May 09, 2024, 05:05:06 AM

News:

Need exhaust

Started by dablaze, April 22, 2009, 08:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablaze

April 22, 2009, 08:49:46 AM Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:57:23 AM by dablaze
I want to have a 2 into one exhaust pipe made for my '48 bobber. I plan on running a muffler on it, so I only need it to run to a few inches behind the rear section where the pipes would join. I want it to sit high, pretty much where the rear pipe on a set of shotguns would fit. I know this makes for some tough angles at the exhaust spigots. I was thinking a 2 piece affair where it connects similar to a stock set up at the bottom of the rear pipe. It is for a bobber, no chrome needed, does not have to be pretty, but trick is cool.

Now here's the question...anyone know of a good exhaust guy that would weld it up for me? I was thinking it would be really cool if there was someone from HTT that would do it.

Craig

Second Shift Cycle

Pynzo

April 22, 2009, 09:05:31 AM #1 Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:08:15 AM by Pynzo
Both Paughco ($230 for Pan Kit) and Biltell Inc.($165 for base kit) sell build your own pipe kits. If you want something less complicated, try your local Meineke Muffler. I used to work at one years ago, and we could make up any kind of exhaust system imaginable, with 1-3/4" up to 2-1/2" pipe available in aluminized or plain steel. They'll have a good welder setup to, and you'll probably want some custom pipe mounts welded to your frame.

Little Al

I agree with Pynzo. I've had plenty of custom pipes made damn cheap over the years from a local muffler shop (not one of the chains, but same thing). good quality pipe, neat welds, smooth bends. as long as you don't want chrome it's an excellent choice to get exactly what you want at a good price. A good place can make just about anything you envision
Little Al

Pynzo

I've got an XLCH parts catalog pic of the kind of setup you're looking for, I've seen it on a '62 sporty and it was really nice. One drawback to that setup was that you had to have at least one if not both heads off the motor to install the Y pipe. Just something for you to consider-

CO-retired

I make up my own pipes.I'm always scoutin around for old pipes mainly for the flanges, The muffler shops,while they do nice work and get the angles where ya want em,they put bends in the pipes because of the equipment they use..........nothin wrong with that but if you can keep the same bends that a collection of old pipes allow,all the better.
When I knock out a set of pipes,I usually tig weld them together then I either wrap them with that asbestos type 1" wrap or I paint them either heat(1500Degree)resistance black or silver.

stroker800

When I built my pipes for the pan I ordered the "U" and "J" bends fron Jegs,,,next time I will use Biltrite stuff. They will send 3 types of flanges with there kits..I,ve seen pipes from muffler shops,,,not for me...They had "ribs" in the bends and I doutb they will have a Tig wlder on site....Off topic,,,have you run a SU hung out in the wind before???..I ran the same set up for awhile,,,,loss bottom end pull,,but gain top end,,,good for drag racing...Also had to install a fitting into manifold and hook up snowmobile type primer for starting...I had to run the drop manifolt to clear tanks...PITA....Made adjustments ,,now back to regular manifold,,,tell me how you like carb set up...Cool lookin ride!!!
Dave

dablaze

Hey Dave,

Never ran an SU before, new to them. I have a few carb possibilities for it...but just liked the look.

Was at the local hang out and my old boss was there as was a guy who owed him money...they scuffled and a knife got pulled, according to my wife I was stupid, got in the middle and stopped it but took a little cut in the meantime. Shop owner rewarded me with the biltrite kit.

Now I just need to find a guy about to get beat up who has an extra Tig welder, lol! (no, no...I would end up divorced)

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

stroker800

dablaze,,,I'm bout 4 1/2 east of you ,,just off the 401...I do travel to see friends and family,,,maybe a few beers and a steak we could weld up your pipes...I'll be a little rusty,,haven't used the tig in a little while...Its not a great machine, but seem to work,,,not what we had at the shop ...as far as the SU,,,I believe they are the best carb out there..I have installed quite a few and find them easy too tune and set up,,,If you need info on them I have the paper work...
Dave

dablaze

Hey Dave,

I am guessing K-town or Gan? Maybe even Brock-vegas? Used to ride around there on occasion as I relocated down here from Ottawa about ten years ago...You going to Rosies? Its been a few years for me, but I been looking to maybe do it again soon.

Steaks and beer! Could never refuse that!

We will see about where I am going with the exhaust...might take you up on it.

Any time your up...send me an email!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

stroker800

little farther east,,,bout 25 mins west of Cornwall,,(Ingleside),,I haven't been to Rosie's or the cow patty for a few years...Should go to both this year,,,like ya say maybe get together at a ride and have a few pints,,
Dave

dablaze

The Cow Patty Party was the best...Used to go there every year with Doug from Freedom, Vern Acres and a few guys from Down there. That was a good party!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

stroker800

I haven't seen Vern this year yet,,,last time we left his place caught in a helluva down pour....Sounds like we know few of the same people....his the cow patty this year and we,ll have a few...
Dave

dablaze

Well Dave...the wife just agreed to go to Rosies...lots of riding, we will actually be heading back from our Milwaukee ride, one nights rest at home then straight to Rosies.

Mr. Wilker...if you still read these posts...I hope I can convince you to head to Rosies! Would be a blast!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle