News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Main Menu

compensator

Started by roadkingdresser, August 29, 2024, 08:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Picked up this 1967 flh and been going over it.changed all the fluids and been changing a few things. have had it started few times and it sounds to me that the compensator is a little noisy,haven't taken the outer primary off yet but I did adjust the chain. just wondering what year Comp will fit this.
roadkingdresser

kd

Quote from: roadkingdresser on August 29, 2024, 08:35:33 AMPicked up this 1967 flh and been going over it.changed all the fluids and been changing a few things. have had it started few times and it sounds to me that the compensator is a little noisy,haven't taken the outer primary off yet but I did adjust the chain. just wondering what year Comp will fit this.

IIRC 1955 to 1969.  The 1970 was the intro of the alternator engine with the longer main-shaft and I believe different spline.
KD

Ohio HD

I looked them up, they show part number 40270-65A all the way to 1983. It's the bell shaped compensator. But in the early Shovel parts books they show both the bell shaped and the old style exposed coil spring unit. So I assume they interchange but not certain. My Pan Head had the old exposed coil spring style.

Ohio HD

This an old OEM unit. I imagine aftermarket has them.

roadkingdresser

I have one of those old OEM ,but i'm not sure what year it is. which one is the better of the two?
roadkingdresser

JSD

The original is the one with big spring. I have a 68 stroker hot rod. The comp looks weak for what I want. So I got a HD non comp . Also Evolution industry make them . I have the Tiawan as well but they all seem loose on motor sprocket. An old wrench said get HD . If fitting the later cone motor comp you will need to run the 70 up outer primary cover. I wanted to run the 65/69 as I like it. Hope this helps 

roadkingdresser

Well I was right the comp was the problem,also who ever put it together didn't know what they was doing. Put the one I had on and sounds a lot better. And someone had already change the outer primary,so everything I had went right in. The one I took out had the big spring.Thanks for the input! :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:
roadkingdresser