May 09, 2024, 06:11:54 AM

News:

Broken fairing mount bracket...?

Started by tireater, June 25, 2009, 02:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

I have an 05 FLHT...Are these known for breaking the fairing brackets?
I have a noise at certain rpm's that goes away when I put my hand on the left lower wind deflector...?
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Skin

That's been a problem for Harley since '96. Just a few months ago they finally came out with all four brackets redesigned and reinforced in the place they always break. They retail from Harley for about $45 for the main bracket and about $10 for the other bracket.

surf

I've broken 3 out of 4 on my '05. Fixed them with small angle brackets. Helped a friend change the small ones that go towards the speaker, they were under $10.00 ea. and did look a little stronger. Easier to fix the main brackets than replacing them.

tireater

CndUltra88

Skin, do you have the parts numbers for these new brackets?
I know of guys on here who have made their own stock brackets or even fabricated a new and improved by them as well.
I have modified my speaker brackets that guys who's name escape me now  and shared the teck. on how to fix them, I still have one of the main brackets that is fixed and holding together now for several thousand miles , so the new brackets would be interesting to see and/or use.
Now its time to search my pic. files for the mods done to refresh our gray matter.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

truck

Note the cracks in the plastic where the allen screw goes into.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

PosseRider

One of the members on here makes the smaller ones out of SS. I have had them on for over 30,000 miles now. He usually has them in the swap section.
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

Skin

58478-96b
58479-96b
58938-96c
58939-96c
If you call Jenni at Tri-County HD,She'll get you 20% off
1-513-874-4343

chaos901

I just had the change the bracket and strut on one side of my '07 Ultra.  The new "B" model bracket is reinforced at the previous weak points. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

GaryD

Had my 03 Ultra in to have the radio installed. Asked the service manager what brackets are they talking about that are always breaking. When he pointed them out, we found out all of them were broke. Thankfully I still have time on my ESP that will cover the repair. :up:
Does anyone know if they will replace with the same type brackets or will they replace with the new upgraded brackets?
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

2003flht

i would make a request to the Service Manager to replace them with the upgraded brackets. 

I will in short time, have more brackets made that are stronger than the stockers again.  I found a company that wiil waterjet these for me from 304 Stainless.  I'll post as soon as i have them ready...
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

tireater

I'll pull the fairing this morning and see if I need them...I like your solution... :up:

GaryD

Service manager said they are the B and C versions, so it looks like the new ones. Some are saying even those are not that great either.
AMA Life Mbr.

2003flht

anyone have experiences with the new style brackets breaking?
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

road-dawgs1

'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

eglideic

July 08, 2009, 07:32:56 PM #15 Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 07:37:48 PM by eglideic
 In the J&P catalog there is a fix for the large black brackets. J&P part number 217-490. It uses a rubber shock mount and a stailess angled bracket. I talked to the guy that makes them at the J&P open house. He gave a good sales pitch. Just installed a pair on mine. We'll see. OH yeah $35. a piece, so you'll need two of them.

road-dawgs1

Quote from: eglideic on July 08, 2009, 07:32:56 PM
In the J&P catalog there is a fix for the large black brackets. J&P part number 217-490. It uses a rubber shock mount and a stailess angled bracket. I talked to the guy that makes them at the J&P open house. He gave a good sales pitch. Just installed a pair on mine. We'll see. OH yeah $35. a piece, so you'll need two of them.

$29.95 for THESE
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

eglideic

Well THESE don't have the rubber shock mounts do they?

Rags722

The kit comes with anti-vibration mount.

Sure looks to me like a vibration mount in the photo

2003flht

THESE rubber "shocks" are probably $4.95 from McMaster-Carr......
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

2003flht

July 09, 2009, 04:39:09 AM #20 Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:46:57 AM by 2003flht
actually,  their about $1.60 each from McMaster Carr.  

I may pick up a couple and add them to mine....

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

Ed Y

I would think the ones with the rubber shock mounts would put more strain on the plastic/abs mounting bosses.

2003flht

My ABS tabs have already broken off.  I removed them and drilled thru the fairing and used carriage bolts to re-attach to the brackets.  Painted them flat black to match the fairing.   
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

Phu Cat

Thanks for the heads-up 2003FLHT.  That looks like what I'm going to have to do eventually.  Did you add anything between the bolt and the fairing to act as a cushion to keep the bolt from wearing a bigger hole in the fairing?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

2003flht

July 09, 2009, 07:08:34 AM #24 Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 07:40:55 AM by 2003flht
The only thing in there is a nylon spacer.  After I had removed the ABS posts that cracked and drilled a 1/4" hole thru the fairing, I needed a spacer to make up for the post.  I grabbed some nylon spacers at Tractor Supply.  I believe they were 3/4" long with a 1/4" thru hole.  Then I just put the carriage bolt thru the fairing, then the spacer went on, and the bolt thru the bracket.  Used a Ny-lock nut and washer and tightened her up.  Been that way for over a year.  I havent seen the hole enlarge any, and she is still tight.....

I was thinking about buying some of these vibration isolators and using those instead of the nylon spacers.  Maybe it will absorb some of the vibs.  Then again, maybe not.............  but for a buck sixty a piece, why not try.
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

GaryD

Took bike out for a test ride yesterday after getting all 4 new brackets. At first it didn't seem any different. After a few miles I started to notice no vibs while idleing and when I hit bumps and potholes there's no chattering from the front end. It use to feel and sound like someone hitting the fairing with a hammer when I hit a bump.
I wonder how many people have broken brackets and don't realize it.
ESP took care of it. I know a lot of people don't think the ESP is worth it, but I have saved at least twice the cost of it so far.  :up:
AMA Life Mbr.

jjbojangles

Did any of you guys ntice vibration in the fairing when the bike is at idle or low rpm. Mine seems not bad when I ride it on the highway but if I hit a bump or slow down it sharkes the heck out of the front and rattles. Is this potentially a bracket problem??

GaryD

Sure sounds like it. Heard all kinds of noise when I hit a bump. Mine didn't shake too much. Just noise and vibration.
AMA Life Mbr.

chaos901

I was noticing the fairing shaking while idling before I found out that on one side the bracket and strut were both broken.  I took off the outer fairing to do something with the radio when I found the breaks. 

Now I know what that shaking means. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

GaryD

That's how I found mine, when I took off fairing to replace radio. Otherwise I'd probably still be riding with broken brackets and thinking the bike was just old.
AMA Life Mbr.

jjbojangles

I took it apart last night and the bracket that dgoes tot he speaker was broke right at the torx screw just on one side. I tried to find other breaks but couldn't. Is there any other places I should look? I only took off the outer fairing. I found it hard to beleive that one little bracket was causing all that racket!

GaryD

It's a Harley bracket. It's suppose to sound like  "patato-patato" not a racket.  :hyst:
AMA Life Mbr.

bogiediver

jjbojangles-

Mine was shaking like mad at idle; smoothed out at speed, except there was a RPM related rattle; but made a hell of a noise over medium and larger bumps...

The places to check are where the bolts go into the inner fairing - outboard sides of small brackets under the speakers and the top of the main brackets (where the angle bracket fix is shown in the pictures)

Mine was both main brackets had snapped at the 90* bend.

Will be covered under ESP (GaryD - agree with you whole heartedly), but dealer didn't have brackets in stock and I was going on an weekend ride so I did the angle bracket temp fix.  Shaking and rattle stopped.

-bogie

GaryD

bogie, my dealer didn't have the new brackets in stock either, had to wait 2 weeks. Luckily my vacation wasn't for 4 weeks. You would think that such a common problem they would have these in stock by the hundreds.
AMA Life Mbr.

jjbojangles

Bogie,
Thanks I think i am Ok then thats all the places I checked. Its an easy fix either way so i will try the new on tonight. I just changed my front motor mount so I thought it may have somehting to do with that. They both look good. Thanks again for the inofo and pictures.

hogpipes1

i put up with that where the hell is that noise comming from for a long time , finally tracked it down to the inner speaker brk. it was broke but had dum dum putty on the crack. what really pissed me off  was i  bought  it new in  03 so they had to do this at the factory before shipping. after warrenty so fixed the brk myself , a-ok yet.

bighog

I just took mine apart after noticing the fairing shake a lot more then it did.  both main brackets are broke. right one was replaced 9,000 miles ago. I will not replace it again- going to the hardware store to get a couple repair brackets.  Oh- the right speaker bracket is shot also- guess i will have to replace that one.