May 10, 2024, 09:42:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mikuni Jet Problem??

Started by NightTrain, July 24, 2009, 05:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightTrain

ok got a 94 Wide Glide. Runs great from idle to about 3/4 throttle. then starts popping through exhaust. sorta reminds u of coming up agaist a rev limiter.. any idea what may Be causeing that. Main jet?? or another issue.. thank you

Dave*M

Did it do it before?What carb you running?Has the bike sat for a long time?

L-

Plugs and wire are in good shape?

NightTrain

just purchased.. carb just put on prior to purches.. unsure if it did it before.. yes.. new plugs and wires..

Caper

7ender

could be a bad ignition coil ....

NightTrain

yea pardon my ignorance. but would a jet cause the popping.. or are you on the right track with ignition.. runs like a scalded dog up to that point.

speed limit

Bump up main jet one size at a time
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

Kevin

What size main jet is in it?

Look at your plugs before you do any more WOT runs
107" by Hyperformance
R&R St. 5 heads
R&R 615's & cam plate R&R roller rocker

catmcaw

Don't know what Jets you have but I would use 160/22.5 as a baseline to start.

Dave*M

As siad look at what size of main jet you have.If gurgling out the pipes then it is probablly too rich.easy way to tell is get a set of fresh plugs and get onto a straight stretch of highway.Make sure the motor is warmed up.Pull over and put in the new plugs.Get on the highway and in 3rd gear open it right up and hold for aprox. 1 minute.Shut down the engine and pull the clutch in and pull over to the side of the road and remove the plugs.If you can't do that take the bike out on the highway and pin the throttle.Back off the throttle a very small amount,like to 7/8 wide open.Note that when you back off throttle whether motor rpms climb up or drop off.If the rpms climb up then the main is too rich.When the bikes run too lean they pop out the carb.
Hope this helps you figure it out.

NightTrain

thanks all.. ill try that for him.. appreciate all the help!!

mkd

night train! is the 94 wide glide stock or been modified some?i have a mikuni 42 on a stock flsts evo engine with just kereker slip ons and se air cleaner,basically a stage1.my mikuni is set up with a 165 main.17.5 idle jet,50 accelerater pump jet,and a 78 needle in center clip position.this is the modifications that joe minton from american rider recomended in the mikuni mileage kit.the original mikuni came with a 160 main jet,25 idle jet,70 accelerater pump jet,and one richer needle which was a 77 in the center clip position. both set ups worked on my bike but the carb was too rich thus the mileage kit was installed.the kit boosted my mpg from 37-39 to 41-43 and the bike's throttle response is crisper and it pulls stronger.mikuni sets the pump up at .080" before it kicks in and cuts it off at about 2/3 throttle.the mileage kit when i installed it was set up with .004 pump rod clearance and is adjusted to shut off at half throttle.if your carb is new and has never been tampered with i doubt it would be off enough to cause you the problems you are experiencing.i would pull the plugs and see what color they are,they should tell you something. hope this helps.