News:

Main Menu

JIMS 25mm Bearing Installer Advice

Started by Rusticwater, October 17, 2024, 02:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticwater

I have to install new wheel bearings on my 2010 FXDC and obtained a JIMS 1042-9 25mm installer. The installer is missing the "raised lip" around the outer edge. I was under the impression that the raised lip is necessary to ensure that when the new bearing is pushed in, the installer surface only contacts the outer race to avoid any pressure/damage on the inner bearing hub. If you Google "Jims 1042-9" you'll see this lip.

I contacted JIMS and asked them about the missing lip, they said this was a "new" design. No raised lip, the surface that presses against the bearing is completely flat...

I want to reach out and ask those of you with wheel bearing installation experience your thoughts on this, everything I've always read indicated a raised lip was needed.

FWIW I already have the Pit Posse VT102 bearing tool kit. It's 25mm installer has the raised lip.

Support the Maine lobster industry

Coyote

A flat surface if fine. It won't hurt the inner race.

Rusticwater

Keith thanks for the quick response. My old bearings (Timken/Fafnir 205PP) only lasted ~13k miles. I probably installed them wrong, this time around I wanted to make sure I had a better tool than the Pit Posse.

Mike

Ohio HD

Where the flanged ring can get you in trouble is when pressing the 2nd bearing in. That ring presses on the outer race, but the bearing inner race makes contact with the bearing spacer sleeve. Too much force and you can damage the bearing.

Coyote

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 17, 2024, 02:25:14 PMWhere the flanged ring can get you in trouble is when pressing the 2nd bearing in. That ring presses on the outer race, but the bearing inner race makes contact with the bearing spacer sleeve. Too much force and you can damage the bearing.

True. You're actually safer with a flat surface so you can feel the second bearing seat. The ones I use are flat.

Rusticwater

Brian and Keith thanks for the explanation. This time I'm trying different bearings, Timken 6205-2RSC3.