April 12, 2024, 07:54:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Another EVO with low oil pressure

Started by SixShooter14, December 08, 2023, 07:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixShooter14

Quote from: JSD on January 09, 2024, 10:09:21 PMIsn't Ultima made in China.
Also the retaining clips are pressed so the inside diameter of clip has a slight bevel as KD said. You can feel it on your finger nail. Sharp edge faces away from flywheel to seat against the groove in pinion shaft . As you say you popped it twice check the pinion shaft groove
yep, I can't see the bevel but I can feel it catching the callouses on my fingers. I marked the clip to put the sharp edge out.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

SixShooter14

Figured I'd drop in with an update.
Weather finally warmed up enough so my garage is above freezing with the heaters on.
I'm in the process of removing the engine and got the primary open and found one of the alternator rotor magnets stuck to the stator. So that's nice.

Getting a new rotor, but had a quick thought.
Has anyone successfully re-glued a magnet back in place? some sort of epoxy or something?... was just a slow winter time curiosity.

jls 64

js

FSG

it's not something I'd do   :SM:

SixShooter14

Those are the answers I expected. I got my new rotor in last week.

Also, got the engine out and on the bench. Next time the temp gets above freezing, I'll work on that oil pump shaft/gear.

thumper 823

Supposedly,  a Gerotor oil pump will filter from the pressure side.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

kink04fxd

Quote from: SixShooter14 on January 23, 2024, 02:19:14 PMFigured I'd drop in with an update.
Weather finally warmed up enough so my garage is above freezing with the heaters on.
I'm in the process of removing the engine and got the primary open and found one of the alternator rotor magnets stuck to the stator. So that's nice.

Getting a new rotor, but had a quick thought.
Has anyone successfully re-glued a magnet back in place? some sort of epoxy or something?... was just a slow winter time curiosity.
I glued one my shovel several years ago. Holding up just fine. Probably over 30,000 plus miles.
2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH

SixShooter14

An update for ya'll
Took a little bit of work, but I got the engine reinstalled about 2 weeks ago. Whew, next time she comes out, I'm going to have a table lift and grab a friend for some assistance.

Spent last weekend installing the primary and routing oil lines.

Spent yesterday on the intake and exhaust and today got the gas tank back on, refilled all the fluids, installed a new battery, and primed the new oil pump... Finally fired her up. No issues, cranked over about 3 times and fired off. Oil pressure sitting around 10-15psi at idle. Supposed to be nice Tuesday and Wednesday. Hopefully I can get out and get everything warmed up and check for leaks and retorques.

SixShooter14

ahh...nuts.

Fired her up today to ride to work and after about a minute some oil started dripping from the supply hose. Wasn't quite a stream, but was a steady 1 or 2 drips per second.... Shut her down and wiped it clean, it's coming from under the hose around the barb fitting. Gonna have to get some new oil lines.

Deye76

Use this, way better than auto parts hose. Will withstand high temperatures.
https://www.eastwood.com/derale-3-8-i-d-x-25-hi-temp-oil-hose-13017.html
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Dan89flstc

April 03, 2024, 06:31:05 AM #60 Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 06:39:24 AM by Dan89flstc
SAE J30R7 is commonly available in most auto parts stores and has worked fine on my Softail EVO for many years.

A little harder to find, oil hose good to 300 degrees f:

SAE J30R9.

SAE J1019.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic