News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Main Menu

87 FL Frankenbagger.

Started by hrdtail78, July 01, 2024, 02:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdtail78

Time for a couple of changes and to get this back on the road.  The engine was built about 8 years ago and it has sat.

It's a Ultima based 128 evo w: Sach's worked heads. About 150hp with carb.

You cannot view this attachment.

Semper Fi

turboprop

That case has a hole for a crank sensor?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

hrdtail78

Quote from: turboprop on July 01, 2024, 02:57:29 PMThat case has a hole for a crank sensor?

No, it does not.  No teeth on flywheel either.  Wish it did.  I plan on using stock cup and 3 wire HD pick up. 
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

I'm going to document the mods here.  Great project among 3 friends. 

Bike came out of an auction after it sat for about 15 years.  Tony made the purchase.  At the same time Joe and I was building this 128 for his 88 fxr.  Joe bike is a wheelie bike and this engine wasn't best for the application.  Some how the deal was made and we stuck it in Tony's new to him FL.  Whole drive train and swing arm.  Joe went to a 105 tc FI in his FXR.  Bike went up to Alaska and sat for 7 years.  Then it came back to the shop.  Tony asked me what I wanted to do to the bike.  After discussion between the 3 of us.  We decided a bagger drag bike for mostly street racing. 

So, tear down begins.  There are some electric components that I have no idea what they are.  I assume some is cop bike stuff.  You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
Semper Fi

Ohio HD

Very cool project, especially the EFI addition. Are you going to use a Maxxecu on this?

hrdtail78

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 02, 2024, 04:31:34 PMVery cool project, especially the EFI addition. Are you going to use a Maxxecu on this?

Absolutely.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

The kid in the picture is Ben.  He is 17 and gonna be a senior.  He got a hold of me at the beginning of the summer and begged to work for me.  He didn't even want money, just begged to work and be around bikes.  So, we made a deal.  Work half the day for a bit of money and then work on bikes and learn.  Good kid and fits in this crew nicely.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Years back.  Tony gave me Buell rims and front end in some horse trading.  They have been considered for several projects and glad they go back to this one.  Brian from Murray's Perfromance made me some zero degree trees to help it all fit. 

Semper Fi

98s1lightning

Cool story on the kid. 

Sounds like a cool deal you made 1/2 work, 1/2 school. 

Thanks for sharing

hrdtail78

Got the pump and such mounted, and started planning of wiring. 

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

I use these for all my wire installs.  It's a 4 bank solid state relay with circuit protection.  Each relay can be controlled by feeding it voltage or finding ground.  I like the finding ground option to control start and power to coils.  IE. No voltage goes to handlebar buttons and terminate to a ground up by the neck.  Reduces the amount wires overall. 
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Quote from: turboprop on July 01, 2024, 02:57:29 PMThat case has a hole for a crank sensor?

This is plan B.  I haven't done a Maxx on an Evo.  I have list of 5 things so far.  Where the approach is.  "I have no idea yet.  We got to get there to find out."

Semper Fi

FSG

Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 03, 2024, 08:25:58 AM4 bank solid state relay with circuit protection

is that the MSD 20Amp x 4 OR the 35Amp x 4 ?

hrdtail78

This one is the 20amp unit.

Semper Fi

turboprop

Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 03, 2024, 08:38:05 AM

This is plan B.  I haven't done a Maxx on an Evo.  I have list of 5 things so far.  Where the approach is.  "I have no idea yet.  We got to get there to find out."

Just keep moving towards the sound of the guns. Interested to see how this turns out.

Are you planning to use the Pro or the Mini or something in between?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

hrdtail78

We are using the mini.  I usually use Race or Sport.  The big difference that affects me between these two is the bigger model the race.  Has stepper motor control for an AIC, but for TBW.  The Sport works great.  Same program for all units.  How many inputs and out puts and which type is the difference.  It boiled down to the Race if we wanted full control over closed loop idle being controlled by spark and air.  Or save a grand and not have ECM control idle.  All units have CANBus.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

I'll set hot idle with blade stop w/IAC closed.  I still have warm up fuel and some idle control with ignition.  
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Mounted up the Maxx and Lambda controller to the existing radio mount.  The Haltech is a nice unit w/ choice of sensor style and communicates on CANBus.

Semper Fi

Ohio HD

Jason what do you think you might see HP and TQ wise with the EFI addon? Just asking as you've tuned many motors and would have a good opinion of that. 

hrdtail78

I think we are going to find the limitations of the RB pipe.  I am hoping to be in the 160's SAE. 
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

This bike never had bags, but they need a set to fit the rules.  These bags are not everywhere so took what he could get.  The extension looks like glass over spray foam.  The leather cover just makes them for me.  My vote was to keep them as is.  Even though they are heavy.  Got out voted. 

We are finishing wheel install.  Have a bit of a hub alinement problem.  Gonna have to make a carrier and bolt a sprocket to the inside of it.  I've reached out to a sprocket company and they said they could have something in a couple of weeks. This set up is built on a 09 touring swing arm.  The other problem swing arm brings up is to mount them like stock.  The inside of bags will need cut to clearance shocks. 
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Another question off the list. 

Buell rims are wide.  They are cast and I had no room to take material off.  I contacted Rebel Gears for the solution.  They made me a carrier and sprocket set up.  It came in right under $200 to my door and replacement sprockets are $70. 

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
Semper Fi

Ohio HD

That's not a bad price for custom work. 

hrdtail78

Couple of mounted pics.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 30, 2024, 09:55:02 AMThat's not a bad price for custom work. 

Had it the next week and made in Tennesse. 
Semper Fi