May 01, 2024, 11:53:04 AM

News:

Dowel Ring dimension

Started by fbn ent, June 16, 2023, 06:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Quote from: kd on June 19, 2023, 03:36:02 PMHa Ha, I can hear his voice.  His thought process is easy does it - eventually.  Take the artist approach.  That's why I through the dremel method at you.  I am sure you will find joy if you are patient enough to resist the fast bull approach.  It sounds like your neighbour is a mellow dude.

He has to be mellow at 14 litres 02 setting. Helped a friend cover his trailer which has developed a leak in this monsoon we are having (30 inches of snow in the mountains and another day to go). He says tomorrow.

BTW....This is the only bike I have bought new.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

SP33DY

Tap the dowel for a 5/16" bolt, preferably with a bottoming tap. Use a short bolt and a stack of washers to pull the dowel.

fbn ent

Quote from: SP33DY on June 19, 2023, 04:54:36 PMTap the dowel for a 5/16" bolt, preferably with a bottoming tap. Use a short bolt and a stack of washers to pull the dowel.
Yeah, I have an old SE cam plate that will work great as a puller plate. I was thinking 5/16 or 8mm. Thanks Speedy. This thing is a beatch!

SP33DY

Sometimes I have been lucky enough to have the dowel break loose while I was tapping it. Then it came right out!

fbn ent

Quote from: SP33DY on June 19, 2023, 04:54:36 PMTap the dowel for a 5/16" bolt, preferably with a bottoming tap. Use a short bolt and a stack of washers to pull the dowel.

Ding, ding, ding!!! :beer: Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!  :baby: I don't know why this was so hard for me. Old age suxs. Had my first good sleep since this problem surfaced. Now to get the $5 new dowels from the dealer a couple hundred miles away. I scuffed them up too bad to reuse them. Thanks SP33DY

Ohio HD

Good job, and great idea from SP33DY.

Which one was this? The right side of the cam chest or the left one at the two o-rings?

fbn ent

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 22, 2023, 10:54:30 AMGood job, and great idea from SP33DY.

Which one was this? The right side of the cam chest or the left one at the two o-rings?

Both  :banghead:  Just putting it back together now. If I had known about this it would have been WAY easier to be proactive for sure.

Ohio HD

QuoteBoth  :banghead:  Just putting it back together now. If I had known about this it would have been WAY easier to be proactive for sure.

Ok, double trouble. So is it safe to say this is why the oil wasn't building pressure? 

fbn ent

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 22, 2023, 01:43:30 PM
QuoteBoth  :banghead:  Just putting it back together now. If I had known about this it would have been WAY easier to be proactive for sure.

Ok, double trouble. So is it safe to say this is why the oil wasn't building pressure? 

It is a real possibility. I had made longer bolts and caught enough threads to get 75 inch pounds or so Loctited. I hoped they would be okay...nope. This bike is fighting me hard. Working on it used to be second nature but now I'm really wondering about my freeking brain... :wtf: 

FSG

Quote from: hattitude on June 16, 2023, 08:27:44 PMI've installed studs in the three cam chests I've opened since reading the info on HTT...

:baby:  good man  :up:

Hilly13

I've had so much resistance from people on the need to do this when changing cams for them, apparently HD know their stuff, yet I'm changing the cams and tuning it, go figure!
Just because its said don't make it so