April 27, 2024, 12:49:45 PM

News:

Ultima

Started by fbn ent, January 31, 2024, 09:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Are today's Ultima TC engines any good? Man are they cheap! A 113" is less than $6KC, that's US$4K(ish). Plug 'n play?  :scratch:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

fbn ent

I'm aware that cheap usually means  :turd: .

Ohio HD

January 31, 2024, 11:05:40 AM #2 Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 11:26:32 AM by Ohio HD
I know that jsachs1 and hrdtail78 has experience with them, they may comment. I'm sure some others have used Ultima and can speak to their good and bad features.

98s1lightning

I'd suggest a dealer that has/knows they have the support to stand behind what you buy. 

Cheap is no good if you get STUCK with junk that doesn't work no matter whos product your buying.

fbn ent

January 31, 2024, 02:10:24 PM #4 Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 02:18:21 PM by fbn ent
Quote from: 98s1lightning on January 31, 2024, 01:46:34 PMI'd suggest a dealer that has/knows they have the support to stand behind what you buy.

Cheap is no good if you get STUCK with junk that doesn't work no matter whos product your buying.

I ride far and pretty fast. That is why I'm asking. I can't be broke down hard on the road.
Don't have the coin for S&S...

lilchief

I've got an Ultima 113" Evo style in my 96 Fatboy.  I haven't had any issues with it, but as a disclaimer,  I'll say that the bike is not ridden much. Maybe a few hundred miles a year.
The motor I have is smooth & fast enough for me.

Deye76

January 31, 2024, 05:11:40 PM #6 Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 05:18:19 PM by Ohio HD
I have a 113" Ultima Evo in my FXRP, have about 20,000 miles on it, lifter failed took out the cam, but that's all, Evo's fair better than TC's when a lifter fails.  Replaced with lifters from WFOLarry, new cam, flushed pump and oil lines all is good. Run the snot out of it. The FXR guys I know from all over the U.S. that have S&S crate motors have had their fair share of failures too. Pick your poison.
Photo for reference, or shameless promotion.  :hyst:

You cannot see attachments on this board.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

fbn ent

Quote from: Deye76 on January 31, 2024, 05:11:40 PMI have a 113" Ultima Evo in my FXRP, have about 20,000 miles on it, lifter failed took out the cam, but that's all, Evo's fair better than TC's when a lifter fails.  Replaced with lifters from WFOLarry, new cam, flushed pump and oil lines all is good. Run the snot out of it. The FXR guys I know from all over the U.S. that have S&S crate motors have had their fair share of failures too. Pick your poison.
Photo for reference, or shameless promotion.  :hyst:

That's real pretty!

How long did the stock lifter last? A buddy of mine had a valve spring break on his EVO based loaner bike. I ride it when I get to South Carolina and it pulls real good.

Also, their parts and OEM are mostly interchangable?

Thanks

Deye76

The stock lifters made it roughly 11,000 miles, I would change them out from day 1 if I had it to do over. The ones from WFOLarry (a vendor here) have an excellent track record.

"Also, their parts and OEM are mostly interchangable?"
Not sure what your asking. When I replaced the cam I used a S&S. Things like carbs, ignitions, cams, lifters all interchange. Pistons, flywheels, valves etc. are engine size specific, as I'm sure you know. 

fbn ent

"The stock lifters made it roughly 11,000 miles, I would change them out from day 1 if I had it to do over. The ones from WFOLarry (a vendor here) have an excellent track record."

Yes, I have used Larry's lifters.
Thanks

jsachs1

I haven't used a complete Ultima Twin Cam engine yet. I've done several sets of their Twin Cam heads, and can say that they are the same material, and quality as their EVO heads. I am pretty sure their engine cases, and rotating parts are likewise as good also. As far as lifters go, it seems that all the top shelf engine manufacturers, and builders have had issues with lifters from time to time. I would, and do, use Larry's lifters. :up:
John

fbn ent

I was hoping you'd chime in John. Thanks. I'm hoping their quality control has gotten better with time.

JSD

Some parts cast in us some China . As so cheap. Support who want . I now where my heart supports especially in this age 

capn

Got 20K on my 120. Had the same lifter problem all good now.97 bagger.

jsachs1

I can't count on 10 fingers, and 10 toes, the amount of MoCo lifters that I have seen fail since the "B" lifters. IMO, lifters are mostly a service/maintenence item, similar to piston rings, and they usually give a notice before any major destruction.
John

hrdtail78

I have not used a complete TC engine.  I would have no problem building and engine with some of their components.  All their casted stuff is real nice and they use Mahle pistons.  I have started with their TC blank head castings 8-9 times with good results.  They kind of pigeonhole you with using their rocker boxes.  Breathing system and rocker geometry but there are work arounds.

Evo models are all over STL area.  Engine of choice for most choppers.

Semper Fi

hbkeith

My Ultima 113 is upgraded to S&S Rocker arms and Lifters , hasent missed a beat . heard of other Ultimas give problems , know a guy that bought a new S&S 111 and had nothing but problems , SO  :nix:

fbn ent

Thanks for the answers guys. I am also needing to know if I can fit my Super Meg to the 113 and if there are any other fitment issues I should know about for an engine swap to it. Wasn't planning on spending much more on the bike(s) at 72 and the income isn't going up....

lilchief

I don't know if this helps, but I have a V&H pro pipe on mine, which I previously ran on the stock 80" Evo. It bolted right up to the Ultima 113" Evo .

hrdtail78

Quote from: fbn ent on February 05, 2024, 08:39:53 AMThanks for the answers guys. I am also needing to know if I can fit my Super Meg to the 113 and if there are any other fitment issues I should know about for an engine swap to it. Wasn't planning on spending much more on the bike(s) at 72 and the income isn't going up....

Pipe fitment should be no issue.  The only other thing I can think is throttle cable fitment maybe, depending on somethings.
Semper Fi

Deye76

Your Supertrapp will fit fine. Friend has one on his Ultima 120".

fbn ent

February 06, 2024, 07:13:14 AM #21 Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 11:02:15 AM by fbn ent
Quote from: Deye76 on February 06, 2024, 07:03:03 AMYour Supertrapp will fit fine. Friend has one on his Ultima 120".

Other than the afformentioned rocker covers are the rest of the internals and gaskets/orings OEM compatable? I'm getting closer....

Deye76

The only thing I had off mine was the cam cover, lifter blocks used a Cometic gaskets for Evo.

fbn ent

February 13, 2024, 01:54:43 PM #23 Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 06:30:45 PM by fbn ent
I just discovered their motor is a single cam. Hmmm.... :scratch:

I guess the dealer forgot about the Twin Cam motors.... Duh.

Ohio HD

Not trying to shift the post sideways, but why not rebuild your motor, or have it rebuilt? It'll cost less than a new motor, unless adding a lot of performance parts.

fbn ent

Still have to tear it down but if I have to it probably has to be crank up. Can't get dome pistons (or at least haven't found any yet) for the heads ('04 103+ hemi). So it will be pretty pricey. Just looking at options, including buying a low km used unit, right now. I start the tear down tomorrow hopefully.

Deye76

Ultima makes a Twin Cam, they haven't been out long so there isn't much feedback yet.

fbn ent

February 13, 2024, 06:22:44 PM #27 Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 06:42:02 PM by Ohio HD
This is their description...

tdrglide

Wonder what compression is. That cam needs some compression to be happy. Like maybe 11:1. Interesting choice

capn

Best thing to do is get hold of an ultima dealer. I bought my Ultima evo 120 through a dealer.

Deye76

Quote from: tdrglide on February 13, 2024, 08:20:04 PMWonder what compression is. That cam needs some compression to be happy. Like maybe 11:1. Interesting choice

Ultima likes cams with a lot of overlap, I guess for easier starting.  :nix:
In a lighter bike like a Dynaglide, that cam would be OK. Better choices for a barge.

rigidthumper

Quote from: fbn ent on February 13, 2024, 02:29:04 PMStill have to tear it down but if I have to it probably has to be crank up. Can't get dome pistons (or at least haven't found any yet) for the heads ('04 103+ hemi). So it will be pretty pricey. Just looking at options, including buying a low km used unit, right now. I start the tear down tomorrow hopefully.
IIRC, Arias made those. There is a set on Ebay
Here's a .010 over set.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fbn ent

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 14, 2024, 08:15:39 AM
Quote from: fbn ent on February 13, 2024, 02:29:04 PMStill have to tear it down but if I have to it probably has to be crank up. Can't get dome pistons (or at least haven't found any yet) for the heads ('04 103+ hemi). So it will be pretty pricey. Just looking at options, including buying a low km used unit, right now. I start the tear down tomorrow hopefully.
Here's a .010 over set.

Thanks. I haven't looked for a while.

tommy g

A neighbor in Alberta wrecks newer bikes and often has low mileage motors etc for reasonable prices
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

fbn ent

February 21, 2024, 05:32:15 PM #34 Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 05:46:28 PM by fbn ent
Quote from: fbn ent on February 14, 2024, 08:43:47 AM
Quote from: rigidthumper on February 14, 2024, 08:15:39 AM
Here's a .010 over set.

Thanks. I haven't looked for a while.

Dammit!!! Just went to buy them and they were gone.  :emoGroan:  I did find some circlips and a set of std. rings though. Is EBay good at sending search notifications?