I want to remove my ignition switch without the forks being locked

Started by Molly, Today at 01:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jls 64, harpwrench (+ 2 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Molly

Hi guys.

2013 Street Glide. Doing fork oil. Some demos show the ignition turned to lock whilst the bars are straight but mine won't unless the bars are hard left. Don't want them locked. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. 

Coyote

Is there a reason you can't do it with the switch installed?

hrdtail78

Once I get the inner fairing piece off that the switch needs to be moved out of the way for.  I put the correct spacer stack up back onto the assembly and stick the switch back into place and leave it unlocked.  This keeps it from locking as I am working and it makes sure innards don't come misaligned. 
Semper Fi

Tacocaster

The above from hrdtail is a dammed good suggestion and/or you can also do it by keeping the bars straight. JUST DO NOT turn them as you preform your work.

If you do manage to turn and lock 'em, DON'T PANIC! Millions have done it - and with time and a logical approach you too will have managed to get it right again.

But I'd just do as hrdtail suggests and avoid the issue completely.
Good Luck!!
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Molly

Quote from: hrdtail78 on Today at 01:57:28 PMOnce I get the inner fairing piece off that the switch needs to be moved out of the way for.  I put the correct spacer stack up back onto the assembly and stick the switch back into place and leave it unlocked.  This keeps it from locking as I am working and it makes sure innards don't come misaligned. 

This is a great suggestion. Thanks.