April 27, 2024, 07:30:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

peeling inside gas tank

Started by chas, March 29, 2024, 03:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Hi All- I noticed some large flakes of tank liner beginning to fall off. Anybody have a product they used to cream the tank and was successful? I did it to another bike years ago and it worked good,but cant remember the name of it. Many thanks in advance.- Chas

Inda Win

I must be getting old, because when I first saw the subject I thought it said "peeing inside gas tank".  :SM:

bump

I did a tank that sat for 10 years with gas in it. Inside was full of crud and the liner was peeling off. I out about 2 handfuls of machine nuts in tank with kerosene, then skook it until my arms about fell off. Didn't do much. I then out in 1 lb drywall screws in tank then set this up.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Let it run like that for about 2 hrs then cleaned out tank. It worked very well cleaning tank. Then I used Por 15 Fuel tank sealer. Tank doesn't leak now.

chas

motorhogman

This is what I used back in the day when I had a radiator repair shop. Worked great,.. Goofy video.. I know. 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

hattitude

My 2001 Springer I bought used in 2017, had the liner peel.

I did a bunch of research and it seemed no matter what liner you used: Red Kote, Kreem, KBS tank sealer, or POR-15 fuel tank restoration, there are people who had the new liner peel again. I'm sure it was probably a prep issue, but it showed me that nothing is bullet proof.

There was a motorcycle tank restorer service just an hour drive north of me. I contacted them for a quote and information, but never got a response.

So I decided to clean up the peeling liner the best I could, and just run it about 90% bare metal.. That was 7 years ago, and it still has no issues.

There are no other peeling liner pieces and the bare metal shows no rust. I do usually keep it between full and half full, ride it regularly, and live in a the dry SoCal climate..

To clean it, I took some #4 birdshot and put it in the tank. I wrapped the tank in bubble wrap, then in a thick comforter (or two, can't remember). I wedged it in the drier (it was jammed in there pretty good, no movement) and put it on a a slow spin, air-dry cycle.  I forget the length of time, but the shot wore off all the loose liner, and left only a small amount of liner in the bottom/creases of the tank.

JW113

Just as motorhogman said, I take mine to my local radiator shop. They knock all that crap and rust out then apply Redcoat. In fact, am just about to take the tanks from my '77 down there, now that is raining.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

JSD

I used a chemical called kEM that "Potty mouth" in crazy with in a hour the gas cap rubbers were gone. Then I used vinegar. Then the 3 step KBS on my 68 tanks