April 30, 2024, 12:28:19 PM

News:

04 FLT drivetrain in FXR chassis

Started by xlfan, April 16, 2024, 01:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

Does anyone remember the thread regarding FXR frame mods to fit a -04 FLT drive train?
I can't find it with the search engine.

hrdtail78

Only mod I know is to remove, or relocate cross member of bottom frame or modify or buy a new oil pan.
Semper Fi

Deye76

Right side mid foot peg/brake lever might need attention. Turboprop would know.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

turboprop

Much easier to do if one used the '99 - '00 trans case as it allows any year FXR inner primary to bolt on (one threaded hole must be drilled to a through hole).

To answer the mail, if an aftermarket oil pan is used, the entire drive train will bolt in without mods for the most part.

- The swingarm pivot hole requires a decision about which swingarm is being used. The critical dimension is the bearing ID in the swingarm pivot and the ID of the hole in the trans case. Lots of ways to solve this. I have not ever met anyone that did not have 'The Best' way. On one of my bikes I bored the trans case to accept the larger late model shaft, the other bike uses uses adapter bushings in the swingarm.

- If an adapter oil pan is used, the right side foot peg mounting block will have to be clearanced.

- If the oem oil pan is retained, the crossmember will have to be removed to clear the pan. The low cost solution is to use the crossmember and mid controls from a dyna (Barf). 

- If the '99 - '00 trans case is used, the FXR inner primary will have to have a hole drilled through.  There is a bolt that attaches a ground strap to the back side of the trans case. In OEM form, the bolt is accessed from the right side of the bike and is under the transmission. This bolt goes through the trans case and threads into the inner primary. The FXR inner primary will have to have that threaded hole drilled to accept a 5/16" bolt. This bolt will be the third bolt that goes through the inner primary and into the trans case, located at 6 O-Clock behind the clutch basket.

- If the oem FXR inner primary case is used, nothing else is required to the right side. All OEM mid controls and floorboards will bolt on in their factory configuration.

- Conversions using trans cases other than '99 - '00 with require some fabrication to use factory mid controls or floorboards. The will require a vertical mill.

- The oem top engine/coil mount will work, but not really ideal as the TC coil mounts differently. I made a small run of top mounts that accept the oem TC coil. Looks factory.

- Throttle bodies will require the bracket on the top tube that the upper stabilizer link to be cut off and a different one welded in its place. In its oem configuration, the mount and link prevent throttle bodies from being installed.

Electrical and ignition requirements are outside of the scope of the OPs question so I am limiting my response to only the mechanical requirements to put the drivetrain into the chassis. 

Best of luck with your project.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.