September 20, 2024, 08:20:33 PM

News:

73 oil pump

Started by motorhead, June 28, 2024, 10:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhead

I have a 73 shovel with an oil pump with a .375 ball and spring in the pressure relief hole. The bore hole is .400. Stock pumps have a plunger that is .435. This is too big for the hole on this pump. What kind of oil pump do I have here? Is the ball correct for this pump or is there plunger that fits this hole of .400?

Ohio HD

Are you sure you have the right parts in the right opening? The only thing above the 3/8 bearing is a spring and the cap.

motorhead

Yes its the taller tower. The hole measures .400. Its a mystery to me and others. The ball check valve next to it also has the same ball size.

Ohio HD

Post pictures of what you have and where the parts are fitted.

motorhead

It is very similar to the pic above. The hole that part #71 goes into is .400's of an inch. The stock plunger size should be .435 making it to big to fit in the hole. So it has a 3/8 inch ball and spring in it. Mayby it was designed this way. Could be some after market pump.

kd

Part #71 ?  :scratch:  typo?
KD

motorhead

Sorry, part # 61 plunger style that measures .435 of an inch goes into most stock oil pumps in the pressure relief tower. But my particular pump has hole a ID of .400. So a stock plunger is too big for the pressure relief hole. Currently it has a 3/8 inch ball and spring. Question is, Is this an aftermarket pump or odd year pump. By the way this is stock 73 Shovel. No one that I talked to have not seen a ball in the pressure relief tower. The pump is very similar to the illustration above.

Ohio HD

My guess is it's a Sifton oil pump from Tedd Cycle, originating from Taiwan.

98s1lightning

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 29, 2024, 08:20:55 AMMy guess is it's a Sifton oil pump from Tedd Cycle, originating from Taiwan.
0.400" × 25.4 = 10.16mm

I would have to agree that's a good guess

0.435" is only 0.0025" smaller than 7/16" which is 0.4375"

I'm not sure if my observations have anything to do with it, but those are my thoughts. Good luck man.

motorhead

Hey thanks to all. I am gonna with that idea for now.