April 27, 2024, 02:01:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Replacing hand grips

Started by Hossamania, June 26, 2023, 05:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

I've got a '12 Ultra Limited with heated grips. They will need replacement as they are getting sticky but the heat works just fine. Is it possible to just peel the rubber sleeves off and replace them, leaving the grips on the bars, or am I going to have to swap out the complete assemblies? I'm not really interested in covers over the rubber grip, as I like them thin for my small hands, unless there is a very thin cover option.
Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and wire in a full replacement?
Having said I don't want a slip over cover, has anyone tried the Grip Puppies or similar? I'm also concerned about losing heat transfer in chilly weather.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

thumpr54

I can't really answer the question as I've never had heated grips....but you say they are 'sticky'....maybe they just need a good cleaning ?.....I get sun block on my fingers and my grips occasionally get sticky and just need a good cleaning....save yourself some work and $$.....just an idea...if sticky is the only problem...
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

Coyote

Replacing heated grips will not be cheap. 

Maybe try some slide on grip covers. Available on Amazon.

Hossamania

Quote from: thumpr54 on June 26, 2023, 06:19:46 AMI can't really answer the question as I've never had heated grips....but you say they are 'sticky'....maybe they just need a good cleaning ?.....I get sun block on my fingers and my grips occasionally get sticky and just need a good cleaning....save yourself some work and $$.....just an idea...if sticky is the only problem...

They've gotten a good scrubbing, that's my usual go to, but they are just plain worn out.

Quote from: Coyote on June 26, 2023, 06:26:33 AMReplacing heated grips will not be cheap. 

Maybe try some slide on grip covers. Available on Amazon.

I know they're not cheap, and a pain in the ashe to replace, so covers may be the first try. I was just kind of hoping the rubber sleeves could be replaced, but hoping for too much, I'm sure.

Fugawee

I don't have any personal experience with Grip Puppies.
But if they are the Spongey Type, I had a set of non-heated Grips like that on one of My Bikes.
I didn't care for them due to the fact that when they got wet, they lost their original shape and softness.  Plus, they made My hands all black.
But they might work out for You.  Might be worth a shot.
15-20 bucks for a set of those is cheaper than a Set of New Heated Grips, whether HD or Aftermarket.
I'm not so sure that I would attempt to remove the Rubber on the Grips.
With My luck...I would probably break or cut one of the Wires after struggling to remove or replace the Rubber.
A Buddy of Mine, and My Older Brother both have 12' FLHTK's with Heated Grips.
Just as a possible alternative...My Buddy put a Set of Leather Wraps around His Grips for His own comfort reasons.
Just around the Grips...not those long whip-like things.
He too had a concern about the Grip Heat Factor.  Says His worked and work just fine.

kd

Hoss I just checked in with my old buddy Google.  I asked about "rubber gone gummy repair".  (I think the term sticky may give more options)  I think you may find some options there.  I scanned a few that seemed simple.
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on June 26, 2023, 07:45:05 AMHoss I just checked in with my old buddy Google.  I asked about "rubber gone gummy repair".  (I think the term sticky may give more options)  I think you may find some options there.  I scanned a few that seemed simple.

Thanks, I'll look into them.

Tom H

June 26, 2023, 08:37:34 AM #7 Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 08:53:56 AM by Tom H
My heated grip rubbers were getting pretty bad, splitting and such. I looked into what to do to fix them.

The grip puppies and the knock off I tried do work well and let the heat through. They didn't make my fingers black. The downside was they make the grip larger. The knock offs of them, some may be thinner.

EDIT: Before cutting the rubber grip. Try lifting up the flared or straight end next to the switch unit and see if it looks like a plastic tube that the wires are molded in or if they look molded into the rubber. Also, look at going into this with the thought you may have to replace the heated grip. Still worth a shot to see what can be done.

I did replace the rubber grips on my Guzzi heated grips. I had to carefully slice the rubber so I could peal it off. I would lift it up a bit and make a small slice, then repeat. Under my rubber grips was a plastic like tube that the wires were in. So if yours look like that under the rubber, you should be able to change them out.

At least on my bike, to replace the rubber, I had to buy 2 sets of grips. I had to have 2 throttle side grips as they are both the same larger size. Spray the inside of the rubber grip and the heater on the bars with WD40 and slide them on.

When I got the rubber grips off. I looked closely where the wires were. The grips had a molded valley to let the wires through. I needed to just dremel the flat part that goes up against the switch unit a bit so the wire had room.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Leed

I put Grip Puppies on my 05 Gold Wing over the heated grips. Like was already said the heat came through just fine. They do make the grips a little larger but I liked the slightly larger grip's better and I don't have large hands.

Hossamania

As I was reading thru options on-line to cover the grips, all kinds of options came up. Foam, leather, more foam, and then one caught my eye that said shrink tubing and a bulb went off in my head. I have a roll of 2" shrink wrap, along with rolls of 3 or 4 other sizes. I thought what the hell, give it a try. I pulled out an old set for practice, it seemed to work, so I went for it. Seems to work great. I will take it for a ride shortly for a true test and report back. Cheap wins the day again!

You cannot see attachments on this board.

SP33DY

For a cheap custom look, shrink tube comes in a few other colors besides black.

Hossamania

Quote from: SP33DY on June 26, 2023, 04:29:14 PMFor a cheap custom look, shrink tube comes in a few other colors besides black.

Kawasaki green has its appeal, but free has even more appeal!

Fugawee

Hey...if it works, why not?  Good Call!
Just be careful if You have to neaten things up at all, depending on what You are using for a heat source with that multi-colored box in the corner.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Fugawee on June 26, 2023, 04:35:04 PMwith that multi-colored box in the corner.

Right!  What could go wrong? 

Fugawee

Just out of curiosity here...but, with the Heated Grips "On", will it cause the Heat Shrink to shrink more?  Or crack?
Time will tell I suppose.  Should be good for a few months before finding out...I guess.

kd

Did that come out of someone's work van? :smiled:
KD

thumpr54

Quote from: Hossamania on June 26, 2023, 04:32:16 PM
Quote from: SP33DY on June 26, 2023, 04:29:14 PMFor a cheap custom look, shrink tube comes in a few other colors besides black.

Kawasaki green has its appeal, but free has even more appeal!
Free and in stock...what more can you ask for.... :up:
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on June 26, 2023, 05:51:39 PMDid that come out of someone's work van? :smiled:

It came off a cart at our warehouse that was leftover from a job,  had a sign on it saying "free, take what you need." Didn't need it then, but knew I might.

Hossamania

Quote from: Fugawee on June 26, 2023, 04:52:04 PMJust out of curiosity here...but, with the Heated Grips "On", will it cause the Heat Shrink to shrink more?  Or crack?
Time will tell I suppose.  Should be good for a few months before finding out...I guess.

It shouldn't, it takes quite a bit of heat to shrink that stuff down. Once cured it really doesn't react to heat anymore. I know where to get some more if it does...

Quote from: Fugawee on June 26, 2023, 04:35:04 PMHey...if it works, why not?  Good Call!
Just be careful if You have to neaten things up at all, depending on what You are using for a heat source with that multi-colored box in the corner.

Funny, I saw that in the picture after I had used the MAPP gas to shrink the wrap. Made me laugh, the wife just picked that box up tonight for entertaining the grandkids (and me)1 next week.
Luckily, no errant sparks to light the sky.

Hossamania

June 26, 2023, 07:43:59 PM #19 Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 07:59:00 PM by Hossamania
First ride impressions: they feel good, no stickiness anymore, but they are a bit smooth, not slippery, but not grippy either. I test sanded my spare pair that I covered and it put a bit of texture on them, so I put a good sanding on the pair installed on the bike using some 120 grit, then used some glass cleaner on them. They seem a little better, I'll know more next ride. Maybe with some seasoning they will get better too.
Who knows, maybe I'll end up with a foam cover on them anyway. But for now, way better.

Fugawee

June 26, 2023, 08:02:22 PM #20 Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 08:30:51 PM by Fugawee
I don't know if You have access to this particular product to borrow from Your Job.
We used to use it when I worked for the Phone Company.
It is called 3M Pullshrink.  Good product.  Limitless uses.
If You go on Ebay and search...3M Pullshrink, You'll see what it's all about if You may be un-familiar with it.
Maybe there will be some on the Cart in the Warehouse.

I have a bunch of Rolls of various Diameters of Heat Shrink from My days at Work.
It was amazing what they would place in the Dumpsters.

Hossamania

It's cheaper to throw it out than to inventory it, stock it, keep track of it, then send it out to another job. Saw it all the time. Usually sealed boxes can get returned, but open packages get tossed. I commented once that it was a lot of good product getting tossed. The warehouse guy said "you want it?" I said "Well, no." He threw it right in the trash.

tomboyjr

When I bought my '10 Ultra, the dealer had some 'Grab-on' foam grips sitting there, so I bought them to try them. They were a dense foam, not like the foam covers which are squishier. When I put them on I found out they quite a bit fatter than the stock grips. But after a few rides I really got to like them. I found that my fingers didnt get cramps after an all day ride.
 When I got my Road Glide, I wanted to put the same grips on but that bike came with heated grips,so I tried the foam covers. The heat still comes thru just fine. But I like the fatter grips so much I put them on all my bikes, the Tiger 800 and the DRZ400. They seem to keep the vibrations from coming thru the grips.
 Now if I ride a bike with stock smaller grips, it feels funny-lol.

Hossamania

I'm going to visit a local bike shop and see what they have for slip on grip covers and give them a try, otherwise might order some Grip Puppies.
The nice thing about the shrink wrap is that it didn't really add any diameter to the grips, and can always be cut off if necessary. I also think the shrinkwrap might enhance the heat, it seemed to squish the rubber a little tighter to the base.

crock

Quote from: Hossamania on June 26, 2023, 08:42:14 PMIt's cheaper to throw it out than to inventory it, stock it, keep track of it, then send it out to another job. Saw it all the time. Usually sealed boxes can get returned, but open packages get tossed. I commented once that it was a lot of good product getting tossed. The warehouse guy said "you want it?" I said "Well, no." He threw it right in the trash.

From what I've seen If it's an outside contractor (Especially a big one), If a box or even a pallet is opened they no longer know how much of what is left and to inventory it or ship it somewhere it gets scraped. If it's there it was figured in the bid and was paid for. We recently had a new roof put on the plant. BIG building(cost 3.8mil to get it done). When the contractor left the foreman said"Do you want us to scrap the remaining stock or will you?" We kept it
Crock

calif phil

Kury Akyn makes a cover for heated grips, that looks decent and even covers the thermostat knob, the only things is they are huge, really adds a lot to the diameter, unfortunately I am not used to holding something that big.  :embarrassed:  :cry:

Tom H

tomboyjr brought up the Grab On brand. That was the brand I tried. A little cheaper than the Grip Puppies and work just as well.

IIRR the material is hypalon, the same as used on salt water fishing rods.

Tom

Hossamania

Quote from: crock on June 27, 2023, 05:03:43 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on June 26, 2023, 08:42:14 PMIt's cheaper to throw it out than to inventory it, stock it, keep track of it, then send it out to another job. Saw it all the time. Usually sealed boxes can get returned, but open packages get tossed. I commented once that it was a lot of good product getting tossed. The warehouse guy said "you want it?" I said "Well, no." He threw it right in the trash.

From what I've seen If it's an outside contractor (Especially a big one), If a box or even a pallet is opened they no longer know how much of what is left and to inventory it or ship it somewhere it gets scraped. If it's there it was figured in the bid and was paid for. We recently had a new roof put on the plant. BIG building(cost 3.8mil to get it done). When the contractor left the foreman said"Do you want us to scrap the remaining stock or will you?" We kept it

And where is that stock now? Taking up space on the warehouse?

tomboyjr

Quote from: Tom H on June 27, 2023, 08:11:53 AMtomboyjr brought up the Grab On brand. That was the brand I tried. A little cheaper than the Grip Puppies and work just as well.

IIRR the material is hypalon, the same as used on salt water fishing rods.

Tom
My Grab-on grips were actual grips, not grip covers. I really liked them. Had a chrome cap on the end, they looked like any other brand of grips for a Harley.

Hossamania

The shrink tubing proved a bit slippery, though better than the worn out sticky stock grips. Grip Puppies on the way, will give a review once installed. They should slip on nicely over the shrink tubing compared to wrestling them over the sticky grips.
The BMW guys love the Puppies, so they must be the choice of champions! If they suck, easily removed and on to the next product.
Eventually the heat will fail and I'll need new grips anyway. Just trying to avoid the pia of wiring them in.

On a positive note, the grips on my old '01 needed replacing too, went back to stock grips and they feel nice.

Tom H

The Grab On grips. Must have been the "Grab On Grip Covers". I did not know they made other products.  They also claim EPDM foam, not sure it that is the same as hypalon. They sure felt and installed like my salt water foam handles. I build my own fishing rods from a blank.

Hossamania. You "may" want to remove the shrink tube. That could make the new Grip Puppies a bit larger than their stock size. Also "could" make them slip on the relatively slippery shrink tubing.

As I mentioned, WD40 is your friend here. Slid a set right over my smooth but ribbed rubber type grips using WD. If you have a MX type grip with the large tall thin ribbs, might not work as well or at all. Once the WD drys in less then an hour, no slipping.

Tom

Hossamania

Another update, the Grip Puppies turned up early. Got them installed easily. Cut off the shrink tubing. The old grips are now worse than ever, soft and gummy from the heat applied to the shrink tube. Sprayed some glass cleaner on them and the covers slipped on with a little effort. They are thicker than I normally like in a grip. Took them for a ride last night, they are comfortable in general. I was worried about clutch handle clearance, but everything worked fine. They have good gription, easy to roll on the throttle just using a light touch. I will continue to look at thinner options, and I'm sure at some point the heating elements in the grips will fail, requiring replacement. But for now, I can live with these, they are not bad.
If anyone orders them, they probably need to be the Big Paw to fit over HD grips. Metric and European bars are smaller, allowing the regular size Puppies. Measure your grips, the Big Paw says 1.45" to 1.65" diameter grips. Mine were right at 1.5" with the shrink tube. Maybe could have gotten away with standard Puppies, but would have been a fight to install.

That's a whole lot of typing for a grip review!

Hossamania

January 03, 2024, 02:09:24 PM #32 Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 02:14:37 PM by Hossamania
Update #whatever: the Grip Puppies were just too thick for my liking, and did not transfer heat very well. Doing some more searching, I found some shrink tubing to repair fishing rod handles. They have a little "stiction" to them, not as much as the stock rubber grip, but not as smoothe as normal shrink tubing. We'll see how they do. Winter now, so testing may be minimal. (I still have a replacement set of grips that will eventually get installed, just too lazy to do it yet.)
I got the 45 millimeter size, but 40 would probably have worked, maybe even 35 but didn't want to chance it. Ordered from Amazon. $10

Hossamania

Hossamania

A quick update, I just got back from a ride, 30°F, heaters on, thicker winter gloves,the new skins worked well on the grips. Much more comfortable than the foam Grip Puppies, good grip with the leather gloves. Heat transferred very well. For now I'm happy with them. Update later if I rede them with no gloves before changing out to new grips. Will probably push that off as long as possible with the way these feel.