May 29, 2024, 02:19:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TC 5 speed pulley nut torque

Started by fbn ent, May 13, 2024, 11:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Ok, I gotta ask....drive pulley.
I've done it before but always used a couple taps from the 3/4" impact. Don't think I've done any damage but...
60# plus 35 to 40 degrees torque turn.
How are you guys achieving that?
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

RoadKingKohn

Quote from: fbn ent on May 13, 2024, 11:43:00 AMOk, I gotta ask....drive pulley.
I've done it before but always used a couple taps from the 3/4" impact. Don't think I've done any damage but...

It has been awhile since I have done it but is that the left hand thread? Are you using a pulley clamp?

tdrglide

I use magnetic base protractor on my 3/4" breaker bar

fbn ent

May 13, 2024, 04:06:24 PM #3 Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 07:29:31 PM by kd
Quote from: RoadKingKohn on May 13, 2024, 02:01:22 PM
Quote from: fbn ent on May 13, 2024, 11:43:00 AMOk, I gotta ask....drive pulley.

It has been awhile since I have done it but is that the left hand thread? Are you using a pulley clamp?

RKK....Yes, I use the Jim's tool.

Ohio HD

For torque values that require an angle to finish the tightening, I have a Snap On TA360 Torque Angle Gauge. The OTC below would do the same job. You have to have an area that you can use the stop rod so that you get the angle when turning the fastener.

https://otctools.com/products/torque-angle-gauge

speedzter

Initial torque then just draw a line on the socket and the pulley ,
draw another line on the pulley at "around" 35-40 deg .
Just hope you can line up the lock plate holes, or you may need to go up to max 45 deg.
It's actually shown in the service manual .

fbn ent

I am aware of the way to do it but the torque turn is crazy tight. I'm going to set up a 3/4" breaker bar and a snipe tp try it again. BTW I use Jim's nut with multiple holes so it isn't an issue.

98fxstc

The OTC tool looks like a good one, would be handy to have.

For a one-of job you could estimate it.
A quarter turn is easy,
and 35° is a bit more than a third of a quarter turn.
40° is a bit less than a half of a quarter turn.

If you wanted to be more precise, make your own cardboard protractor,
30° is a third of a quarter and 45° is a half of a quarter,
and those marks can be divided into thirds to give you 30°, 35°, 40° and 45°

speedzter

Quote from: fbn ent on May 13, 2024, 04:35:01 PMI am aware of the way to do it but the torque turn is crazy tight. I'm going to set up a 3/4" breaker bar and a snipe tp try it again. BTW I use Jim's nut with multiple holes so it isn't an issue.

I did wonder why you were asking !!
I just did the job recently and thought the same - it's crazy tight !.
And yes a 3/4 breaker bar with a cheater makes it easy enough.

hrdtail78

I eye ball 45 and get it close.  I always put lock on nut before socket for reference.  I don't think it is the most critical tq spec.  Book also states to go more to line up lock holes.
Semper Fi

fbn ent

I got it with a little help from a friend using my olde Shovel socket. Had to go one hole more to line up. A little over but should work...