April 27, 2024, 01:26:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sportster Bagger

Started by PC_Hater, March 01, 2024, 11:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggzed

If you don't like the softail, you can always check out a Road King. Should be able to fit your eglide seat. I don't know about your side of the pond, but in the states low mile Kings are pretty reasonable.

Zach

kd

I know a gal that started with a Sporty.  Her partner talked her into a Softail.  The first thing she said it was easier to hold up and also ride than the Sportster.  The high weight compared to even more weight on the Softail was harder to handle for her.  She switched to a Street Glide and it was tough for her.  It was too late because she had already sold the Softail.
KD

Hossamania

Going from the Ultra to the RoadKing makes the king feel much smaller, going from the King to a friend's Heritage even more so.
One thing I do notice is that Softails steer heavier than the touring bikes due to the steering geometry. Nothing terrible, just noticeable.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

March 03, 2024, 06:43:02 PM #28 Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 07:48:58 PM by kd
Quote from: Hossamania on March 03, 2024, 05:42:40 PMGoing from the Ultra to the RoadKing makes the king feel much smaller, going from the King to a friend's Heritage even more so.
One thing I do notice is that Softails steer heavier than the touring bikes due to the steering geometry. Nothing terrible, just noticeable.

You may not want to hear this Hoss.  I have a 1998 Anniversary Ultra and Road King Classic and a 2011 Road Glide Ultra.  As you said, the Road King handles better and lighter than the Ultra.  However, the RoadGlide also handles better (IMO) low speed without the bat wing fairing and outperforms both of the other bikes on the highway in the wind, twisties, and meeting trucks.  It's like riding a dart compared to the others. The Ultra is marginally better in the rain though. Marginally.
KD

PC_Hater

Quote from: kd on March 03, 2024, 06:43:02 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on March 03, 2024, 05:42:40 PMGoing from the Ultra to the RoadKing makes the king feel much smaller, going from the King to a friend's Heritage even more so.

You may not want to hear this Hoss.  I have a 1998 Anniversary Ultra and Road King Classic and a 2011 Road Glide Ultra.  As you said, the Road King handles better and lighter than the Ultra.  However, the RoadGlide also handles better (IMO) low speed without the bat wing fairing and outperforms both of the other bikes on the highway in the wind, twisties, and meeting trucks.  It's like riding a dart compared to the others. The Ultra is marginally better in the rain though. Marginally.

We'll get the silly old fool on a Road Glide yet!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Hossamania

Quote from: PC_Hater on March 04, 2024, 06:47:35 AM
Quote from: kd on March 03, 2024, 06:43:02 PM

We'll get the silly old fool on a Road Glide yet!

I'll be honest, there was a really nice one at the dealer Saturday.
It almost made me consider looking at it as a possible candidate.
Almost.

Deye76

"One thing I do notice is that Softails steer heavier than the touring bikes due to the steering geometry. Nothing terrible, just noticeable."

A Streetglide has 26 degree's of rake, a M8 Lowrider S 28 degrees of rake. Most can't feel the difference, not saying you can't, but IMHO tire size is more of a factor in steering than 2 degrees of rake.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

Quote from: Deye76 on March 04, 2024, 07:34:33 AM"One thing I do notice is that Softails steer heavier than the touring bikes due to the steering geometry. Nothing terrible, just noticeable."

A Streetglide has 26 degree's of rake, a M8 Lowrider S 28 degrees of rake. Most can't feel the difference, not saying you can't, but IMHO tire size is more of a factor in steering than 2 degrees of rake.

Besides just the difference in rake causing different feel, it is also the location of the steering head.
On touring models it is in front of the forks, on Softails it is behind the forks. This contributes to the heavier feel of Softail steering as well as the small rake difference.
This difference may show more in trail than rake?

fbn ent

The Switchback, although an older model, intrigues me for a lighter tourer. Less than 700 pounds and 27"(ish) seat height.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

Quote from: fbn ent on March 04, 2024, 07:57:47 AMThe Switchback, although an older model, intrigues me for a lighter tourer. Less than 700 pounds and 27"(ish) seat height.

Check the capacity of the bags first if the plan is to pack for touring.

Hossamania

Now there's one of these to consider, the new HydraGlide.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Deye76

March 04, 2024, 12:10:52 PM #36 Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 02:02:59 PM by Deye76
"One thing I do notice is that Softails steer heavier than the touring bikes"

I find it hard to believe that a Streetglide with a 4X8 sheet of plywood (batwing fairing) and a radio and speakers and wiring mounted to the forks, steers lighter than any of the Softails.  :scratch:
Edit: Meant to say forks, not handlebars.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

Quote from: Deye76 on March 04, 2024, 12:10:52 PM"One thing I do notice is that Softails steer heavier than the touring bikes"

I find it hard to believe that a Streetglide with a 4X8 sheet of plywood (batwing fairing) and a radio and speakers and wiring mounted to the handlebars, steers lighter than any of the Softails.  :scratch:

At speed the SG steers lighter. Low speed might be close. Low or high speed, the RoadKing steers lighter.
I've not ridden the new frame Softails in a few years and can't remember the feel, so they may have changed from the older TwinCam frames.
When I would get off my Ultra and get on my brother's '96 Heritage, I was always surprised at how heavy his steering was, low or high speed. The touring bikes just plain steer better at speed.

jrgreene1968

Quote from: Hossamania on March 04, 2024, 12:29:56 PM
Quote from: Deye76 on March 04, 2024, 12:10:52 PM"One thing I do notice is that Softails steer heavier than the touring bikes"

I find it hard to believe that a Streetglide with a 4X8 sheet of plywood (batwing fairing) and a radio and speakers and wiring mounted to the handlebars, steers lighter than any of the Softails.  :scratch:

At speed the SG steers lighter. Low speed might be close. Low or high speed, the RoadKing steers lighter.
I've not ridden the new frame Softails in a few years and can't remember the feel, so they may have changed from the older TwinCam frames.
When I would get off my Ultra and get on my brother's '96 Heritage, I was always surprised at how heavy his steering was, low or high speed. The touring bikes just plain steer better at speed.
I rode a newer fatboy awile back and it was definitely lighter steering than my 02. Ride was way better also. Guess the new frame is the difference. My 02 will beat you to death on a long ride. Im thinking of buying a RG to replace my fatboy