April 27, 2024, 10:10:43 AM

News:

Stupid Question of the Day

Started by Jim Bronson, February 21, 2024, 09:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

When checking compression on my 2013 Dyna, do I need to disable the fuel pump? The SM doesn't mention it.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

fbn ent

February 21, 2024, 09:55:32 AM #1 Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 11:39:39 AM by fbn ent
I have a button set up that I jump battery power to where the green wire attaches to the starter solenoid. I crank it with that while holding the throttle plate (?) wide open.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

rigidthumper

No. Pull both plugs, install compression tester in first cylinder to be tested, hold throttle open 100%, then key on. Crank at least 3-5 revolutions, stop when reading has peaked/stabilized.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jim Bronson

Jim Bronson

kd

KD

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

Did you physically hold the butterfly open?

Jim Bronson

I did hold the butterfly open. Battery was fully charged on the tender. ACRs were NOT disabled  :embarrassed: . How much difference would that make? Plugs are still out, so it would be easy to repeat the test.

rigidthumper

Easy to disconnect/test reconnect.
Big difference

kouack

What FBN ENT suggested, just use a jump wire from + battery to the starter solenoid, easy to do and no need to unplug ACR or worry about anything else, no need to turn the master switch on, just make sure bike is in neutral.

Jim Bronson

OK got it. I think I'll make a jumper with a switch to make it more convenient. It will have to wait until tomorrow. Stand by please.

kd

February 21, 2024, 02:29:16 PM #12 Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 04:33:53 PM by kd
Quote from: Jim Bronson on February 21, 2024, 12:33:06 PMI did hold the butterfly open. Battery was fully charged on the tender. ACRs were NOT disabled  :embarrassed: . How much difference would that make? Plugs are still out, so it would be easy to repeat the test.

There should be a difference if the ACR's are not disabled now.  As mentioned you can make up a jumper as fbn described to crank the engine with no power to them.  I do it that way and end up with a new tool.  :teeth:  You can also do what Rigid says and just disconnect the m by pulling the connector off them.  Another method I have used when not in my shop (with no access to my jumper switch) is to simply remove the system relay from the fuse panel and proceed with the key on and start button while holding the throttle valve wide open. 

What is most important is both cylinders are even or close to it.  If you want to check the cranking compression to compare it to the expected healthy compression for your engine, cam etc, the test without ACR's activated is what you will need to know and do.

Added Later

I eventually bought a solenoid button for my RGU that permanently fastens to the starter solenoid cap.   It's chrome, looks good and if anything fails in the starter button.  It's there to use and works well for all of the above or if you break down on the road.  Here's one of many choices out there.   California Phil from our Vendor Support list can help you with that.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bikers-Choice-Solenoid-Starter-Button/dp/B001KO2EB8
KD

Ohio HD

I have one of these from Lisle. Good quality and not expensive.

Lisle 20750 Remote Starter Switch

Jim Bronson

It also seems like I could use the tender connector to power the solenoid. Test lead should work for just the solenoid. Starter motor would still be powered by the battery.

fbn ent

You might poof the fuse...
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

kd

Quote from: Jim Bronson on February 21, 2024, 05:43:22 PMIt also seems like I could use the tender connector to power the solenoid. Test lead should work for just the solenoid. Starter motor would still be powered by the battery.

A battery tender won't have enough power to activate the pull in winding.
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on February 21, 2024, 08:06:59 PM
Quote from: Jim Bronson on February 21, 2024, 05:43:22 PMIt also seems like I could use the tender connector to power the solenoid. Test lead should work for just the solenoid. Starter motor would still be powered by the battery.

I think Jim is talking about using the pigtail off the battery to send power to the green solenoid wire. Like mentioned, not sure the inline fuse will tolerate the load.

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on February 21, 2024, 08:21:44 PM
Quote from: kd on February 21, 2024, 08:06:59 PM

I think Jim is talking about using the pigtail off the battery to send power to the green solenoid wire. Like mentioned, not sure the inline fuse will tolerate the load.

:up:
KD

Jim Bronson

Sorry I wasn't clear. I would disconnect the tender, so using the pigtail would be the same as connecting a lead to the battery except more convenient. I don't recall whether the tender harness between the connector and the battery has a fuse. I should check it before I try my method, as I might not have a spare fuse if it smokes. Of course I'll need to remove the battery cover to make sure so I might as well just connect to the battery. BTW my solenoid wire is red/black (2013). Yes, I did verify it on the schematic.

I'll get started tomorrow as soon as the garage warms up.

Hossamania

Your pigtail should have an inline fuse, it's how they are manufactured. It is most likely a 5 amp if it wasn't changed. I run a 15 for my heated jacket.

kd

Quote from: Jim Bronson on February 21, 2024, 10:55:57 PMSorry I wasn't clear. I would disconnect the tender, so using the pigtail would be the same as connecting a lead to the battery except more convenient. I don't recall whether the tender harness between the connector and the battery has a fuse. I should check it before I try my method, as I might not have a spare fuse if it smokes. Of course I'll need to remove the battery cover to make sure so I might as well just connect to the battery. BTW my solenoid wire is red/black (2013). Yes, I did verify it on the schematic.

I'll get started tomorrow as soon as the garage warms up.

If you have a dual lead starter button (like Ohio described) with alligator clips for the hook-up you can put the red (positive) clip on the battery post stud under the rubber cap on the solenoid and the black lead to the small wire that activates the pull in winding (red/black).  You'll be hooking in to that wire anyway so you can do them both down there. That kinda follows the KISS method and no modifications are required.
KD

Jim Bronson

Front = 195
Rear = 200

I wonder why the difference. I'll repeat the front in a little while. Maybe I didn't have a good seal at the gauge. The tender lead does have a fuse near the battery positive terminal (but you knew that already) :teeth:

Ohio HD

You're within 2.6%, all is good.

rigidthumper

Quote from: Jim Bronson on February 22, 2024, 10:03:38 AMFront = 195
Rear = 200

I wonder why the difference. I'll repeat the front in a little while. Maybe I didn't have a good seal at the gauge. The tender lead does have a fuse near the battery positive terminal (but you knew that already) :teeth:
Small differences in combustion chamber size, deck height, carbon build up, cam chain slack, and cam grinding can show up to ~3%.  Like Ohio said "all good".

Jim Bronson

Repeated test on the front. It reads 200 now, so I'm calling it good. Many thanks to everyone who helped.