April 26, 2024, 11:20:22 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What will lowering the rear do for launch?

Started by dynabagger, September 18, 2023, 08:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynabagger

More specifically, I have a tracs swingarm on my dyna. There are two shock mounting positions. The front keeps the height stock, the rear lowers it about 1" and a bit. Is the any benefit to using the rear mounting position?

Keith
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

turboprop

Yes there is. Forget or ignore ride height, what is important is the rear axle center in relation to the pivot shaft center. As a general rule of thumb, the bike will launch better if the axle is above the pivot shaft. Likewise, the bike will wheelie easier if the axle is below the pivot shaft. The shock settings for the two applications are vastly different.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

dynabagger

Good info. I found this blog from Brock Davidson. https://blog.brocksperformance.com/suspension-101/ I'll move the shocks back and play with the adjusters if needed. The season is coming to an end here so I probably won't get enough passes to really dial it in but any improvement is a good thing.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R