May 04, 2024, 01:15:06 PM

News:

Softail Oil Bag Leak

Started by Ironpig9, April 24, 2024, 12:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironpig9

My 2013 Softail Deluxe has developed an oil leak. After much crawling around, looking up and feeling around I believe I have found it. It looks like the leak is coming from where the oil drain line attaches to the oil bag, either from a shot clamp or the fitting itself. The entire drain line from the oil bag down is wet with oil which is slowly dripping off the frame. I checked the drain plug and it is not leaking nor is it wet with oil due to the protective metal circle around the plug.
Now, has anyone experienced a (welding) crack where the nipple for the drain line comes out of the oil bag?? (Or a problem with the drain line at the  oil bag?) I pray that a welding crack is not the problem and that the problem is with the drain line itself. Let me know what you think or have experienced please.   :banghead:
"The road goes on forever...."

rigidthumper

I have replaced a couple of the 63628-00 elbow hoses due to dry cracking, but those were on 15-20 year old bikes.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Coyote

Check if a screw clamp was used on that line. They slowly eat through the rubber. It is supposed to be an Oteker type clamp, not a screw one.

calif phil

Might even just have a clamp that is not tight. I also have replaced quite a few elbows that were leaking.

Ironpig9

Thanks for the replies. I sure hope it's the clamp or elbow. I'm going to run it down to a nearby dealership and let them have a look see. Thanks again for the replies and rays of hope. :wink:
"The road goes on forever...."