September 20, 2024, 08:25:35 PM

News:

How to remove cruise control button

Started by Jim Bronson, July 02, 2024, 06:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

July 02, 2024, 06:42:11 PM Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 07:02:08 PM by FSG
I'm installing new handlebar switch covers. I've got the right side done, but I'm having trouble removing the cruise control button so I can remove the lower clamshell. I have tried just pulling it straight out, but I'm afraid I will damage it if I use any more pressure. Side view attached. Any ideas?

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Ohio HD

Looks like it's pressed on, but I don't know if it is.

Jim Bronson

Thanks. It sure looks like it is pressed on, but I pulled pretty hard, and no joy. Maybe a tiny squirt of WD40 to make it slide out easier.

Ohio HD

I wonder are they supposed to be one time use?

Coyote

They're pressed on. There is a plastic tool to help pull them straight.  You can reuse them if you pull them off straight.  But they are easy to damage.

Jim Bronson

I don't see a tool to remove them, but Ronnie's sells replacement caps for not much money. It's tomorrow's project; not enough light in the garage to work at night, but at least I know they are pressed on now. Stay tuned.

road-dawgs1

The little tool is included in the switch cap kit like when you replace with chrome switch caps. It's a white prong looking tool.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Jim Bronson

I think I'm screwed. The switch cap separated inside the module, not at the cap itself. That left me with the cap still attached to a tiny metal tube that fits inside the module. When I reassembled it, the switch doesn't seem to move like it should. I don't feel the feedback that I'm used to from my RK with the same arrangement. I may need to replace the switch module. Ugh.

road-dawgs1

Damn that sucks. If you find you need the tool, I do believe I have it in my toolbox from yesteryears.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

screem

My '16 softail has a tiny hairpin that i neede a jewlers needlnose to remove and reinstall it

Jim Bronson

Quote from: screem on July 04, 2024, 06:20:45 PMMy '16 softail has a tiny hairpin that i neede a jewlers needlnose to remove and reinstall it
Yep, I got hold of a pdf of the service manual, and it shows the hairpin clip that holds the button on. I thought it just pushed on, so I gave it a good yank. That was a bad idea.  :cry:

FSG

for the benefit of others   :SM:

Coyote

What year did they start doing that?

Jim Bronson

July 09, 2024, 05:48:57 PM #13 Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 05:53:19 PM by Jim Bronson
Quote from: Coyote on July 09, 2024, 04:28:37 PMWhat year did they start doing that?
I'm not sure, but the SM I downloaded is for the 2021 model. It was changed in 2016 or earlier.

FSG

July 09, 2024, 07:23:19 PM #14 Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 07:37:01 PM by FSG
interesting ...... from the online PMs .......    but

2015   Touring:   71500044   KEY CAP, cruise

2016    Touring:  71500044   SWITCH CAP, cruise
2016    Dyna:     71500290   SWITCH CAP, set/resume, with clip
2016    Softail:   71500290   SWITCH CAP, set/resume

2019    Touring:  71500044   SWITCH CAP, cruise
2019    Softail:    71500290   SWITCH CAP, set/resume

FSG

if we blow up the orig pic what is that point of silver we see ?

FSG

Ohio HD

Quote from: FSG on July 09, 2024, 07:46:05 PMif we take a look at Bunbury HD way over in Western Australia there's nil before 2016

an example

https://www.bunburyhdparts.com.au/partFinder/fiche/harley-davidson/2016/pro-street-breakout/switches-handlebar-left#partid-13307192

I've been using the Aussie HD parts lookup at Bunbury, I like their format better, list older bikes, and they sometimes have pics. A Google search sent me there a few months ago.

https://www.bunburyktm.com.au/partFinder/fiche/harley-davidson#next

FSG

well I did find this and you can see the clip in the bag

FSG

July 09, 2024, 08:11:41 PM #19 Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 09:21:48 PM by FSG
Jim .... apologies if I'd looked a few days earlier it may have saved you a lot of grief  :emsad:

Jim Bronson

Quote from: FSG on July 09, 2024, 07:42:22 PMif we blow up the orig pic what is that point of silver we see ?

Maybe one end of the retainer clip?

FSG

Jim Bronson

Quote from: FSG on July 09, 2024, 08:11:41 PMJim .... apologies if I'd looked a few days earlier it may have saved you a lot of grief  :emsad:
No sweat. I feel a bit embarrassed that I didn't figure it out on my own. Live and learn.

kd

Quote from: Jim Bronson on July 10, 2024, 08:33:11 AM
Quote from: FSG on July 09, 2024, 08:11:41 PMJim .... apologies if I'd looked a few days earlier it may have saved you a lot of grief  :emsad:
No sweat. I feel a bit embarrassed that I didn't figure it out on my own. Live and learn.

The big picture is you should be thanked for sharing this experience honestly.  Some wouldn't want anyone to know. It's threads like this that give such good value to HTT members.  You Jim, (as a sight supporter also) are setting a great example for others.  I know when it's my turn to do this job on one of my bikes I will be thankful for your honesty.  :beer:
KD

Jim Bronson

Road-dawgs1 was kind enough to send me the removal tool, so congrats to him.  :up: