May 04, 2024, 04:41:57 PM

News:

E85 and Motor Oil

Started by Ohio HD, April 23, 2024, 06:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

I read this article about using E85 in performance applications, and they're recommending to run a little high viscosity due to oil dilution at a higher rate when running E85. In general E85 runs at an AFR of 9.8 vs. gasoline at 14.7 AFR. Performance applications will be richer in either E85 or gasoline in parts of the MAP. 

I'm trying to educate myself on E85 usage. It makes complete sense as far as running a slightly higher viscosity, but it's something that didn't enter my mind until I read this.

https://www.enginelabs.com/tech-stories/selecting-the-right-oil-for-your-e85-powered-application/

calif phil

I think this would be a good oil to use, Motul 10W50 108586 300V2 Racing 4T Engine Oil

SP33DY

Any top rated high performance oil should be fine. We use Brad Penn synthetic 20-50 and Schaeffer synthetic in an alcohol sprint car engine with good results. Watch the color of your oil. If it starts to get a little bit milky then you have alcohol dilution.

hrdtail78

Watches like an oil commercial.

I wonder what all the other vehicles are doing?  I'm sure e85 isn't at the pump for just the hot rod Harley guys. 
Semper Fi