April 27, 2024, 08:24:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Big Bore

Started by WideBoy04, November 15, 2008, 06:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frito1

WideBoy
Back when I started reading HTT Sort Block Charlie was the builder of the month.  Based on that, last Fall I bought a set of jugs & SE flat tops, 95" +.005, fresh bored & new pistons.  $198 delivered.  I dropped them on with a set of '06 heads, 800 mile pull offs.  $202 delivered.  Cometic Gaskets (.030) $50 or so.  I already had 21G cams.  It was cheap ~$450.  I'm happy.  It's quite the tractor.  7500 or so miles & no issues.  I'd use SBC again.

s-r-t
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

WideBoy04

Short Block Charlies was my first choice until I ran across the set I got.
Sounds like your set up is kinda like what I'm looking at. When I run across
a set of heads I'll probably switchem out. I talked to my builder and he says
he's seen mid 90's and up torque with my choices. I'm at 88 at 3300 now.
I'll post results in a few weeks when I'm done, dang work gets in the way :crook:.

Jim
Galatians 2:20

Ghost Rider

Nothing wrong with SE cast flattops. They should last 100k or more.

Lovetoride007

Jim
How many miles are on the heads now, If you have them off you may want to have them gone through maybe new seals and ck the guides ,cant see it being to much for a mild street port , It would save you a bunch of money to do it now,
JMHO

Eglider05

Quote from: WideBoy04 on November 18, 2008, 01:58:26 PM
I was looking around a come across the AMS site. Anyone ever
use their 96" kit? How about Short Block Charlies work?

Thanks, Jim

I did a AMS 96"/37g build on my friends 00 RK last spring and he still has a grin on his face. The quality of work and the support is excellent.

Rick

waskier01

warranty-----  My '03 Ultra is still under warranty, so, I have the big bore and am waiting till the warranty expires to do anymore work to it.  Five years now and I still haven't decided what to do to it.

WideBoy04

The heads got a little under 40,000 miles. Short Block Charlie is offering some head work on ebay,
might look into that.

Jim
Galatians 2:20

Twincam-Iron

I've been watching these posts, and the info I have seen is like gold to me.  Been getting much info for my 01 Deuce for future mild engine work on stock engine.. Some of you guys have done exactly what I want to do.
Than Short Block Charlie pops up.  I just talked to Him Monday about rebuilding my Custom sporty Iron heads.
Very nice fellow over the phone with much info and a nice shop with the latest machines.

03deuce

Wideboy,
Check out this webpage.  http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/1550/bbonline.htm
Good info about what's involved in a Big Bore upgrade.

Lovetoride007

With 40,000 mi on those heads I would definatly go through them, before I put them back on,