September 20, 2024, 05:51:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

87 FL Frankenbagger.

Started by hrdtail78, July 01, 2024, 02:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

September 05, 2024, 01:23:00 AM #25 Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 03:00:14 AM by Adam76
Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 30, 2024, 10:37:26 AMCouple of mounted pics. You cannot see attachments on this board.

Nice work! That rear swingarm and sprocket set up looks killer.

Can you elaborate on what swingarm you used and how you fitted the new swingarm into the old frame?
I'm in the process of trying to fit an "updated / upgraded" swingarm to an Evo frame. Your advice would be greatly appreciated, but I'll start a new thread so I don't interrupt yours :-)

hrdtail78

Quote from: Adam76 on September 05, 2024, 01:23:00 AMNice work! That rear swingarm and sprocket set up looks killer.

Can you elaborate on what swingarm you used and how you fitted the new swingarm into the old frame?
I'm in the process of trying to fit an "updated / upgraded" swingarm to an Evo frame. Your advice would be greatly appreciated, but I'll start a new thread so I don't interrupt yours :-)

It's a Brocks swingarm.  The spacing of the rear transmissions and frames are the same from early model FXR and FL frames to latest model M8's.  The big difference is the updated 5/8's to 3/4's pivot shaft.  (05?? check that math) But the spherical bearing are the same.  Only the spacer and shaft needs to be switched.  Brock sells both styles and can be swapped between all the FL swing arms.  From what I can tell.  All the swing arms for 1 inch, 25mm, or 28mm axle swingarms are all the same back in the axle area as for as axle slots and the size difference is in the adjustment blocks.  I don't know about the older 3/4 axle stuff.

Late model FL swingarms will fit older model FL's and FXR's.  The Buell stuff was available and if looking for 17 sport bike wheels.  Busa and R1 stuff is much easier to deal with.

It's all basically plug and play.  Only fab is brake hangers and wheel spacers.  There are also shops that sell hangers and such for busa swaps.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

As for as body work?  Well....... Trying to use original fender over this 180.  We got the clearance but doesn't all line up but this isn't a show bike. 

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Semper Fi

Adam76

September 05, 2024, 06:22:20 PM #28 Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 06:32:12 PM by Adam76
Quote from: hrdtail78 on September 05, 2024, 08:23:04 AM
Quote from: Adam76 on September 05, 2024, 01:23:00 AMNice work! That rear swingarm and sprocket set up looks killer.

It's a Brocks swingarm.  The spacing of the rear transmissions and frames are the same from early model FXR and FL frames to latest model M8's.  The big difference is the updated 5/8's to 3/4's pivot shaft.  (05?? check that math) But the spherical bearing are the same.  Only the spacer and shaft needs to be switched.  Brock sells both styles and can be swapped between all the FL swing arms.  From what I can tell.  All the swing arms for 1 inch, 25mm, or 28mm axle swingarms are all the same back in the axle area as for as axle slots and the size difference is in the adjustment blocks.  I don't know about the older 3/4 axle stuff.

Late model FL swingarms will fit older model FL's and FXR's. The Buell stuff was available and if looking for 17 sport bike wheels.  Busa and R1 stuff is much easier to deal with.

It's all basically plug and play.  Only fab is brake hangers and wheel spacers.  There are also shops that sell hangers and such for busa swaps.

Thanks,
The Brock swingarms are pretty pricey.
The other option would be to retrofit a later twincam model swingarm in with the necessary "kit" along with the larger pivot shaft -- something like Custom Cycle Engineering kit ?? 

hrdtail78

Quote from: Adam76 on September 05, 2024, 06:22:20 PMThanks,
The Brock swingarms are pretty pricey.
The other option would be to retrofit a later twincam model swingarm in with the necessary "kit" along with the larger pivot shaft -- something like Custom Cycle Engineering kit ?? 

Nothing wrong with the later model spherical bearings.  Just need the smaller holed spacer kit from brocks.  Stock pivot and rubber bushing will work.

Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Big one checked off the list.  I have trigger signal and ECU knows what engine cycle both front and rear cylinder are in.  Degree wheel put me close but this cup is a bit off.  Maxx allows me to offset front and rear ignition separately.  I'll set these with light to address tolerance of cup.  Now I am to a point I feel confident this Maxx project will be a success.  The log is yellow counting missing teeth in cup.  Turn green when synchronized to engine cycle.  The bottom number is tooth count and side is time between teeth.  Since it only has 2 and match TDC of each.  You can see the time difference of the 405/315 degrees.  The Jay Leno backing plate is on the list to address. 

You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.
Semper Fi

Ohio HD

There's definitely some devil in the details there. No doubt a big learning curve.   

hrdtail78

This trigger log is off a 32 -2 harley style wheel.  With more resolution.  You can see the pattern of the slowed crank and how one would communicate this to the ECU to find what cycle engine is in.  This is one way the HD Delphi system does it.  Easy to see how removing plugs would screw with the reading.  Engine wont spark or fuel until it syncs.  This also means that the way the ECM knows the engine is being cranked to start is by this same trigger process.  Meaning, solenoid push button starters and start carts will work.  Maxx will allow you to run start circuit through it.  Allows features such has Bluetooth phone starting and ctrl S starts from key board.  Can also latch the start button for momentary press like the new cars.  Neat to play with in the shop but not practical in the field.

Semper Fi