April 27, 2024, 01:56:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Inner Primary Race upgrade

Started by JDhog211, October 13, 2023, 10:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDhog211

Hello all, I'm thinking of replacing the inner primary race and bearing with the new upgrade. Instead of the inner race being pulled and pressed on the trans shaft, the bearing is now upgraded into a sealed bearing installed into the primary housing itself.This bearing will then have a slip fit onto the transmission shaft.
I know you know the companies offering these upgraded bearings.
I would appreciate your input.
Thank you!
BTW it's my 2004 FLHT 88ci I'm referring too.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison expecting the other person to die.

kd

Do a search on this site for inner primary bearing race.  You should find plenty of discussions.

I think how you ride and what kind of power you use may be critical to your decision.  The S&S race is popular and foolproof.  Some have moved away from the bearing you describe (including myself this winter).   Those individuals are putting lots of power to the pavement regularly and some have experienced failures.  Again. do a search and pick up on the conversations.   
KD

jsachs1

Quote from: JDhog211 on October 13, 2023, 10:56:00 AMHello all, I'm thinking of replacing the inner primary race and bearing with the new upgrade. Instead of the inner race being pulled and pressed on the trans shaft, the bearing is now upgraded into a sealed bearing installed into the primary housing itself.This bearing will then have a slip fit onto the transmission shaft.
I know you know the companies offering these upgraded bearings.
I would appreciate your input.
Thank you!
BTW it's my 2004 FLHT 88ci I'm referring too.
Tried that back in the day. The bearings don't last. I even tried removing the seals on the bearing. Same thing, still didn't last. :angry:
John

Ohio HD

The Shovel Heads used a single roller bearing in the inner primary for the transmission mainshaft. I never could get more that 15,000 to 20,000 miles from them.  I think they're a terrible idea.

JSD

Back wood move . Get the S&S race & HD outer bearing. 

JDhog211

October 14, 2023, 11:18:53 AM #5 Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 04:56:16 PM by kd
 I'm installing a standard race on my 2004 88ci 5 speed transmission. I have the proper install tool for this.
Do I put it on dry, or do I use a lubricant to help prevent galling.
This is a standard All Balls Race, not S&S.
Thank you!

Dan89flstc

The All Balls race is not a standard race.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

JDhog211

Dan, it's standard size wise, it's not a OEM Harley Part if that's what you mean.

smoserx1

At least oil the shaft or the inside of the race, or both.

JSD

I recommend loctite retaining at main shaft as i have found the All balls walk towards seal 

jsachs1

Mid USA Motorcycle Parts sells a non-slip race also. Part # 74629.
John

FSG

October 14, 2023, 09:00:20 PM #11 Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 12:59:04 AM by FSG
Quote from: JDhog211 on October 13, 2023, 10:56:00 AMI'm thinking of replacing the inner primary race and bearing with the new upgrade.

that is no upgrade   :smiled:

kd

October 14, 2023, 09:20:54 PM #12 Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 12:58:56 AM by FSG
Quote from: FSG on October 14, 2023, 09:00:20 PM
Quote from: JDhog211 on October 13, 2023, 10:56:00 AMI'm thinking of replacing the inner primary race and bearing with the new upgrade.

that is no upgrade   :smiled:

:agree:  you beat me to it by seconds.
KD

JDhog211

October 14, 2023, 10:24:37 PM #13 Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 10:35:59 PM by JDhog211
Ok, I definitely got talked into the S&S inner race.
Once installed as per instructions, can it be removed if it had too by using the standard horse shoe tool?
As I understand it fully installed there will be a gap of .100 inch between the race and the end of the drive gear.
Am I right on this?
Thanks for any response.

FSG

Quote from: jsachs1 on October 14, 2023, 05:15:09 PMMid USA Motorcycle Parts sells a non-slip race also. Part # 74629.
John

The pic on that site ( 74629 ) sure looks like the pic belonging to S&S   :SM:

FSG

Yes and Yes

don't force it during installation as they can crack

smoserx1

QuoteAs I understand it fully installed there will be a gap of .100 inch between the race and the end of the drive gear.

Below is a pic of mine when I did it.  I would say that gap was more like 0.2 inches but the race was getting so tight I was afraid to push it anymore.  I would suggest after installing the race you coat it real good with grease and then temporarily install the inner primary.  Snug up the bolts (you don;t need to torque them yet), then remove the primary.  You will be able to see how far the seal in the primary pushed the grease on the race.  As long as the grease line stops on the race you will be fine (hope that makes sense).
You cannot see attachments on this board.

jsachs1

Quote from: FSG on October 15, 2023, 12:52:27 AM
Quote from: jsachs1 on October 14, 2023, 05:15:09 PMMid USA Motorcycle Parts sells a non-slip race also. Part # 74629.
John

The pic on that site ( 74629 ) sure looks like the pic belonging to S&S   :SM:
Yeah. But a lot LESS $$$$. :wink:  I've used many over the years.
John

JDhog211

Thanks for all your responses guys, appreciate it.

JDhog211

Smoserx1  My local Harley Davidson stealer Lead mechanic stated to me to install the race dry. Clean the shaft well, but press it on dry.

Ohio HD

I always lube them. When you press dry you may get a galled surface which reduces grip.

JDhog211

Ohio HD.  What kind of lube, oil, grease, Assembly Lube?
Thank you for your input, much appreciated.
The service manager stated that by lubricating it will increase the chance of walking.
Ohio, I personally can't see installing dry steel over dry steel.
What would you use?

Ohio HD

The optimum lube would be something made for machine shop use. But some clean light weight oil will allow it to get some relief from drag.

Ohio HD

Here's the S&S instruction for the race.

JDhog211

Ohio HD,   I saw that info for the S&S race install. I'll be using the standard OEM HD race for my 2004 FLHT 88 engine.
My original race never walked so that's why I'm replacing with the HD OEM PART.
What lube would you use now?
Thank you

kd

Quote from: JDhog211 on October 17, 2023, 05:06:43 PMOhio HD,   I saw that info for the S&S race install. I'll be using the standard OEM HD race for my 2004 FLHT 88 engine.
Thank you

I believe Ohio answered that question in post #23 after you first asked him in post #22.   :nix:   I can't speak for him but I doubt you will ever see him using OEM when the S&S is sooo much better.
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: JDhog211 on October 17, 2023, 05:06:43 PMOhio HD,   I saw that info for the S&S race install. I'll be using the standard OEM HD race for my 2004 FLHT 88 engine.
Thank you

I would still lube it as described above. I wasn't speaking to the S&S race, I was speaking to any inner primary race.

JDhog211

Thank you Ohio HD. Just got off the phone with San Jose HD here in CA. and their mechanics there recommend motor oil. So that, along with your recommendation, that's what I'll do.
Thanks again.

FSG

Quote from: JDhog211 on October 17, 2023, 05:06:43 PMI'll be using the standard OEM HD race for my 2004 FLHT 88 engine.

well if you're not going to use the S&S offering then at least spot tig the OEM race so it can't walk

JDhog211

Hello All, I do want to thank all who responded to my post.
I ended up making the decision to go with the S&S race after all.
Pressing the race on was easy, it walked right up to its stop on the shaft, could actually feel it seat against the the stop.
Thanks for convincing me to go with the S&S.

FSG

Ohio HD

One and done. You can check that box off as fixed for good. 

smoserx1

QuotePressing the race on was easy, it walked right up to its stop on the shaft, could actually feel it seat against the the stop.

That is the way it is supposed to go on, but it was not my experience.  The S&S race was far tighter when pressing it on than the 2 or 3 OEM races I had previously replaced.  I could not detect the stop and it finally got so tight I was afraid to go any further.  I guess mine was just on the tight side of the tolerance range.

Hilly13

On my old wideglide i put the race in the oven, hit the shaft with a chill spray(sorry can't remember what it was exactly now) and it went on easy as, suppose i should put one in the slim.... eventually.
Just because its said don't make it so

FSG