April 27, 2024, 03:39:41 PM

News:

Panhead teardown - winter 2023

Started by CraigArizona85248, November 19, 2023, 04:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigArizona85248

November 26, 2023, 07:14:22 PM #25 Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 08:03:51 PM by FSG
Having the right tools sure makes things easier. I've used this shifter fork alignment tool a few times over the years. It's almost impossible to get precise shifter fork alignment without it. This tool is made by Jims. It's identical to the factory tool.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

CraigArizona85248

Today I test fit the new kicker cover. I really like this so much better the the chrome cover. And I'm a big fan of the one piece kicker arm.

Also cleaned up the wheels and disassembled the star hubs, inspected and repacked with fresh grease.

76shuvlinoff

You're so meticulous I hate you.   :hyst:

Nice work.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

CraigArizona85248

CraigArizona85248

Today I pulled the motor out of the frame. I think this motor is about 50# heavier than it was 10 years ago!   :hyst:

The frame is a grimy mess.

... To Be Continued ...

CraigArizona85248

Got the first pass of cleaning done on the frame.

Installed the new brushes in the Cycle Electric generator. I don't think the generator would have kept charging much longer.

Tacocaster

My heart literally skipped four beats when I opened the first of three motor pics, then two more pics followed. I was wasted.

Pans simply ARE the most beautiful of all HD Motors! Jewels!
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

CraigArizona85248

I spent 4 hours cleaning up the motor today. It's a nasty job, but rewarding. Also installed new cork gaskets under the valve covers.

BEFORE...

AFTER...

Tacocaster

You'll need to re-grease yer elbows after 4 hours!

Simply Green (my assumption) works that good??

Nice work, Craig! Looks new yet again.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

CraigArizona85248

I used spray on engine degreaser, let it sit for 15min, rinse with hot water. Then I hit the tough spots with a small stainless steel brush and spray brake clean.

turboprop

I really dig those D-Rings and 12-Point bolts. Very rare that I encounter such a well maintained and developed Pan. Very cool.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

ghostrider

Funny looking lifter blocks you have there,  :wink:

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: turboprop on November 30, 2023, 05:36:12 AMI really dig those D-Rings and 12-Point bolts. Very rare that I encounter such a well maintained and developed Pan. Very cool.

I've been fine tuning this bike for 20 years now. Every time I tear it down, I learn something new and make adjustments/improvements. It's a labor of love.

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: ghostrider on November 30, 2023, 07:44:05 AMFunny looking lifter blocks you have there,  :wink:

Those are a hybrid EVO lifter block. They started out as EVO castings but were bored to the angle needed for a Panhead. They use EVO lifters which are a lot stronger than stock Panhead parts. You wouldn't want to do this to a Panhead that was being judged for correctness. But for a chopper that gets ridden a lot, it's a good modification.

Hossamania

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on November 30, 2023, 09:49:46 PM
Quote from: ghostrider on November 30, 2023, 07:44:05 AMFunny looking lifter blocks you have there,  :wink:

Those are a hybrid EVO lifter block. They started out as EVO castings but were bored to the angle needed for a Panhead. They use EVO lifters which are a lot stronger than stock Panhead parts. You wouldn't want to do this to a Panhead that was being judged for correctness. But for a chopper that gets ridden a lot, it's a good modification.

Mods like that are the definition of chopper.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

ghostrider

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on November 30, 2023, 09:49:46 PM

Interesting.  I did the evo valvetrain upgrade to my shovel about 10 years ago,  works great,  but I didn't modify the blocks, just using the stock evo blocks, evo roller rockers and Smith Bros pushrods.  Using velvatouch evo on the pan I'm building, still.   So obviously your running an evo cam.  How are you dealing with the bushing end of the cam?  machining it down to the smaller pan OD?

Years ago, I think you sent me a ferrite bead for my GPS speedo,  still working great, thanks.

CraigArizona85248

I run a Crane FL 1948-1969 Big Twin Fireball Cam 296A Grind. The cam gear is modified to give it clearance for the fat EVO rollers. Also, you have to install a different cam bearing on the case end. I don't remember the bearing details but it's in the tech notes from Crane that came with the cam. I think this cam was discontinued a number of years ago.

CraigArizona85248

I turned the corner on this teardown/inspection project today and started reassembly. The motor, transmission mount plate, transmission, and generator are installed.

I tried a different method of putting the motor in there frame. I set there motor on its side and lowered the frame into place. It's a lot easier dealing with a 50# frame compared to a 150# motor. Definitely a back saver technique.

CraigArizona85248

WML57

Great job Craig. That's the way frame swaps are done at a dealership.

CraigArizona85248

A little more progress today...

Also, a guy on a FB panhead group messaged me and said it looks like your kickstart gear bumper is cracked. Dang! I completely missed it. Sure glad this guy spotted it and messaged me about it. Lucky for me, I have an OEM replacement made of brass. The brass shouldn't crack the way the steel piece did.

Fugawee

Good Eye on behalf of the FB Panhead Guy.
And Good for You by having a replacement Part on-hand.
That sure could have been an issue down the road.

FSG

a good catch indeed, kudos to him   :SM:

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Fugawee on December 03, 2023, 07:12:47 PMGood Eye on behalf of the FB Panhead Guy.
And Good for You by having a replacement Part on-hand.
That sure could have been an issue down the road.

The guy told me it happened to him. The piece broke off and got sucked into the gears. Broke the transmission case.  :doh:

CraigArizona85248

It's starting to look like a motorcycle again.

Got the primary drive installed, clutch installed and adjusted, oil tank and lines installed, hooked up the brake light switch and adjusted it, installed the passenger pegs, and installed the chain guard.