September 20, 2024, 08:16:43 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What is the weakest link ?

Started by FSG, July 13, 2024, 12:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

OK, I want to get from A to B, an undetermined distance, could be 1" out to 100,000 miles, in the shortest amount of time, unlimited funds ($$$$$$) are available to address any perceived problems so where is the weakest link that would in time bring this bike to a standstill ?

e.g.Fuel Pump failure ......  No problem, have unlimited fuel in the tank AND the biggest baddest pump on the planet, no failures reported from here to the moon and back .....   :SM:

what your thoughts and remedies ?

fbn ent

Assuming it's not you, the nut that holds the handlebars.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

kd

July 13, 2024, 02:52:07 PM #2 Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 03:06:57 PM by kd
 :scratch:  It has to be a "wear" item. There's no control over them.  Eventually a wear item will reach its limit.  I'm thinking a good running bike will wear out a rear tire first.   :nix:   

The remedy is to monitor the wear and before it gets too dangerous, call ahead and book a tire change at a shop during you next meal break.  This way you technically  remedy it before it occurs and avoid bringing the bike to an unscheduled standstill.
KD

Rockout Rocker Products

A Harley dealer seeing that you have unlimited funds.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

lonewolf

pauly

Tacocaster

Yeah, since you haven't specified year, make or model or even OEM, I'd have to go with KD on this one assuming it's an HD. A wear item for sure.

Interesting question though, FSG.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Hossamania

I agree that the rider is the weakest link. The remedy is to be healthy and pay attention to what's happening with their body and brain.
As far as catastrophic failure, I wouldn't really expect one.

100,000 miles in 100 days
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JLockhart29

Tires then Battery and or starting system. What's the two most common things that leave ya on the side of the road....flat tire or the damn thing want start.

guido4198

JSD

turboprop

Has to be the TC/M8 lifters. Definitely the lifters. Lets discuss in depth. Hahahaha
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.