April 27, 2024, 01:13:43 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

103 vs 107 build advice needed

Started by Adam76, July 25, 2023, 07:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

Quote from: 60Gunner on October 31, 2023, 07:27:23 AMThis is a 107 in an 06 softail with stock head pipes and slip ons. Nice hp AND torque. Not many that put out nice square numbers over 120/120.

Nice build  - No headwork?

Can't see what cams in this build? Tman 625PS ?

Arseclown

Yes it will have head work as you can't get hp like that without it. And throttle body upgraded. And probably clutch upgraded too. Slippery slope.

It's not relevant to your build without head work unless demonstrating stock headers work well

Adam76

Quote from: Arseclown on October 31, 2023, 11:10:57 PMYes it will have head work as you can't get hp like that without it. And throttle body upgraded. And probably clutch upgraded too. Slippery slope.

It's not relevant to your build without head work unless demonstrating stock headers work well

Agreed. It's a slippery slope.

I think I've got more than enough good advice to move forward and get started.

Cheers

60Gunner

November 01, 2023, 05:32:48 AM #103 Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 06:18:43 AM by 60Gunner
Quote from: Arseclown on October 31, 2023, 11:10:57 PMYes it will have head work as you can't get hp like that without it. And throttle body upgraded. And probably clutch upgraded too. Slippery slope.

Yes it has head work, Yes, that's what it's demonstrating. Extremely well I might add. As good as any 2in1 I've seen. Especially one in quiet mode.

60Gunner

Something suggested earlier. Doing the heads instead opens up any cam you set them up for.

Leave it a 103 and do head work.

Adam76

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 31, 2023, 06:35:33 AM107 @ 10.8 with the T-Man 590s works a treat :)

Thanks, we have installed a Cobra el diablo 2-1 exhaust.

With stock heads, would the Tman 590s work well at the right compression for broad TQ curve?

Thanks

rigidthumper

A little soggy down low with stock compression, but it works OK. This is a 103 @ 9.6 with the TR590s, stock heads.You cannot see attachments on this board.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

60Gunner

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 10, 2023, 03:19:40 AMA little soggy down low with stock compression, but it works OK. This is a 103 @ 9.6 with the TR590s, stock heads.You cannot see attachments on this board.

It will be even worse with his pipe and they're. pushing stock springs but...
Short megaphones are notorious for low end reversion. Stock compression won't help. A recipe for disappointment.

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 10, 2023, 03:19:40 AMA little soggy down low with stock compression, but it works OK. This is a 103 @ 9.6 with the TR590s, stock heads.You cannot see attachments on this board.

I'm impressed by this. Shows the versatility of this cam. I don't know about the cobra mufflers (maybe causing the soft bottom)... it would be interesting to see with a set of proven slip-ons with the dx.

I like options people can grow with.

Don't think it's a smart choice for the build in question (to bolt in a 590 with a shorty 2-1)... but great info for another day!

Ohio HD

QuoteI don't know about the cobra mufflers (maybe causing the soft bottom)

I would say that stock compression with that set of cams is the lower torque at the early RPM's. The corrected compression is under 9:1, so you can't expect a lot.

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 10, 2023, 08:33:42 AM
QuoteI don't know about the cobra mufflers (maybe causing the soft bottom)

I would say that stock compression with that set of cams is the lower torque at the early RPM's. The corrected compression is under 9:1, so you can't expect a lot.

Agree 100%. I do wonder if a set of mellow or fullsac with a 1.75 or 2" baffle could improve though... Don't know about cobras w/ 2" baffles... are they any good? I only know the neighbor haters and how they perform down low..

I would use an option like this for someone looking (for budget or other reasons) to do headwork later, 107/110 later, bigger tb later...

Ohio HD

It's possible a change in pipe may help some, but I doubt worth the expense. Unless you're going after a stepping stone build down the road. Sometimes you have to step back, look at the funds available, and understand it'll be better than a stock motor. But maybe just a tad soft downstairs as Rigidthumper said and shows.

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 10, 2023, 08:46:49 AMIt's possible a change in pipe may help some, but I doubt worth the expense. Unless you're going after a stepping stone build down the road. Sometimes you have to step back, look at the funds available, and understand it'll be better than a stock motor. But maybe just a tad soft downstairs as Rigidthumper said and shows.

👍👍

Hilly13

Quote from: Adam76 on November 09, 2023, 09:24:12 PM
Quote from: rigidthumper on October 31, 2023, 06:35:33 AM107 @ 10.8 with the T-Man 590s works a treat :)

Thanks, we have installed a Cobra el diablo 2-1 exhaust.

With stock heads, would the Tman 590s work well at the right compression for broad TQ curve?

Thanks

You will notice a heck of a difference from stock for sure with the comp raised.
Just because its said don't make it so

harpwrench

Too bad that pipe doesn't route the rear primary tube forward for more length like the Supermeg. If I were picking a cam for it I would be looking for an exhaust opening around 50 degrees. If you open it sooner, at some point I'd expect less responsiveness on part throttle/cruise tip-in, and the earlier you open it the more likely I'd expect a dip.

It looks to me like a 590PS2 would work great with a 4 deg retard sprocket

S&S hp103 would also work well and maybe available in ez start.

Just my opinion, looking at it like the front half of a 2-1-2 (except with one outlet), and my experiences running them

Adam76

Thanks,  not sure how stock compression started to be mentioned.....  stock heads yes,  but any compression from 10 right up to 11. Haven't bought pistons yet.  :up:

Adam76

Quote from: harpwrench on November 10, 2023, 03:43:32 PMToo bad that pipe doesn't route the rear primary tube forward for more length like the Supermeg. If I were picking a cam for it I would be looking for an exhaust opening around 50 degrees. If you open it sooner, at some point I'd expect less responsiveness on part throttle/cruise tip-in, and the earlier you open it the more likely I'd expect a dip.

Just my opinion, looking at it like the front half of a 2-1-2 (except with one outlet), and my experiences running them

Yeah, the pipe was definitely a compromise. It is a Softail though  :SM:

Hilly13

Quote from: Adam76 on November 10, 2023, 08:31:05 PM
Quote from: harpwrench on November 10, 2023, 03:43:32 PMToo bad that pipe doesn't route the rear primary tube forward for more length like the Supermeg. If I were picking a cam for it I would be looking for an exhaust opening around 50 degrees. If you open it sooner, at some point I'd expect less responsiveness on part throttle/cruise tip-in, and the earlier you open it the more likely I'd expect a dip.

I think you "framed" that response in a very "counterbalanced" way 😁
Just because its said don't make it so

60Gunner

Quote from: Adam76 on November 10, 2023, 08:31:05 PM

Compromise for what? A look?
Guess that's one way to put it.