September 20, 2024, 08:18:40 PM

News:

Blowing Dipstick

Started by fbn ent, May 28, 2024, 06:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Well....it's "Phone a Friend" time.

Just finished the new top end on my '02 Road Glide. Fired it up, lifters quieted and it blew the dipstick.  :crook: It worked fine before disassembly. This is new to me so....

* Compression is good on both cylinders.
* I did the suck-blow on the breathers and they work as advertised.
* When cranking the breathers puff at the start and then quit (or get so light that air flow is unnoticeable).
* I did have the oil pan out but unless I missed something (maybe...:nix:)there isn't anything there to cause
  this.
* I also replaced the sprocket shaft seal as I felt as though I was getting some oil transfer

Gas tank is off and I'm ready to pull the rocker box (s) tomorrow but I thought I'd ask tonight. :hug:

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

Lower rocker box gasket on right side up? 

fbn ent

I would like to think so as they are clearly marked...it's take it apart Wednesday tomorrow. :banghead:

Ohio HD

I know you've done a few in your day, but mistakes happen, if that's the issue.

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 28, 2024, 07:22:23 PMI know you've done a few in your day, but mistakes happen, if that's the issue.

Don't they also usually leak when installed that way?  I know they're tough to notice and easy to flip over.
KD

Ohio HD

I seem to remember that the Evo oil pan gasket will fit the TC, but they are not the same and cause some issues. Could you have gotten the wrong one?

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on May 28, 2024, 07:44:42 PMDon't they also usually leak when installed that way?  I know they're tough to notice and easy to flip over.

They may, I don't know though.

fbn ent

Ohio...came from the dealer. You'd think it's the right one. I'll check the part # just because.

Ohio HD

May 28, 2024, 07:57:33 PM #8 Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 08:23:47 PM by Ohio HD
Yeah, it should be right, just trying to cover all bases.

Added: If my memory is working, I think the oil pan gasket switch causes oil feed issues. And it doesn't seem that you have that issue.

kd

I personally never had it happen with the lower rocker box gasket to the head but remember it being discussed here,  Because of that I test fit a set wrong on my bench and there was a slight discrepancy in the center galley that could block one port and allow a leak to form along one of the center ribs.  It was hard to notice a mistaken installation.
KD

Rockout Rocker Products

You cannot see attachments on this board.

:oops:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

fbn ent

Well guys....none of the above. Going to have to look deeper I guess.

roadkingdresser

Don't know if it helps ,but a friend had that problem and ended up was the oil pump.
roadkingdresser

fbn ent

Well guys I got it figured. I haven't gotten back to yous because of a real bad case of embarrassment but I thought I would wrap this up to show what can happen. My OCD had me do this. :emoGroan: I usually tag stuff with red ribbon or sticker but this time...nope. Note to self, "Cap, NOT plug." Glad it didn't get into the cam case.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

Tacocaster

No matter how dumb you feel for doing something dumb, there's hundreds on here like you and me that have done and will do far worse so I'd say you're in good company.
Glad you found it - and at no cost - bonus!!
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Rickyj

Check the o ring that the oil pump pushes into. Sumping issue if you have lot of oil in crankcase. Nothing to do with gasket

fbn ent

Um..."nothing to do with the gasket." See my explanation on my post (#13) above.

james r

Could Someone Explain?
Don't Understand?

kd

August 15, 2024, 10:00:05 PM #18 Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 10:04:06 PM by kd
Quote from: james r on August 15, 2024, 08:01:08 PMCould Someone Explain?
Don't Understand?

You really should read or reread the whole thread from the beginning.  When you get to post #13 read it and look closely at the pic.  In the bottom left corner of the pic you'll see a black rubber plug laying next to the fitting.  fbn explains he used it to plug the line and instead of having a visible Cap sealing it off.  He forgot it was there and left it in place.  That plug was the cause of the problem and  it was cured by removing it after realizing what he had done.
KD

Dan89flstc

Quote from: kd on August 15, 2024, 10:00:05 PM
Quote from: james r on August 15, 2024, 08:01:08 PMCould Someone Explain?
Don't Understand?

You really should read or reread the whole thread from the beginning. 

I didn`t understand either, and I read the entire thread.

In post 13 the op explained by saying "Note to self, cap not plug".

"Cap not plug" made no sense to me.
US Navy Veteran 1974-1979 (AD2) A&P Mechanic
1989 FLSTC, 2019 FLHT, 2022 FLHTCUTG

fbn ent

I had a plug in the breather fitting.  :banghead: See the pic.

Hilly13

Plug went unnoticed on hose install hence he said he should of capped it instead of plugging it as he would of seen a cap because he would of been trying to push a hose over it, he ain't the first and he won't be the last, we need red caps, all sizes lol.
Just because its said don't make it so

Sycho01

Thanks for the explanation. We all learned something today.