Venting a Cal Products inner primary

Started by Chippitt68, July 03, 2024, 03:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippitt68

I run a sealed primary on my 1982 flh. I was able to get a brand new old stock inner from Cal Products. It didn't have the oiler like the old primary. I need to vent it, it does have holes that don't go all the way through the case. I believe they are there if it was decided to run the factory set up.
Bulkhead fitting? Recommended size?

You cannot view this attachment.

98s1lightning

I had one brand inner that needed venting with some lead 😐, 

but it wasn't CAL PRODUCT so you got a chance that fits

76shuvlinoff

On my Cal Products inner I used the spot for chain oiling line.  It's been so long I can't remember if I had to drill and tap it or not but I think I did. (it's been about 25 years)  I ran a piece of tubing from there up and over the transmission to atmosphere, you could also run it up the seat post under the seat. It does not have to be a large diameter line. As I recall the trans shaft support bearing fit a little more loose than I thought it should so I used the green locktite for bearings and sleeves on it.

It's a nice heavy duty piece. You can feel the difference just picking it up.  :up: 

edit to add. The Cal Products inner has thicker than stock bosses at the mounting holes.   Run a bottoming tap into the mounting holes on the engine case and get new longer bolts for that, don't let them bottom out though.  I used socket-head cap screws and drilled them for safety wire. I used nylocs on the transmission studs.  It has all held together for a very long time.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Chippitt68

Thanks. It's not drilled. I'll need to drill and tap I'll get a bulkhead fitting and a 1/4 hose.
You have trouble fitting yours?

Chippitt68

Quote from: 98s1lightning on July 06, 2024, 03:43:45 PMI had one brand inner that needed venting with some lead 😐,

but it wasn't CAL PRODUCT so you got a chance that fits
I was glad that I was able to get a new unused Cal Products inner. Disappoint that it didn't fit like oem.

JSD

If using oem you can press out the chain oiler from primary and direct it to the position that suits to where you want to run the hose 

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Chippitt68 on July 07, 2024, 10:47:42 AMThanks. It's not drilled. I'll need to drill and tap I'll get a bulkhead fitting and a 1/4 hose.
You have trouble fitting yours?

I don't recall any fitting issues.

I drilled and tapped 1/8" NPT and threaded a small hose barb in it. Nothing to come off on the inside.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Chippitt68

76shuvlinoff

I get the reasoning but I've always wondered if venting the primary was really necessary.  Do the starter and solenoid seal that well? The seal at the clutch push rod? I guess we have to assume they are all airtight.  It can't hurt.

Sorry, still on my first coffee.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JSD

They were designed for no leak and manuals and manuals say check with vacuum gauge for leaks. 

FSG

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on July 12, 2024, 03:04:42 AMSorry, still on my first coffee.

that's alright .......  time for another   :SM:   

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: JSD on July 12, 2024, 05:22:09 PMThey were designed for no leak and manuals and manuals say check with vacuum gauge for leaks.

I know but I've never understood why it matters that much. On the stock system if the level of oil gets above the return line and the line is in good shape, isn't it going to scavenge that oil regardless if the complete case can hold a vacuum or not?  Not arguing just mumbling out loud.

Sorry for the thread drift.   
 - Ernest Hemingway

bump

I have a belt drive in 78 shovel, stock primary cover. removed oil lines from inner cover, didn't vent cover. Been running this setup for 40 years and only went through 4 or 5 belts.

Reddog74usa

I used that drill mark as a guide and drilled a hole matching the one on the OEM inner and installed the original oil feed fitting pointing up with a length of vacuum line routed over the top of the trans for a vent on my Cal Custom inner.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Chippitt68

JSD

Tatro Utube does the same as Reddoog