May 06, 2024, 04:13:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

replacing starter on 07 soft tail

Started by tc1550, April 26, 2024, 06:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc1550

i have only replaced one on a dyna in the past pretty simple straight forward . 07 deuce starter is needing replacement is it very complicated? looks like oil tank has to come out 

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

FLDavetrain

It's been over 10 yrs but think I opted to remove the rear wheel to change starter on the softail
currently 510ci on tap

Dan89flstc

Are you sure the starter is bad?

Not a common occurrence.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

jls 64

Quote from: FLDavetrain on April 26, 2024, 12:58:53 PMIt's been over 10 yrs but think I opted to remove the rear wheel to change starter on the softail
:agree:
js

Hossamania

Quote from: Dan89flstc on April 26, 2024, 06:36:52 PMAre you sure the starter is bad?

Not a common occurrence.

It's definitely worth confirming before replacement. Mine is 23 years old, 130,000 miles, still original.
What makes you think it needs replacement?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tc1550

Just click clicks batt tested ok power to main post 12v hitting starter button at green wire engine not sized batt connections are good

Leed

If it comes to replacing the starter California Phil got me a great price on a new one. Give him a call.

kd

Quote from: tc1550 on April 28, 2024, 08:30:16 AMJust click clicks batt tested ok power to main post 12v hitting starter button at green wire engine not sized batt connections are good

After finding those things, I would consider checking and cleaning all of the ground connections and then test the solenoid to see if the pull in winding has a complete circuit to the engine case. If that checks out and the solenoid is actually and actively pulling the contact disc in, then the disc may be carboned up from arcing and need to be cleaned or flipped over. The things I mentioned IMO are way more common that an actual starter winding failure. 
KD

Hossamania

What is the voltage at the battery when the starter button is pushed? Have you tried jumping the battery as a test?
The battery is always a suspect, especially when it can't possibly be the battery. 12.25 standing volts on the battery is about 50% charged. 12.5v is 70% charge.

Ohio HD

How did you test the battery, load test?

tc1550

replaced starter all is good cranks like a champ

Hossamania