CV40 Idle: 12.9 Cruise 13.9 WOT 13.2 - Slow Roll on Throttle 15.2????

Started by Yo J, June 10, 2009, 06:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yo J

Quote from: ORork on June 13, 2009, 06:14:11 AM
OK you put the smaller pilot i

I tried the 48 with N8EA + 1 Shim and it was way lean and I could not adjust via idle screw... so I went back to 50 with no shim and I am rich down low at 1 turn and way lean at cruise 16+... if I go two turns out my idle afr is ~12.3 and the cruise goes to > ~14.9 with NO shim....

SO for today I will just sand the shim or look for a thinner one... then I will have to do more reading... thanks for the advice

ORork

shimming the needle less isn't going to enrichen any where. When you're at cruise speed your on the fat shank of the needle. put in a skinnier needle. Or, if they're available, get a larger needle jet (not the needle, the hole/jet the needle passes through).
04FXD95HTCCCNC84cc03hgTW67g1.67rrMik45DTT3.37CSpipes many parts on the wall!

Jeffd

are you sure of the accuracy of your afr meter?  try an N72S needle. 

Yo J

Quote from: Jeffd on June 13, 2009, 07:03:50 AM

Good question going to BattleField HD for the Dyno shoot out... stay tuned... I reckon..

FLTRI

Something is simply not right here.
Idle AFR is fine between 13.5-14.2 AFR. No need to run excessively rich (<13.5) @ idle.
If good idle is attained w/#50 @ 1/2 turn but you say w/#48 it is way lean w/screw almost falling out, something's wrong. There just isn't that much difference between the 2 jets to cause 1 to be way rich and the other way lean.
Cruise AFR is controlled by the needle. Raising the needle will make the cruise richer and lowering it makes the cruise leaner.
So again:
With the #48 pilot adjust the idle AFR to 13.5-14.0 reading whichever cylinder reads the leanest @ idle.
Idle screw adjustment will only make a very small change to the cruise AFR.....very small, if measurable at all.
The needle shimmed to produce 13.5-14.5 reading the leaner of the 2 cylinders is ideal.
The main jet that produced the 13.2-13.7 AFR @ WOT is ideal.
Not rocket science just understanding what does what.
HTH,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Admiral Akbar

FLTRI

Yo J

Quote from: YOJ on June 13, 2009, 08:21:59 AM
Quote from: Jeffd on June 13, 2009, 07:03:50 AM

Good question going to BattleField HD for the Dyno shoot out... stay tuned... I reckon..

OK got back from BFHD... Travis compared the digital meter I have on the RK with the DynoJet and the was a .7 diff (DynoJet read leaner).  He said my meter ran richer :dgust:....  RK hit  101TQ/90HP ... will post in Dyno section tomorrow night when I can scan charts in...

It has been suggested that I go 2 shims on needle and 48...

If I wanted to start over what would be a good baseline for jets & needle?

Mayor.... talked to Wayne & Travis @ BFHD - they said they had a 5-7% error reading low in Apr Dyno Shoot out..  Ultra was 98TQ/90HP (1.8/1.5 valves)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions/help/comments...

FLTRI

Quote from: YOJ on June 13, 2009, 09:02:46 PM
It has been suggested that I go 2 shims on needle and 48...
If it needs more fuel @ cruise that is perfectly acceptable to do.
QuoteIf I wanted to start over what would be a good baseline for jets & needle?
Same as above, but why start over since you are so close to getting it right?
Bob

Overcamber

geez I love reading about all this fine tweaking..makes me want to go and buy a afr meter  :smilep:
Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a warning shot Won't be fired !

Overcamber

what would be a decent brand of afr meter to shop for for my carbed 2003? do people sell them used once they tune their bike or just keep them installed forever? thanks
Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a warning shot Won't be fired !