September 20, 2024, 08:22:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SE 135 Owners

Started by WhipLash96, July 14, 2024, 09:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

I just bought a 2024 FLTRX. Like most of us here, I can't leave things alone. I am wondering what those who have the SE 135 in their bike think of it? From the little bit of research that I have done about it, I am not all that impressed with the cam that they are using in it from the factory. Other than the cam, how do you like it? Did it meet, exceed or disappoint your expectations?

I'm not interested in hearing about the different options that are available. This bike is under warranty for a long time. My intention to keep this bike as reliable as possible.  :pop:
Thanks,<br />Whip

Hossamania

As you know, if you want to keep it as reliable as possible, don't touch it!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Hossamania on July 15, 2024, 04:53:46 AMAs you know, if you want to keep it as reliable as possible, don't touch it!
Right. But I can't leave the bike completely stock for long. I'm not looking or expecting 160/160.😎
Thanks,<br />Whip

hrdtail78

Rode customers.  Great streetable power.  130/140 is the best HD numbers to date.

This is how I explained to my customer and the reason I recommended that he leave it alone and enjoy the thing for at least now.

The rest of the bike will take the power.  Billet outer and ramp is still suggested but clutch will hold power with springs and shims if needed.  No reason to upgrade plates or inner hub.

You keep the warranty. 

Most important.  There isn't a good tuning solution anyway.  I can get 200 out of the thing.  What does it matter if I can't tune it?
Semper Fi

Deye76

" I can get 200 out of the thing.  What does it matter if I can't tune it?"

Or the fact that the trans can't stand up to it.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

WhipLash96

Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 15, 2024, 08:26:53 AMRode customers.  Great streetable power.  130/140 is the best HD numbers to date.

This is how I explained to my customer and the reason I recommended that he leave it alone and enjoy the thing for at least now.

The rest of the bike will take the power.  Billet outer and ramp is still suggested but clutch will hold power with springs and shims if needed.  No reason to upgrade plates or inner hub.

You keep the warranty. 

Most important.  There isn't a good tuning solution anyway.  I can get 200 out of the thing.  What does it matter if I can't tune it?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by your last paragraph?
Thanks,<br />Whip

Hossamania

If you tune it, you lose warranty

cheech

Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 15, 2024, 07:01:13 PMI'm not sure I understand what you mean by your last paragraph?
Quote from: Hossamania on July 15, 2024, 07:13:22 PMIf you tune it, you lose warranty

I think the 2024 ECM they haven't "broken into" yet is what he means.

WhipLash96

Quote from: cheech on July 15, 2024, 07:33:13 PM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 15, 2024, 07:01:13 PMI'm not sure I understand what you mean by your last paragraph?
Quote from: Hossamania on July 15, 2024, 07:13:22 PMIf you tune it, you lose warranty

This is correct.
Thanks,<br />Whip

WhipLash96

I have read and heard that TTS and Dynojet are close to a release already. But who knows really except for them. :nix:
Thanks,<br />Whip

HogMike

Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 14, 2024, 09:33:29 PMI just bought a 2024 FLTRX. Like most of us here, I can't leave things alone. I am wondering what those who have the SE 135 in their bike think of it? From the little bit of research that I have done about it, I am not all that impressed with the cam that they are using in it from the factory. Other than the cam, how do you like it? Did it meet, exceed or disappoint your expectations?

I'm not interested in hearing about the different options that are available. This bike is under warranty for a long time. My intention to keep this bike as reliable as possible.  :pop:

When I bought my 2019 cvo (117 engine) I thought about the 135 upgrade at the time to keep my warranty. That upgrade was not available in CA. I would have to have it done in AZ.
Unfortunately for me I had the tts tuner on it right away with an exhaust system change and the dealership plugged the bike in when it was in for a saddlebag lock fix. I had asked the SM (who I knew) not to hook it up because of that tuner. Evidently the message never got back to the mechanic. Warranty went away.
I still wanted the numbers the 135 was capable of and talked to a couple of friends in the business.
Built my own with help from Suburban HD and a few others. I'm in the ballpark with the 135 and the new 121 ST as far as TQ and HP and no warranty!
I've had to upgrade the transmission and driveline but it was worth it to me.
I got in way less money than the dealer (AZ) upgrade, little more power, cruise at 85-90 at 3000 rpm, decent gas mileage (low to mid 40's)

Just finished the 90K service (70K on the motor). This is still on the STOCK bottom end. This is probably the best motor I've had over the years, I like riding it more than the S&S evo, different power curve, I guess!

The 135 crate engines seem to be so-so reliable on higher mileage bike, maybe? Not a lot of feedback I've seen.

This was in 2019 and now, Harley really stepped up their game. You can now buy the TQ and HP today like what I have had since 2019!

JMHO, of course! :potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

July 16, 2024, 04:57:23 AM #11 Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 05:07:11 AM by Hossamania

That is also true. But if performance, reliability, and warranty is the goal, it can't be tuned even when they do get it sorted.
Not to say a 135 wouldn't be a fun modification, I'm all for more power!

WhipLash96

Quote from: HogMike on July 16, 2024, 04:34:46 AM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 14, 2024, 09:33:29 PMI just bought a 2024 FLTRX. Like most of us here, I can't leave things alone. I am wondering what those who have the SE 135 in their bike think of it? From the little bit of research that I have done about it, I am not all that impressed with the cam that they are using in it from the factory. Other than the cam, how do you like it? Did it meet, exceed or disappoint your expectations?

When I bought my 2019 cvo (117 engine) I thought about the 135 upgrade at the time to keep my warranty. That upgrade was not available in CA. I would have to have it done in AZ.
Unfortunately for me I had the tts tuner on it right away with an exhaust system change and the dealership plugged the bike in when it was in for a saddlebag lock fix. I had asked the SM (who I knew) not to hook it up because of that tuner. Evidently the message never got back to the mechanic. Warranty went away.
I still wanted the numbers the 135 was capable of and talked to a couple of friends in the business.
Built my own with help from Suburban HD and a few others. I'm in the ballpark with the 135 and the new 121 ST as far as TQ and HP and no warranty!
I got in way less money than the dealer (AZ) upgrade, little more power, cruise at 85-90 at 3000 rpm, decent gas mileage (low to mid 40's)

Just finished the 90K service (70K on the motor). This is still on the STOCK bottom end. This is probably the best motor I've had over the years, I like riding it more than the S&S evo, different power curve, I guess!

The 135 crate engines seem to be so-so reliable on higher mileage bike, maybe? Not a lot of feedback I've seen.

This was in 2019 and now, Harley really stepped up their game. You can now buy the TQ and HP today like what I have had since 2019!

My intention for this bike is to return to long distance riding. However, although the power that the stock 117 has isn't bad at all, I still need more grunt. As of now, I have the SE Tuner already installed.

I'm assuming that the cam that came in your 135 was the SE8 517? Or?? I got the cam specs for the SE8 cams and now I wish I didn't look.😂 If you do have the SE8 517, what are your thoughts of it? The stock cam now in the 135 is the SE8 550 which isn't for me.

Why did you have to beef the transmission?
Thanks,<br />Whip

WhipLash96

Quote from: Hossamania on July 16, 2024, 04:57:23 AM

That is also true. But if performance, reliability, and warranty is the goal, it can't be tuned even when they do get it sorted.
The cool thing is that I can cancel my ESP at anytime and get reimbursed (prorated) and then (tune it). If I do it now, I'll live without being able to fine tune it until then.
Thanks,<br />Whip

Hossamania

lonewolf

With lack of tuning options does this mean it's VVT? Don't see that mentioned.

rigidthumper

The 135 is not VVT. You can make the CVO 121VVT into a 135 by dropping on the 4.312 pistons and cylinders from the 135, but there isn't a current base tune for that combo in the SE tuner.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hrdtail78

There isn't a product on the market that will let you do the  things that need to be done to compliment the engine modifications in the hunt for more power.
Semper Fi

HogMike

Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 16, 2024, 05:04:23 AM

My intention for this bike is to return to long distance riding. However, although the power that the stock 117 has isn't bad at all, I still need more grunt. As of now, I have the SE Tuner already installed.

I'm assuming that the cam that came in your 135 was the SE8 517? Or?? I got the cam specs for the SE8 cams and now I wish I didn't look.😂 If you do have the SE8 517, what are your thoughts of it? The stock cam now in the 135 is the SE8 550 which isn't for me.

This is my long distance bike. My OEM transmission died a slow death due to the oil transfer issue early on. When the motor was "enhanced" after 2 years and the added power PLUS running the stock transmission VERY low on oil, 3rd gear and shifter forks gave up. Remember, my warranty was cancelled earlier. Baker was the answer with the overdrive.
My cam is now the TTS200, the TTS250 was a little overkill for this bike.
This is a 950+lb bike but is now very smooth throughout the rev range. I can run regular gas if needed, zero issues after mucho tuning time (again TTS). Passing power is there without downshifting. Only taking me 5 years to get what I need and want! LOL
😂
HOGMIKE
SoCal

WhipLash96

Quote from: HogMike on July 16, 2024, 09:57:13 AM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 16, 2024, 05:04:23 AM

This is my long distance bike. My OEM transmission died a slow death due to the oil transfer issue early on. When the motor was "enhanced" after 2 years and the added power PLUS running the stock transmission VERY low on oil, 3rd gear and shifter forks gave up. Remember, my warranty was cancelled earlier. Baker was the answer with the overdrive.
My cam is now the TTS200, the TTS250 was a little overkill for this bike.
This is a 950+lb bike but is now very smooth throughout the rev range. I can run regular gas if needed, zero issues after mucho tuning time (again TTS). Passing power is there without downshifting. Only taking me 5 years to get what I need and want! LOL
😂

I have been talking with the Master Tech from the dealership from where I bought this bike. He's been telling that the Pro Tuner acts very much like the Target Tune from Power Vision.  He's mentioning going to contsant "closed loop" wide band also.
Thanks,<br />Whip

HogMike

If you have a good relationship with your dealer and they have a good reputation on the service end AND you want to keep your warranty intact let the dealer do it all.
HD has some nice parts and kits in the SE catalog.

In my case, I wanted something a little more custom and I enjoy doing my own work. If there was a mistake made along the way, it's on ME.
Our local dealer charges $130? An hour labor. My total outlay was far less. I don't have the extended warranty but used that money to pay for my build.

Just me, but I'm happy.

Bottom line...be happy with your decision and it's good to do your research. Part of the fun with these builds.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

What is your #1 goal?
More power? (And how much?)
Reliability?
Warranty?

Next, what is your budget?

hrdtail78

Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 17, 2024, 04:34:02 AMI have been talking with the Master Tech from the dealership from where I bought this bike. He's been telling that the Pro Tuner acts very much like the Target Tune from Power Vision.  He's mentioning going to contsant "closed loop" wide band also.

I agree.  It does what TT from PV does.  But that is straw man salesmanship. I would be more concerned about the adjustments it allows to target, ignition timing, PE, and throttle blade control.

You can't take advantage of a cam that will add 30 hp if you can't keep 100 kpa at WOT.  If there isn't a way to keep the throttle blade open or it from pulling ignition timing.  I don't see the benefit in trimming fuel with a LSU over stock. 
Semper Fi

lonewolf

Quote from: WhipLash96 on July 17, 2024, 04:34:02 AMI have been talking with the Master Tech from the dealership from where I bought this bike. He's been telling that the Pro Tuner acts very much like the Target Tune from Power Vision.  He's mentioning going to contsant "closed loop" wide band also.

Yes, but they don't work as some advertise. Biggest downfall is there is no adaptive fuel with the broadbands. Sometimes you don't wanna run "closed loop" everywhere.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Hossamania on July 17, 2024, 07:03:14 AMWhat is your #1 goal?
More power? (And how much?)
Reliability?
Warranty?

Next, what is your budget?
All of what you mentioned is accomplished with this engine. It'll be more powerful, It'll be reliable and if it isn't, it's the MOCO's problem because it's under warranty. Budget? I guess for me I care very little about that when it comes to "getting it right" for my needs. Harley has stepped their game up considerably. Check out this video.

https://youtu.be/3Zj4vrUMO7o?si=5HsRWl3LEnwjP5Hp
Thanks,<br />Whip

scott7d

My 2020 CVO Road Glide 117" has 180,000 miles and has been a stage II since nearly the beginning. Having owned builds from stage I all the way up through full blueprinted motors, stage II has been my favorite when it comes to power yield vs money spent and dependability. I learned the hard way that between high mileage dependability and the quest for power, you have to make a sacrifice somewhere. I haven't had any major issues even with what most would consider a negligent maintenance schedule. Just wanted to offer another perspective since you mentioned dependability and long distance riding.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

WhipLash96

Quote from: scott7d on July 24, 2024, 12:29:22 AMMy 2020 CVO Road Glide 117" has 180,000 miles and has been a stage II since nearly the beginning. Having owned builds from stage I all the way up through full blueprinted motors, stage II has been my favorite when it comes to power yield vs money spent and dependability. I learned the hard way that between high mileage dependability and the quest for power, you have to make a sacrifice somewhere. I haven't had any major issues even with what most would consider a negligent maintenance schedule. Just wanted to offer another perspective since you mentioned dependability and long distance riding.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

You raise a lot of good points. I am considering going to Stage 2 only as well.  However, if that's the route I go, I may add the SE head pipe and the better tuner with the stage 2.
Thanks,<br />Whip