April 27, 2024, 09:07:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lifters

Started by conmag, March 16, 2024, 08:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conmag

At what mileage should I start thinking about changing lifters in 2018 M8?

road-dawgs1

What mileage do you have now and are they the stock lifters that came in it? Any noises or anything? If you have mileage around 30k you should probably have a look at them.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

rigidthumper

Stock cam/lifters? Should be good for the duration. If you change cam, then change lifters and inner cam bearing.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

JSD

The cam inner ina bearing is a weak point. HD lifters I would not trust either. 

Deye76

"HD lifters I would not trust either."
Pretty much what I said in the post that got deleted. Several guys from this area I know, who post in HTT had  factory lifters take out their engines. The last 3 new Harley's I purchased, I changed out before the first oil change..
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Dan89flstc

Quote from: JSD on March 17, 2024, 11:45:13 PMThe cam inner ina bearing is a weak point. HD lifters I would not trust either.

Why do you say the inner cam bearing is a weak point, is there some history of M8 inner cam bearings failing?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Deye76

Quote from: Dan89flstc on March 23, 2024, 06:45:55 PM
Quote from: JSD on March 17, 2024, 11:45:13 PMThe cam inner ina bearing is a weak point. HD lifters I would not trust either.

Why do you say the inner cam bearing is a weak point, is there some history of M8 inner cam bearings failing?

INA cam bearings have a long history of failing.

JSD

Always use koyo full roller

IronButt70

Quote from: JSD on March 25, 2024, 09:03:23 PMAlways use koyo full roller
Always had good results with Torringtons too.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

hattitude

Quote from: IronButt70 on March 27, 2024, 06:44:50 AM

FYI.... Due to Torrington selling to Timken, who later sold the Torrington Bearing line to JTEKT Corporation of Japan, Torrington bearings are now marketed solely under the Koyo brand name.

https://www.sonnax.com/posts/833-jtekt-north-america-koyo-bearings-notice

IronButt70

Quote from: hattitude on March 28, 2024, 07:22:34 PM

FYI.... Due to Torrington selling to Timken, who later sold the Torrington Bearing line to JTEKT Corporation of Japan, Torrington bearings are now marketed solely under the Koyo brand name.

Did not know that. The last ones I replaced on my TC we're stamped Torrington IIRC but that was 6 years ago.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

hattitude

Quote from: IronButt70 on March 29, 2024, 06:53:24 AM
Quote from: hattitude on March 28, 2024, 07:22:34 PM

Did not know that. The last ones I replaced on my TC we're stamped Torrington IIRC but that was 6 years ago.

Probably NOS f they said Torrington. According to the article, they have been sold under the Koyo brand name since 2013.

When I did my first cam upgrade in about 2017, I looked around trying to get the actual Torrington Bearings instead of the "replacement" Koyo brand bearings.  That is when someone told me they are one in the same, that Torrington sold out, and they are all now called Koyo.

As far as quality is concerned, in 2009 when JTEKT Corporation of Japan bought out the Torrington Bearing line from Timken (who originally bought out Torrington in 2003), they bought the manufacturing plants and tech center along with 3,400 employees.  So they could be the same quality as when they were Torrington...

Dan89flstc

March 30, 2024, 05:41:07 AM #12 Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 05:48:05 AM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: Deye76 on March 24, 2024, 05:17:00 AM
Quote from: Dan89flstc on March 23, 2024, 06:45:55 PM

INA cam bearings have a long history of failing.

In M8 engines? 
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Deye76

"In M8 engines?"
Good question, that I don't have the answer for.
In my M8 a different cam at 1000 miles, so the bearing got changed before I gave it a chance, LOL.

JSD

As said the factory use ina . Fit Koyo 

FSG

INA make very good bearings ......

it's just that HD use the INA Caged Needle Bearing that is NOT up to the task as found by the many that have had the INA Bearing let go ......

HD themselves fit a FULL COMPLIMENT Needle Bearing in the SE's and CVO Model bikes

so it make sense to change the bearing to a Timken/Torrington/Koyo Full Compliment sooner than later

if you don't have/use a Bearing Supplier then Full Compliment Timken/Torrington/Koyo can be purchased from your HD Dealer at competitive prices to a Bearing Shop

98fxstc

Quote from: FSG on March 30, 2024, 07:49:41 PMINA make very good bearings ......

it's just that HD use the INA Caged Needle Bearing that is NOT up to the task as found by the many that have had the INA Bearing let go ......

HD themselves fit a FULL COMPLIMENT Needle Bearing in the SE's and CVO Model bikes

so it make sense to change the bearing to a Timken/Torrington/Koyo Full Compliment sooner than later

if you don't have/use a Bearing Supplier then Full Compliment Timken/Torrington/Koyo can be purchased from your HD Dealer at competitive prices to a Bearing Shop

I was not aware of this, but I recall when I replaced the cam bearings in my 09 CVO Fatbob the oem bearings were 9215 full complement bearings .
I checked Ronnies parts finder and looked at a couple of years/models and I note the 2017 Softail Slim has the 9215 bearings and the Slim S has 24018-10, but both full complement, different manufacturers ?

Ohio HD

Ronnie's could be sourcing them in bulk from other sources. Were they in HD OEM wrapping?

98fxstc

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 31, 2024, 12:34:26 PMRonnie's could be sourcing them in bulk from other sources. Were they in HD OEM wrapping?
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 31, 2024, 12:34:26 PMRonnie's could be sourcing them in bulk from other sources. Were they in HD OEM wrapping?

I did not buy from Ronnies, just using their parts references to get my head around this.
It looks like the 9215 bearings are not full complement.

FSG

Quote from: 98fxstc on March 31, 2024, 05:12:42 PMIt looks like the 9215 bearings are not full complement.

:up:

from the 2013 Technical Forum

kd

Is that an admission that they have a better bearing for the CVO but continue to use an admittedly substandard version for all regular models?  :nix:
KD

98fxstc

Quote from: kd on March 31, 2024, 06:19:14 PMIs that an admission that they have a better bearing for the CVO but continue to use an admittedly substandard version for all regular models?  :nix:

Similar to the SE lefty bearing ?

kouack

Quote from: kd on March 31, 2024, 06:19:14 PMIs that an admission that they have a better bearing for the CVO but continue to use an admittedly substandard version for all regular models?  :nix:
When you pay a premium price on a CVO, you gotta have a little extra over the regular one  :potstir:  :chop:  :scoot:

wfolarry

That's an admission that they use the wrong valve springs & need the better bearing.
I'm surprised they don't put better lifters in them too.

Hossamania

Quote from: wfolarry on April 01, 2024, 05:17:15 AM

That's an admission that they use the wrong valve springs & need the better bearing.
I'm surprised they don't put better lifters in them too.

All decisions are economic.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.