May 17, 2024, 04:42:01 AM

News:

03 Heritage starting issue

Started by nascar7613, May 09, 2023, 02:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascar7613

I am working on an 03 Heritage injected. The bike sat for a couple years in customer's garage. Had to replace fuel pump, filter, pressure regulator and regulator bracket and the hoses inside the tank. Has new battery and spark plugs. The bike starts and runs. The problem I am having is I have to let the starter crank it over for 15-20 seconds before it fires when it's cold. It will usually stay running after it starts, but sometimes have to start it 2 or 3 times. Once it starts, it idles fine but when I give it about 1/4 throttle it starts cutting out. Let off the throttle, it idles fine again. Checked for codes, none. Checked fuel pressure, 55-60 lbs idling and when applying throttle. Cleaned ecm connector. Can't see anything obvious. Once the bike warms up, it fires right away, but the sputtering is always there. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ohio HD

I'd try some MAP sensor cleaner and spray out the MAP sensor.

rigidthumper

I had one just like that last summer-it sat for 3 years, and the owner said he had already replaced everything in the fuel delivery system except the injectors. Replaced the injectors, and it ran like a champ!
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

nascar7613

I never considered the map sensor. I did think that possibly the injectors could be the problem. I did remove and clean them when I had the tank off. I could make them click with a battery, filled them up with carb cleaner, but not much came out when I clicked them. I suppose I should spray some starting fluid in the throttle body and see if it fires up right away and if it does, it's probably the injectors. I appreciate the advice!

calif phil

Have you rode it much since the repairs. Recently did all the in-tank fuel components on a 2000 Road King. Ran similar to your bike, long crank times and slight rough idle.  I took it on a 60 mile ride with some VP injector cleaner and was amazed that it smoothed right out and started normally. 

nascar7613

I haven't ridden it at all, no tag on it. I'll put my tag on it and try it, might get lucky!

nascar7613

I replaced the injectors. When I started the bike, it still cranked longer then it should to start, and after it ran for maybe a minute it started misfiring and black smoke was coming from the front cylinder exhaust and started running on the rear cylinder only. When I pulled the front spark plug it was all wet with gas. I put two new spark plugs in it and it did the same thing. Maybe I got a bad injector, not sure yet, I'm going to swap the injectors and see if the problem moves to the rear cylinder. I was thinking maybe the coil is weak, but I can't find an ohm test in the manual for the fuel injected coil. It shows the specifications for primary resistance being .5 to.7 ohms and secondary resistance being 5500 to 7500, but I can't find the test procedure. It has a 4 prong plug with abcd terminals, with a being 12+, b is ion sensing, c & d being f & r cylinders. I would assume you check primary resistance from a to c & d, which checks out ok, but do you check the secondary from tower to tower or tower to one of the terminals?

Fugawee

You may want to consider Checking the Intake Manifold Seals.
If the Bike has sat for that length of time without running, they may be a little on the "Brittle" Side or have a few small cracks in them not giving You a good seal at the Heads.
Personally, I would just go ahead and replace them considering what You have already done.
Who knows how old they may be.
You may also want to check the Plug Wires for Continuity with a Volt/Ohm Meter.

There are a few Videos on YouTube as to how to Test a Coil if You're interested.
It may be easier looking there to answer You Coil Questions.
Good Luck!

nascar7613

Yeah, I looked on you tube but all I can find is the test for the older carb coils. I did check the intake seals and they weren't leaking.

nascar7613

I found that a 2011 Dyna uses the same coil as the 2003 Hertitage injected. In the 2011 Dyna service manual, there is a coil resistance test that says to measure the primary resistance from coil terminal a to terminals c & d, resistance should be .3 to .5 ohms, which it is on my coil. To measure secondary resistance go from terminal a to the front & rear coil secondaries, which I assume are the coil towers, and the resistance should be 3500 to 4500 ohms, which on my coil I get an infinite reading. So according to that test the coil is bad. I'm surprised the bike could run at all with the reading being infinite. Guess I'll try a new coil.

SP33DY

Quote from: nascar7613 on May 30, 2023, 01:07:34 PMI found that a 2011 Dyna uses the same coil as the 2003 Hertitage injected. In the 2011 Dyna service manual, there is a coil resistance test that says to measure the primary resistance from coil terminal a to terminals c & d, resistance should be .3 to .5 ohms, which it is on my coil. To measure secondary resistance go from terminal a to the front & rear coil secondaries, which I assume are the coil towers, and the resistance should be 3500 to 4500 ohms, which on my coil I get an infinite reading. So according to that test the coil is bad. I'm surprised the bike could run at all with the reading being infinite. Guess I'll try a new coil.

Try the high ohm test on a known good coil with your meter. You may find that your meter doesn't have the ability to measure that much resistance. Out of curiosity, I took a new 2007-2017 Twin Cam coil off the shelf and checked it. Fluke meter said 3500 ohms, cheapo meter said infinity.

nascar7613

My meter is a sperry, has been reliable for years, but thanks for the suggestion. I bought a new coil and tested it before I tried it on the bike, tested the same as the old one, hooked it up to the bike and it ran the same. It seemed like a fuel problem to me. The only fuel line I didn't replace was the one from the tank to the fuel rail, so I took it off to take a look at it. Turns out that there is a plunger with a spring behind it that sits in the quick connect end of the hose that was stuck from ethanol deposits and clogging the hose. It was letting enough fuel through for the bike to idle, but not enough to run when applying throttle. I replaced the hose and it fixed the problem, bike runs really well. Thanks to everybody for helping me try to solve the problem!