April 27, 2024, 02:15:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New 114 performance

Started by pauly, October 16, 2023, 10:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultrafxr

Quote from: wfolarry on December 24, 2023, 04:49:54 AM
Quote from: pauly on December 23, 2023, 02:30:45 PMHi all
Update on this issue - it's no longer an issue, however drinking oil became a problem.
I've been unable to replicate the lack of performance in 4000 ks, and I've tried in numerous conditions.

What did seem to become an issue was oil consumption. It seemed that every few hundred ks, I'd loose another couple of notches on the dipstick. Anyhoo, about 2 weeks ago, I loaded the wife and some luggage, let her know I was going to hammer it a few times, and did exactly that, a number of times over a 600 k ride. The oil consumption has stopped.
So, for those of you that are suffering oil consumption with your m8, and haven't tried aggressively seating your rings, turn off the traction control, and give it a go. YMMV but it seems to have worked for me.

Thanks
Pauly

That doesn't happen. Your rings were seated long before that.

Or not.  In any case doing this now really changes nothing.  Rings are seated or no seated (and never will be) by this state.

pauly

Okydoky - SOmething else changed on that ride then. I don't know what, but the oil consumption has stopped.
Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: ultrafxr on December 26, 2023, 03:03:54 PM
Quote from: wfolarry on December 24, 2023, 04:49:54 AM
Quote from: pauly on December 23, 2023, 02:30:45 PMHi all
Update on this issue - it's no longer an issue, however drinking oil became a problem.
I've been unable to replicate the lack of performance in 4000 ks, and I've tried in numerous conditions.

What did seem to become an issue was oil consumption. It seemed that every few hundred ks, I'd loose another couple of notches on the dipstick. Anyhoo, about 2 weeks ago, I loaded the wife and some luggage, let her know I was going to hammer it a few times, and did exactly that, a number of times over a 600 k ride. The oil consumption has stopped.
So, for those of you that are suffering oil consumption with your m8, and haven't tried aggressively seating your rings, turn off the traction control, and give it a go. YMMV but it seems to have worked for me.

Thanks
Pauly

That doesn't happen. Your rings were seated long before that.

Or not.  In any case doing this now really changes nothing.  Rings are seated or no seated (and never will be) by this state.

L88

January 07, 2024, 07:53:50 AM #27 Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 07:58:27 AM by L88
I have a Road Glide Limited 2021.
Regarding the oil consumption.
I understand this result is considered not possible.
I was experiencing the same thing up to about 6000 miles. 
I figured what the heck and gave it a try the same way the OP did and spent a weekend hammering it up to redline and down-shifting with high revs.
I had the same results as the OP.

I also have a Road King 2021 and have not had the same issue.

pauly

I love it when the impossible becomes possible! ;-)

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: L88 on January 07, 2024, 07:53:50 AMI have a Road Glide Limited 2021.
I figured what the heck and gave it a try the same way the OP did and spent a weekend hammering it up to redline and down-shifting with high revs.

kd

Quote from: pauly on January 31, 2024, 02:00:13 PMI love it when the impossible becomes possible! ;-)

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: L88 on January 07, 2024, 07:53:50 AMI have a Road Glide Limited 2021.

This link will support your findings.   It's something we have discussed here before.   It's the method I have always used successfully.  I admit when I started to do building hot rod engines back in the early 70's, it was more because I was impatient and fell into it mostly by accident.  The first couple of oil changes at 50 then 100 or so, getting it up to temp while accelerating and decelerating, cooling it off when up to temp (heat cycles) and doing it again and it happens on its own.  Look at the pics of the pistons and the light bub will come on.
KD

wfolarry

If you really want to learn something about rings Total Seal has quite a few videos on YouTube that explain a lot.