September 20, 2024, 10:41:14 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Trans whine when downshifting to 1st

Started by Nebraskarider1, July 02, 2024, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraskarider1

Got a new to me 2012 Limited today with 16K in it and I notice when I come to a stop sign and am moving pretty slow and start downshifting when I get to first gear while still rolling  but pretty slow I get a whine, is this anything I should be concerned about? It only does it when I hit first and it's like a slowing down of the gears meshing, when I become stopped it is gone.

Hossamania

Normal. Nothing to worry about.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

Doublecheck the tranny oil of course, just to make sure it has some. Otherwise, the whining is normal.

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: Hossamania on July 02, 2024, 05:15:15 PMDoublecheck the tranny oil of course, just to make sure it has some. Otherwise, the whining is normal.

For sure will be doing that

calif phil

Put some Spectro or Bel Ray in the trans, could have Syn3 in there if it was dealer serviced.

Rusticwater

And get a copy of Service Bulletin M1296A "TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT CHECKING AND FILLING PROCEDURES", which applies to 2007-2013 Touring models (and others). The information in the factory service manual for those years has been superseded by the service bulletin.
Support the Maine lobster industry

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: Rusticwater on July 03, 2024, 06:48:17 AMAnd get a copy of Service Bulletin M1296A "TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT CHECKING AND FILLING PROCEDURES", which applies to 2007-2013 Touring models (and others). The information in the factory service manual for those years has been superseded by the service bulletin.

Update: After checking it and getting nothing on the dipstick, I decided I better drain it and see what I have, fortunately there was no metal in it so I filled it with a quart of 75-140 gear oil. Previous owner said he just had a 3 hole oil change done and I rode it home 100 miles so I thought I better drain and look at the oil. I assume he had it done at local dealer as he said it had Harley fluids in it. I can still hear the whine but it is way less noticable and I probably wouldn't even hear it if I wasn't "listening for it" I do have that service bulletin since I have an 09 and an 11 and that's I filled it according to it, resting on threads on jiffy stand. Thanks to all for the replies. No it's time for clutch adjustment, LOL

Hossamania

One change I've made on my '12 is to only use one quart of oil in the primary, rather than the 1.4 quarts recommended, it seems to shift better, clutch has less drag, especially when cold.

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: Hossamania on July 04, 2024, 09:00:09 AMOne change I've made on my '12 is to only use one quart of oil in the primary, rather than the 1.4 quarts recommended, it seems to shift better, clutch has less drag, especially when cold.

Pretty much what I do too, I got that picture somewhere and anything over a quart puts it up too high on the clutch pack. I remember they had a wet and dry capacity meaning if the primary was open and lacking all oil, since they don't drain everything out the plug

smoserx1

Looking at a parts diagram seems to show 1st gear as straight cut & the rest helical.  Don't straight cut gears whine more?

Rusticwater

Typically yes, that's one of the reasons why the MOCO changed the 5th gear from spur to helical in the 6 speeds in 2010.

My Dyna tranny has always whined when I downshift to first gear, it's better than an indicator light.
Support the Maine lobster industry

Nebraskarider1

July 06, 2024, 07:04:15 AM #11 Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 10:08:53 AM by FSG
Quote from: smoserx1 on July 06, 2024, 05:02:49 AMLooking at a parts diagram seems to show 1st gear as straight cut & the rest helical.  Don't straight cut gears whine more?

Quote from: Nebraskarider1 on July 04, 2024, 08:24:25 AM
Quote from: Rusticwater on July 03, 2024, 06:48:17 AMAnd get a copy of Service Bulletin M1296A "TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT CHECKING AND FILLING PROCEDURES", which applies to 2007-2013 Touring models (and others). The information in the factory service manual for those years has been superseded by the service bulletin.

Update: After checking it and getting nothing on the dipstick, I decided I better drain it and see what I have, fortunately there was no metal in it so I filled it with a quart of 75-140 gear oil. Previous owner said he just had a 3 hole oil change done and I rode it home 100 miles so I thought I better drain and look at the oil. I assume he had it done at local dealer as he said it had Harley fluids in it. I can still hear the whine but it is way less noticable and I probably wouldn't even hear it if I wasn't "listening for it" I do have that service bulletin since I have an 09 and an 11 and that's I filled it according to it, resting on threads on jiffy stand. Thanks to all for the replies. No it's time for clutch adjustment, LOL

It is barely noticeable now that is has the correct amount of oil in it