September 20, 2024, 06:28:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

95” Wide Glide - 12.456s@108.8mph

Started by chris.m.j, July 23, 2024, 07:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris.m.j

This is my second summer taking the Wide Glide down the track. My fastest time is 12.456 @108.8mph (dragy is about 0.02 quicker than the time slips). The bike is at 114hp and 106ft-lbs. I'm about 160lbs without gear.

Any advice? I'm consistently around 1.85s in the 60'. I launch around 3000rpm but snapping wide open throttle too quick will wheelie the front or spin the rear. My best last year was 1.781s.

How low can this bike go? I'll put on a stickier street/strip tire later this season. I might switch to mid controls over the winter. Should I mess with the front/rear pulley ratio? Does belt drive vs chain matter?

I ride this bike on the track these days more than the street. No highway trips. Looking to start bracket racing after a few more practice rounds.

JSD

What is your motor set up ? A chain rear will make it easier to change gear ratio. What are you using 32/70!

chris.m.j

Quote from: JSD on July 23, 2024, 10:08:33 PMWhat is your motor set up ? A chain rear will make it easier to change gear ratio. What are you using 32/70!

95" with Chris Rivas 584 camshaft, RB Racing LSR exhaust, HPI 55mm throttle body, head work.

Haven't changed pulleys so I think 32/70 is correct.

JSD

If staying with belt you could fit a 30 tooth it will move the rear axle bake 1/4". I have done this to a 02 95" fxwg 

chris.m.j

Quote from: JSD on July 24, 2024, 05:13:03 PMIf staying with belt you could fit a 30 tooth it will move the rear axle bake 1/4". I have done this to a 02 95" fxwg

Looks like a 30 tooth front lowers the 4th gear top speed from 126mph to 118mph.

My top run so far is 110mph. I could try it out and see.

JSD

I used the Baker pulleys as they re drilled to be lighter. moving rear wheel back a bit should be another advantage.

hrdtail78

A good tire and proper pressure will help your 60ft.

Is this prepped or unprepped service?  How far off the street do you want to take it?
Semper Fi

chris.m.j

Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 28, 2024, 11:02:21 AMA good tire and proper pressure will help your 60ft.

Is this prepped or unprepped service?  How far off the street do you want to take it?

It's prepped. And I'm fine taking the bike "off the street" more as I improve or enjoy it more. I have two bikes and this one is more of a "bike night" ride. I don't commute or take trips on it.

So I'm mostly trying to practice with what I have and get consistent. But if there is low hanging fruit that's cheap and easy I can put it on the to-do list and gradually check them off. I need a new tire soon so I'll put something stickier on. A 30 tooth front pulley is like $200 and a weekend of wrenching. I can get that past "accounting" if you know what i mean.

chris.m.j

And I went 12.235s @ 109.66 the last time out.

60'  ... 1.837
330' ... 5.066
1/8  ... 7.793 @91.22
1000 ... 10.186

Only once though, the rest were 12.54, 12.50, 12.41.

hrdtail78

Lowest hanging fruit is setting up your chassis.  A 17 inch rim will allow you to use a Shinko hook up and lower axle height.  I just bought a Busa gen 1 rim with sprocket carrier and half-life Pilot tire for $120 of Ebay.  Decent suspension to set your pivot height, and strap front end.  Get your 60's down into the 1.6's.
Semper Fi

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hrdtail78

They are legal but without a bar.  I don't see an advantage. 

BUT There is a guy named Hammer that flat out gets it on his hard tail.
Semper Fi

chris.m.j

Quote from: hrdtail78 on August 05, 2024, 06:13:26 PMLowest hanging fruit is setting up your chassis.  A 17 inch rim will allow you to use a Shinko hook up and lower axle height.  I just bought a Busa gen 1 rim with sprocket carrier and half-life Pilot tire for $120 of Ebay.  Decent suspension to set your pivot height, and strap front end.  Get your 60's down into the 1.6's.

Is there a difference between running a 17" rim with Shinko Hook Up versus the stock 16" rim with Shinko 003 Stealth?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-003-stealth-tires?sku_id=1090374

I suppose the 17" size options come in wider sizes - up to 200mm - and the 16" tops out at 150mm.

Does decent suspension just mean something adjustable? Or more drag specific? I see some that are $900 and then I assume I have to upgrade the front suspension too, probably the whole front end at that point.

I'm not sure I can strap the front end of the Wide Glide. It only has a single rotor. Do I need two rotors to even the compression from a strap?

hrdtail78

The 17 just gives more options.  A wider tire equals wider contact area.  The frame fender struts and swing arm might not allow for much wider. 

Shocks?  Depends on what you want.  Street vs prepped track require different approach.  You can go much stiffer on track.  Most off the self shocks are on stiff side.  Want a shock that will adjust for both.  You are looking more high end.  I have found suspension to be a very important aspect.  From beginning of season to now.  I have went from 1.8-1.9's to 1.6's and only change has been springs, compression and tire pressure. I am lucky enough to have probably one of the best suspension guys less than 1.5 hrs away. To get spring change is easy. 
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Fronts easy.  As low as possible and no travel.  Can something be done with fender mounts?
Semper Fi

chris.m.j

Quote from: hrdtail78 on August 06, 2024, 09:38:28 AMFronts easy.  As low as possible and no travel.  Can something be done with fender mounts?

I'll have to look closer at the straps. Looks like i could attach to the fender mounts but routing across the steering head, etc, would be tight.

hbkeith

Shocks/struts , strapping the front forks will help not to wheelie and launch harder , how excactly do you launch ? I launch at 6k and damn near dump clutch ( damn near !) i get 1.60 60'