April 27, 2024, 10:05:35 AM

News:

Thinking of a cam swap

Started by Jim Bronson, February 18, 2024, 01:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Should I measure it hot or cold?
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

speedzter

Interesting to note that the sheet is very close to what is advertised from S&S for their 110 kit.

https://www.sscycle.com/feature/performance-kits/power-package/100-110-power-package-big-twin

Ohio HD

Quote from: Jim Bronson on February 19, 2024, 07:56:10 PMShould I measure it hot or cold?

I would take a reading cold. Just to see if the pressure is what would be expected with that setup.

Jim Bronson

February 20, 2024, 08:31:39 AM #28 Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 08:41:31 AM by Jim Bronson
Quote from: speedzter on February 19, 2024, 08:51:56 PMInteresting to note that the sheet is very close to what is advertised from S&S for their 110 kit.

https://www.sscycle.com/feature/performance-kits/power-package/100-110-power-package-big-twin
Wow. How about that. Thanks for posting the link. I don't have the upgraded cam plate or oil pump, but everything else is the same as my setup.

Ohio HD

Here are a couple of tunes with the same 110 kit. Both are pulling more low end than what you have now. Keep in mind these two are displayed in SAE, so they inherently will read lower power than a chart in STD. That's why we require only one style in the dyno section, and that SAE includes corrections for weather and environment.

But even though they're in SAE, they show you what can be done with the low end with the tune as harpwrench mentioned above.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,78111.msg864339.html#msg864339

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,97475.msg1136873.html#msg1136873

harpwrench

It could be as simple as making some adjustments to the afr/lambda table. Doesn't necessarily mean that the tune is bad, but perhaps it's lean at kpa's where it could be sweetened up to make it more responsive when you're rolling through the gears.

Jim Bronson

It makes me wonder why S&S would publish numbers that are well below what's achieveable with a good tune.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Jim Bronson on February 20, 2024, 01:51:14 PMIt makes me wonder why S&S would publish numbers that are well below what's achieveable with a good tune.

Rumor has always been that S&S produced dyno sheets that were a little on the modest side. Just their way of doing business I guess. You won't be unhappy if it makes more.

lonewolf

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 20, 2024, 02:17:17 PMRumor has always been that S&S produced dyno sheets that were a little on the modest side.

Nice change  :bike:

Jim Bronson

I'll see if I can find the PV map.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 19, 2024, 07:03:23 PMNot yet, the questions are, how much cylinder pressure do we have with this setup, and can the tune be improved to make the motor run more like he wants it.
CCP is 130 front and rear. At least they're the same. Plugs look fine.

rigidthumper

Quote from: Jim Bronson on February 21, 2024, 11:01:43 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on February 19, 2024, 07:03:23 PMNot yet, the questions are, how much cylinder pressure do we have with this setup, and can the tune be improved to make the motor run more like he wants it.
CCP is 130 front and rear. At least they're the same. Plugs look fine.
Should be 185-195 if everything is primo.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

harpwrench

Needs checked without activating compression releases, I use a jumper wire on the starter

Buglet

Also throttle blade wide open.

Jim Bronson

Measures 200 front and rear.

Ohio HD

This isn't perfect, but it's close. I compared your sheet with the two that I posted links to. Both of the other links have more torque across the rpm range. They also make a little more HP as well. I'd speak to the tuner and see what he says, can he improve the tune.

Jim Bronson

I finally found my PV file on my old laptop. What tables should I look at?

harpwrench

I'd like to see a picture of how the main lambda or afr table is set up. With a bigger cam if it's set lean too far to the right into the upper kpa columns then it could make it feel doggy unless you get into it hard.

Jim Bronson

I hope this is the right one. Thanks.You cannot see attachments on this board.

harpwrench

Well it's set plenty rich as far as that table:)

Ohio HD

Do you think maybe to compensate for improper VE values?

Jim Bronson

Plugs look fine though, and it starts and runs reliably.

harpwrench

I wouldn't want to suggest the VE's aren't right or wrong without riding it. I do think it would be more responsive at part throttle with a cam that doesn't open the exhaust as early.

Ohio HD

You think something like the T-man 580? He recommends that for the SE Tire Shredder replacement.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

harpwrench

I think I'd try a comp cams 3103, but I imagine the tman 580 would work great from what guys have said.