April 27, 2024, 12:35:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

103 vs 107 build advice needed

Started by Adam76, July 25, 2023, 07:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

July 26, 2023, 09:06:33 PM #25 Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 10:05:03 PM by Adam76
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 26, 2023, 07:27:29 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on July 26, 2023, 06:20:06 PMThanks Ohio,

If he stays at 103 but could afford mild headwork, what cams would you suggest other than the 48's ?
Cheers
As he stated the true duals with fishtails can cause havoc with the tune. But if that's what the guy wants, he may not see the full potential of what ever is used. The truth shows up in the tuning.

Agreed. I think I might just suggest Andrews 48 cams only at this stage and see how he likes it.

Thanks guys

IronButt70

Quote from: Adam76 on July 26, 2023, 09:06:33 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 26, 2023, 07:27:29 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on July 26, 2023, 06:20:06 PMThanks Ohio,

If he stays at 103 but could afford mild headwork, what cams would you suggest other than the 48's ?
Cheers
As he stated the true duals with fishtails can cause havoc with the tune. But if that's what the guy wants, he may not see the full potential of what ever is used. The truth shows up in the tuning.

Agreed. I think I might just suggest Andrews 48 cams only at this stage and see how he likes it.

Thanks guys
I have a set of TTS100 cams that I pulled from my 103 softail that your friend can try if he'd like. Just pay for shipping. It's a little known cam but work very well in a 103. They have about 50k miles on them but the lobes look very good with no pitting or scratches. Let me know.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

hrdtail78

I would use the 555tq cam from Tman.  Proven low end tq provider.  A cam closing any sooner is not going to produce any noticeable more tq with exhaust choice.  Slightly decking heads and thinner HG and you can get the CCP of a 20 something close, but why?  Overlap will allow it to carry out further as well.  Once again how far it carries out is gonna be based on exhaust.

Goal would be match cam with my assumed power curve of pipe and hope the cam puts up a good fight to broaden it as much as possible.

Stock cable driven TB?
Semper Fi

Adam76

Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 27, 2023, 10:57:35 AMI would use the 555tq cam from Tman.  Proven low end tq provider.  A cam closing any sooner is not going to produce any noticeable more tq with exhaust choice.  Slightly decking heads and thinner HG and you can get the CCP of a 20 something close, but why?  Overlap will allow it to carry out further as well.  Once again how far it carries out is gonna be based on exhaust.

Goal would be match cam with my assumed power curve of pipe and hope the cam puts up a good fight to broaden it as much as possible.

Stock cable driven TB?

Thanks Hrdtail, that's good advice - matching the cams to the exhaust is something I'm trying to do.

I think 2016 came out with TBW as far as I know.
Cheers

hrdtail78

Off the top of my head.  I believe it does have the 50mm TBW.
Semper Fi

Adam76

July 27, 2023, 07:49:58 PM #30 Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 08:40:39 PM by Adam76
Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 27, 2023, 06:52:35 PMOff the top of my head.  I believe it does have the 50mm TBW.

:up:

Adam76

July 27, 2023, 10:41:54 PM #31 Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 11:00:54 PM by Adam76
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 26, 2023, 05:57:00 PMIf you're just looking to keep it simple for now, I agree with keeping it a 103". As well if the heads aren't in the budget, stick an Andrews 48 in there. It won't be a power house, but it'll move pretty good.

Would mild headwork really improve this result with the 48s ??  Or if headwork is in the budget, should we be looking at a different cam?

The 2 charts below has 48s with mild headwork, and the other one stock 103" with a good tune.... There's really not that much difference between the two, I'm wondering if just cams is really worth it??

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,103352.0.html

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?msg=1283645

FXDBI

Quote from: Adam76 on July 27, 2023, 10:41:54 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 26, 2023, 05:57:00 PMIf you're just looking to keep it simple for now, I agree with keeping it a 103". As well if the heads aren't in the budget, stick an Andrews 48 in there. It won't be a power house, but it'll move pretty good.

Would mild headwork really improve this result with the 48s ??  Or if headwork is in the budget, should we be looking at a different cam?

The thread below has 48s with mild headwork, and doesn't look that much better that some of the charts in the dyno section with just 48s, stock heads and a good tune?

Well mild head work opens a lot of doors, H-D 110 drop on kit just the jugs and pistons, heads cleaned up set to 83cc with 585 easy starts is pretty good bang for your buck. Whats the plan on tune?  Bob

Adam76

Quote from: FXDBI on July 27, 2023, 11:01:26 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on July 27, 2023, 10:41:54 PM

The thread below has 48s with mild headwork, and doesn't look that much better that some of the charts in the dyno section with just 48s, stock heads and a good tune?

Well mild head work opens a lot of doors, H-D 110 drop on kit just the jugs and pistons, heads cleaned up set to 83cc with 585 easy starts is pretty good bang for your buck. Whats the plan on tune?  Bob

Hi Bob, no budget for the 110"and 585 plus headwork... Tune is Maximus Direct Link.

I'm just wondering what the best bang for the buck is, because it seems the TC 103"HO motors respond so well to just a stage 1 and a good tune..... Makes me think twice about adding cams and even mild headwork, if you know what I'm saying.

Cheers

Hilly13

Thing to remember Adam is you don't ride that dyno WOT graph, I know you know that, porting for a target is always worth it but given he is set on them pipes go with what Jason says, he has tuned more of them than we have ever ridden combined.

Added, I've tuned a few stock cam bikes for mates that were hell bent on cams until they rode it tuned, tuned a few cam only ones as well, big smiles all round, are you road tuning it or got a dyno man on hand?
Just because its said don't make it so

Adam76

Quote from: Hilly13 on July 28, 2023, 12:46:27 AMThing to remember Adam is you don't ride that dyno WOT graph, I know you know that, porting for a target is always worth it but given he is set on them pipes go with what Jason says, he has tuned more of them than we have ever ridden combined.

Added, I've tuned a few stock cam bikes for mates that were hell bent on cams until they rode it tuned, tuned a few cam only ones as well, big smiles all round, are you road tuning it or got a dyno man on hand?

I lost the great tuner in my city, but yes I will get it tuned by a pro on the dyno.

I think I know what you're saying. Just a simple cam and tune, or go all out with a big bore and heads.

I think he'll be happy with just cams. Remind me again, what Jason suggest??
Cheers

Hilly13

Post 27 is my referral, the HO cam tuned is decent but if you have to pay for a tune chucking the best fit cam in first makes sense to me.

Hossamania

#1: Set the budget. This will determine the next steps.

Best bang for the buck is a moving target. First, the buck to be spent has to be determined.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Adam76

July 28, 2023, 05:48:27 AM #38 Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 06:40:12 AM by Adam76
Quote from: Hilly13 on July 28, 2023, 02:32:47 AMPost 27 is my referral, the HO cam tuned is decent but if you have to pay for a tune chucking the best fit cam in first makes sense to me.
That's good advice. And you agree that the Tman TQ555 cams are the best fit?
Cheers

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on July 28, 2023, 05:22:45 AM#1: Set the budget. This will determine the next steps.

Best bang for the buck is a moving target. First, the buck to be spent has to be determined.

Thanks Hoss. There was no real budget set, it was more a case of stay at 103" and keep it simple or do a 107" and for a whole bunch of extra money, how much more will he actually gain?  Especially given the poor exhaust choice.

Thanks.  :up:

Hossamania

My budget was set by the statement: I know I can't beat everybody, but I have to beat my friends.

The shop said, "we have a package for that."
They did.

Maybe more than setting the budget, setting the goal of performance wanted is key.

Adam76

Quote from: Hossamania on July 28, 2023, 06:22:04 AMMy budget was set by the statement: I know I can't beat everybody, but I have to beat my friends.

The shop said, "we have a package for that."
They did.

Maybe more than setting the budget, setting the goal of performance wanted is key.

Yeah, I see your point. Maybe I've been looking at it back to front.

My statement would be: "I want the bike to run significantly better than stock stage 1 to make the effort and $$$ worthwhile"....

If that means cams only, great.
If it means cams and mild headwork, great.
If it means the only way is to go to a well designed 107" package, then I will understand the choices properly.

Thanks.

Hossamania

With that in mind, and trying to keep the budget in mind, I would go with head work and cams to match. Choose cams to match the riding style, not chasing Dyno numbers. Going with a bigger bore does not add a lot of money to the build, but it does cause budget creep, and potential issues if not done properly. You've been down this road and understand budget creep.
Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Hilly13

Quote from: Adam76 on July 28, 2023, 05:48:27 AM
Quote from: Hilly13 on July 28, 2023, 02:32:47 AMPost 27 is my referral, the HO cam tuned is decent but if you have to pay for a tune chucking the best fit cam in first makes sense to me.
Cheers
I don't know if they are the best fit for your mate's expectations but the reasons he mentioned that cam are sound, you could run a few cams in there, all would be an improvement if tuned right, what Hoss said above is logical as well but exhaust choice has to be factored in, if he wants to keep it how it is I personally wouldn't spend on more than a cam and tune.

Adam76

Quote from: Hilly13 on July 28, 2023, 11:24:26 AM
Quote from: Adam76 on July 28, 2023, 05:48:27 AM
Cheers
I don't know if they are the best fit for your mate's expectations but the reasons he mentioned that cam are sound, you could run a few cams in there, all would be an improvement if tuned right, what Hoss said above is logical as well but exhaust choice has to be factored in, if he wants to keep it how it is I personally wouldn't spend on more than a cam and tune.

Thanks, makes good sense.

Adam76

Quote from: boooby1744 on July 25, 2023, 11:17:37 PMWith that exhaust,it would be a good idea to lower overall gearing.

I'm looking at the Andrews 30T and the 31T  trans pulley.... what would you recommending for my application?

Thanks, I have never done any changes to gearing before, so this is new territory for me.  :teeth:

Hilly13

30-70 makes it a different animal 😁

Adam76

Quote from: Hilly13 on July 29, 2023, 11:33:35 PM30-70 makes it a different animal 😁

Thanks Hilly.

What is the 70 part, and does it require a belt change?

Can you just change the trans pulley only? Or do you have to do both?

Cheers
Cheers

Adam76

July 30, 2023, 01:30:31 AM #48 Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 01:36:48 AM by Adam76
Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 26, 2023, 10:50:15 AMI would recommend 103 and head work.  Valve job, pocket porting and set the CC to what you want based on cam  choice.

Even if he isn't trying to bang of the rev limiter.  The worked heads will bring in lower RPM tq as well.

Thanks.

This is the plan I will suggest.
Since we will probably pull the heads anyway, we'll go with a valve job, cc'ing and pocket porting and a .030" HG to set compression.
I think your suggestion of the Tman 555TQ cams is probably what we'll go with as well.
possibly a gearing change with a 30T trans pully?
Then a good tune and he should be happy.  :chop:

Thanks

Hilly13

Quote from: Adam76 on July 30, 2023, 01:24:58 AM
Quote from: Hilly13 on July 29, 2023, 11:33:35 PM30-70 makes it a different animal 😁

Thanks Hilly.

What is the 70 part, and does it require a belt change?

Can you just change the trans pulley only? Or do you have to do both?

Cheers
Cheers

30 front 70 rear, you could do both or either only but both is better, if both I used my stock belt so assume it would be the same for other models, just one might require a different belt, not sure there.