September 20, 2024, 08:18:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Speed Sensor

Started by Garagerat, September 17, 2024, 04:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garagerat

I posted this same question on another HD forum and have not received a response. I am hoping to get some expert advice from the pros on this site.

The bike I am working on has an 07 6-speed transmission. The bike itself is an 06 Night Train. The wiring harness is an 06 NT. 
Situation: in order for the receptacle at the end of the speed sensor to match up with the wiring harness I'm using an 06 speed sensor (5-speed box).
Question: Will using a 5-speed sensor on a 6-speed trans work? 
Or should I graft the 5-speed receptacle end onto the 07 speed sensor?

Fugawee

First of all...I'm no Expert.
However, looking at HD Parts Manuals the 06' and 07' Speed Sensors are two different Parts Numbers.
The 06' Sensor is #74430-00D.
The 07' Sensor is #74402-05B.
Shooting from the hip here, but something tells Me that the 06' Sensor won't be accurate in the 07' Tranny.
But I could certainly be wrong.
Could be a question answered by an HD Dealer.

Tacocaster

Replacing a 5 with a 6 has been done of course but I couldn't find a quick reference for you through our Search engine. You might try that on your own.

Different part #'s but could you not install the 06 sensor in the 07 Trans? Eliminates cutting any harness and the ECM will need to be "massaged" by HD or - if aftermarket, by you anyway.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Coyote

If it fits, mechanically, it will probably work fine. Certainly won't hurt to try.

Garagerat

I purchased an 06 speed sensor. It fits into the 07 trans just fine.

The difference between the two sensors is on the 06 sensor the part that fits into the transmission (07) is shorter in length than the 07 sensor. The diameter n bolt hole are the same. 

So now I am wondering if the 06 sensor, being shorter, will pick up the signal?

Coyote

The sensor needs to be precisely placed. It might, it might not  work, or it might work but unreliably.  If there is a mechanical difference, I'd put the correct sensor in and adapt the wiring.

rigidthumper

Wire in the six speed sensor, and if the speedo is off, adjust the PPU with your tuner (TTS/PV/DL).
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Garagerat

One way would be to use the correct speed sensor (07) in the trans.

The 06 sensor has three wires, red = power, white = signal, black = ground. 
 Then determine which three prongs coming out of the 07 sensor are red, white, & black. 
Connect the correct color wire to the corresponding prong on the 07 sensor. 

Coyote

Quote from: Garagerat on September 17, 2024, 12:58:53 PMOne way would be to use the correct speed sensor (07) in the trans.

The 06 sensor has three wires, red = power, white = signal, black = ground.
 Then determine which three prongs coming out of the 07 sensor are red, white, & black.
Connect the correct color wire to the corresponding prong on the 07 sensor.

Two of us have already told you to do that.  :crook:

hrdtail78

The speed sensor pins are not going to be marked.  The delphi connector will be and pins will coordinate. 
Semper Fi