May 17, 2024, 12:09:56 PM

News:

Complete transmisson removal

Started by tbird, April 29, 2024, 06:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbird

Can a complete 6 speed touring transmisson with oil pan be removed with the engine in place?

rigidthumper

Yes, if you pull the primary, starter, exhaust, & swingarm.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

tbird

Getting tired of working on my 07 transmisson. Just weighing my options. Was thinking about upgrading to a later model tranny.

Ohio HD

April 29, 2024, 04:04:46 PM #3 Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 04:10:09 PM by Ohio HD
Something to know about the early six speed transmissions. In 2010 they changed the fifth gear set from straight cut gears to helical cut gears. Why this matters is that the speedometer input reads the fifth gear. So when you use a 2010 and newer Twin Cam six speed in an earlier six speed bike, the speedometer will not function correctly. There is however a way to make the later model transmission work correctly in an earlier bike. You have to take it to the dealer and have them update the ECM per service bulletin M1330.

That being said, two dealers near me would not work on my bike to update the ECM. Two reasons, they won't work on a 2008 as it's over 15 years old. The other and more likely reason was I have to trailer it there because my bike won't run on the stock ECM. And I have to flash the TTS tune after they upgrade per service bulletin M1330. So ask your dealer about this service before getting another transmission.

What's wrong with yours that it can't be fixed?

ADDED: You can reuse your fifth gear, the countershaft and the fifth gear dog ring in a newer transmission if they're in good shape. That way the speedometer would work as it should. I say if in good shape because you can't buy them anymore.

tbird

That's good info,making me rethink this. All started a few yrs back. Race walked first, then the main bearing went out and now the race walked again. Worried about the main bearing and if the case got compromised. Maybe just over thinking

Ohio HD

April 30, 2024, 08:51:48 AM #5 Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 03:00:11 PM by Ohio HD
The 2007 model year transmission had issues with the inner primary race walking that were changed mid year. If your bike was made prior to 5/30/2007 it has a mainshaft that measures 0.985" where the inner primary race mounts. There were many issues in the 2006 Dyna and 2007 all models where the race moved inward. Starting 05/30/2007 HD used a mainshaft that has a slight ridge that helps to hold the inner primary race in place. That later transmission shaft measures 0.9765", so the inner primary bearing race are different from the earlier six speeds.

You can find this info in the HD TT329 document.

That being said, there is no other part that prevents the race from walking. S&S Cycle has developed a race that helps prevent walking, but it does not fit the earlier six speed due to the mainshaft size. Some guys have used a TIG welder to make a very small weld from the shaft to the edge of the race. Others have used Loctite retaining compounds to hold the race in it's place. Of course an option is to replace the mainshaft to the later part.

You can see the ridge in the photo, it's very slight but it's there.

ADDED: If the bike is made after 05/30/2007 and the transmission mainshaft has the ridge, you can use the S&S Cycle race 560-0241 as long as the mainshaft measure 0.9765" where the race slides in place.

https://www.sscycle.com/products/ss-improved-inner-primary-bearing-race-for-2008-up-hd-big-twins/

You cannot see attachments on this board.

tbird

I have the early one, manufactured Aug 06

Ohio HD

Well if you do need to R&R the bearing, maybe source a mainshaft from a newer bike. Then you would also use an inner primary bearing race 34091-08 or the S&S race.   

Ohio HD

May 01, 2024, 01:06:04 PM #8 Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 08:04:24 AM by Ohio HD
Just some additional info. These are the three parts you would need to retain from your original transmission (2006 to 2009) to put in a 2010 and newer six speed and retain the speedometer function.

2006 to 2009 original part - 35470-06  COUNTERSHAFT ASSEMBLY
2006 to 2009 original part - 35801-06  GEAR, FIFTH INPUT
2006 to 2009 original part - 35201-06  GUIDE HUB, DOG RING

I found 35201-06 at a US HD dealer. The 35801-06 I found at an HD dealer in Wales UK. The 35470-06 countershaft I found a used one in great shape from a crashed 2008 RK. There are none in the USA or Canada.

Your options:
(1) Use a newer transmission, 2010 to 2016 can be used, just these three parts have to be switched over from your transmission or another early model.

(2) Or find a 2008 to 2009 transmission in good shape and just bolt that in.

(3) Install a 2008 or newer mainshaft in your transmission with the correct inner primary race.

(4) Using the transmission as it is, but TIG weld a spot on the edge of the inner primary bearing race to the mainshaft. 

You cannot see attachments on this board.