April 27, 2024, 03:18:23 PM

News:

77-79 FXS Engine Colors

Started by DA71FX, March 06, 2024, 11:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DA71FX

Does anyone know the "Correct" finishes for the 77-79 lowrider engine and transmission? I just picked up a 79 FXS with what appears to be mostly original motor and trans, no real aftermarket parts or chrome. So far, the only non-stock engine components are the S&S Super B and the Harley Screamin Eagle Pipes, so it is at least very 80s / 90s originalish. I was planning to start giving it a good cleaning and start detailing the driveline. and doing the usual maintenance items.
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Fugawee

I believe that back in the 70's the Engine/Tranny Paint was called Black Granite.
It's been a while.
I'm not so sure that it is available anymore and is now called Texture Black.
A Rattle Can of that from a Dealer aint' cheap...about 30-35 bucks a can.
I repainted the Engine/Trans. on a 76' XLH, and three different Shovels using the Texture Black.
They came out just fine.  The Prep is the key.  The Engines/Tranny's were out of the Frame.
No law saying You have to do that...I just found it easier.
Harley sells Texture Black, as well as Wrinkle Black.
There is a bit of a difference between the two.
You can of course go to a local Auto Parts, or other Store and see what they have to offer in Engine Paints.

DA71FX

Thanks that gets me 50% of the way...now for that silver on the cone cover, rocker and outer primary.....
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

bump

March 07, 2024, 02:08:55 AM #3 Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 02:18:03 AM by bump
The silver color on the Rockers, cone and primary was also on the lower legs of front fork. Mine was just a paint, I used rattle can to paint them. Mine is a 78 FXS

Buglet

March 07, 2024, 05:41:10 AM #4 Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 07:11:03 AM by kd
  For what it's worth Harley's paint works the best. I tried all different brands and have found nothing that ever holds up close to Harley paint. Now with all the EPA it's harded to find good paint that will hold up. But prep is key.