April 24, 2024, 06:06:17 AM

News:

Vulcan power down comp eliminator

Started by chas, June 01, 2023, 07:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Hi- Was wondering what your thoughts are on the Vulcan 24t power down compensator eliminator kit. My compensator sounds like a bucket of bolts so I'm hunt for a replacement on my 03 Ultra

JSD

03 had a good comp . How many miles ? Vulcan make good parts .

FSG

I'd pull the primary cover to check before buying anything, 03 comps were OK, has the comp nut been cut 50 thou ?  the noise may well be the rotor rattling

fbn ent

FSG, what is the link here for that mod? I have looked. :scratch:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

FSG probably has hit the hay on the other side of the ocean. Here's his drawings and info regarding the shortening of the compensator nut.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,97775.msg1140715.html#msg1140715

kd

Quote from: FSG on June 03, 2023, 03:50:42 AMI'd pull the primary cover to check before buying anything, 03 comps were OK, has the comp nut been cut 50 thou ?  the noise may well be the rotor rattling

My exact thought
KD

chas

kd

Have you followed up on FSG's suggestion in post #3?  If not, I (along with Ohio) also suggest you do.  The early compensators themselves are very strong and long-lived.  Unfortunately they can come loose and sound like yours.  It can be fixed as shown. The problem is, if you wait too long to do it you risk losing the alternator and causing further damage in the primary that just following the instructions you were given on repair.
KD

jmorton10

As to Vulcan, they make great quality stuff (I have a 21T Vulcan solid engine sprocket in my 124" RK) & the owner is a riot to talk to on the phone ......

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS