April 27, 2024, 10:38:31 AM

News:

cams

Started by roadkingdresser, March 24, 2024, 04:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Got a set of cams out of a 05 flhtc to change the tensioners and new bearings. Went to put the cams back in the inner chain and only 1 cam has a dot on the gear to time them. Now what?
roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

Did you look on gears for lines and on the front side end of the cams?

The photo is borrowed from Max.

roadkingdresser

I did find the dot on the gear cam and on the rear of the other, I found the line and was hoping that was what I was supposed to use for the timing. Thanks for verifying that!
roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

It's also in the service manual for the TC 88 motors.

roadkingdresser

Yes only the one cam was pin striped on the gear.The other one was on the rear of the shaft. Never ran into this before.
roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

Sounds like someone has been there before you, and possibly switched one of the cams from another set.

kd

Gear installation?
KD

roadkingdresser

Finished putting it together tonight,turned it over with the back wheel.had good compression. Fired right up and sounds good. 1 owner and the grandson bought it from his pap,hasn't been run in 2 years.Started to make that noise when the tensioners are worn thru. nobody has ever had it apart,33553 mi. Oil changes and air filter was only thing done to it.
roadkingdresser

smoserx1

None of the cams I ever used in my bike had the extra set of markings on the chain sprockets, but that is a nice feature. It is a lot easier to make sure the cams are timed to each other using those markings as they are right next to each other.  If your cams lack the sprocket markings use a straightedge to verify alignment with the markings on the end of the cams like the SM suggests.