Late 5-speed shifter shaft sleeve in early 5-speed case

Started by billbuilds, August 24, 2023, 11:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

I measure the old sleeve OD at .5620 and the new sleeve (p/n 34979-00) OD at .5515. Needless to say it falls right thru the hole in the case.  :banghead: 

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

JW113

What year is this early 5 speed? I put the entire shift set up from a '05 TC into my '92. No problem at all.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Deye76

Quote from: JW113 on August 25, 2023, 03:53:34 PMWhat year is this early 5 speed? I put the entire shift set up from a '05 TC into my '92. No problem at all.

-JW
:up:  :up: 04' in my 92', along with 3.15 primary ratio from the '04. right on JW113
Billbuilds, is this a pre- 90' ?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

billbuilds

The tranny is a Sputhe 5-in4. Except for the gears and shafts which are supposed Andrews, the shifter drum, supports and pawl assembly are early Harley. The early shifter shaft sleeve (the one in the tranny) is 33114-79. It's app 1-1/2" in length. The later 5-speed shifter shaft sleeve is 34979-00 and it's app. 1-3/4" in length. I needed the extra pp. 1/4" in order to be able to use the newer 34972-02B shifter shaft/pawl assembly that Turboprop alludes to in his upgrade post. I don't know that Sputhe used the early Harley sleeve or machined one of their own but mine is bigger in diameter than the 34979-00 so it was either have a custom sleeve made (which I can't really afford) or make a spacer. I chose the later.
    I cleaned up the outer surface of the sleeve that I'd removed with some fine emery paper, lubed it with some of the Torco assembly lube and pressed it back in place with the Jims 1664 tool. That thing worked pretty slick. Since I had a sleeve that was pretty much useless to me as-is I figured it would make a great candidate for a .28 long spacer. Got one Accurately cut at a local machine shop. The spacer now moves with the spring and the sleeve end rubs on the spacer end when the pawl shaft moves but it's not a huge amount and I think that the Red stuff will help keep the friction minimal. Notice the witness marks on the sleeve from the old spring. Was a lot of binding going on there. You cannot see attachments on this board.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

billbuilds

JW113 and Deye76, Did you guys have to change your sleeve to use the latest shifter shaft/pawl assembly? There are a bunch of 90's era HD shifter schematics on line that do not show a sleeve in them.

Dan89flstc

If you want to use the old length bushing, just make a spacer to go inside to make up the needed length, a lot of guys have done that.

You can cut a piece off the new bushing to make the spacer.

The new part number 34979-00 spacer fit fine in my `89 case.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

billbuilds

Quote from: Dan89flstc on August 27, 2023, 05:53:46 AMIf you want to use the old length bushing, just make a spacer to go inside to make up the needed length, a lot of guys have done that.

You can cut a piece off the new bushing to make the spacer.

The new part number 34979-00 spacer fit fine in my `89 case.

Yes, that's what I did. If you look closely at the photo I posted I think that you will be able to see the edge of the spacer protruding from beneath the spring wind. I made that false assumption that the bushing that came in the Sputhe 5-in4 was the same OD as the newer/longer 34979-00. The Jims tool and the 2lb brass hammer both arrived before the new bushing and wanting to be ready to install it I removed the old one. Anyhow, the new style pawl assembly is in place and I'm on the fence about whether to buy a used 02-06 drum and supports to refurbish or dig a lot deeper for the Baker.

JW113

2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

billbuilds

Just called Baker and found out that you have their pawl assembly with their Smooth Shift drum. I haven't seen mention of that anywhere the thing is marketed including their website. Refurbishing a used one will be easier on the pocket book and, as has been mentioned, likely the better choice anyhow.