May 08, 2024, 01:51:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Custom Oil Bag dilemma

Started by Sleepless, August 27, 2023, 07:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleepless

Good day and greatings - very happy to be onboard -

I have been told different things re this question by the local Harley dealership and a local mechanic.

I want to do an oil service for Oily Sue who is a 2000 XLH 883 sporty with a hardtail frame and a custom oil bag.

The usual "unplug the oil hose" thing to drain the engine oil wont work cos there isn't one (a hose where I would expect to see one that is, there is an engine).

The oil bag (pictured) has a drain plug.  It also has 4 hoses on its underside which are connected to .... things.

Is it as simple as draining the oil bag from its plug, swapping the filter, filling with the standard amount of oil and riding off into the sunset - or am I missing something.

Harley dealership confused me even more by telling me the engine and transmission oil run from the same oil tank for my year and model... which I don't think is the case as the primary looks standard with a standard drain plug etc.

Any help, finger pointing, laughter at my ineptitude and stupid question will be received with equanimity and thanks -

Have a marvellous day - and a close up of the underside of the oil bag is below:

JW113

1. Find a different dealer. XLs share oil in the trans and primary.

2. Do exactly as you described above. It's just that simple.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Sleepless

Thanks - appreciate the reply and sorry for the stupid question - makes sense now!

Hossamania

Definitely not a stupid question. We have to learn about our bikes somehow.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.