May 10, 2024, 07:04:44 AM

News:

Riding the Reservations

Started by 86fxwg, July 30, 2009, 01:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

Riding some of the reservtions out west,does it ever make u nervous. I have had some real weird looks from the people on them.They do have there own laws.Maybe im paranoid for nothing.Leaving friday for sturgis and going across  route 18 in south dakota.I was (told) last time he was going to trade me his chevelle with no windows for my harley,he dint ask he told me.At that point it was time to go.
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Hybredhog

Yes, they have their own tribal police, but if you mind your own biz & drive like a WM <G>, you'll be OK. Just don't pick up any dogs, thats dinner, LOL!!
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

02roadcling

Look out for the wild dog packs, at least here in Washington.
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

4DWUDS

To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

L-

You fall down, go down, hit a damn dog or have a wreck with one you are in the toilet. Pueblos, reservations if you will, are sovereign nations.  Check it out.  You really don't belong on that land unless it is time for them to hold and event and welcome you and you pay money. I am surrounded by these folks and just stay way the hell out of their little zones.  I get my traffic tickets and I send the money in and it doesn't go on any record.  Cameras and guns are not welcome as a rule.

L-

Dennis The Menace

hotroadking

That reminds me of a joke.......

86fxwg

Respect, not a problem.Ever try riding thru east st loius? not smart if u know what i mean!
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Dennis The Menace

East St Lo is a far different jungle than the reservations.  And, nope wouldnt go through there if I had to.  There are roads around it.

Biggest worry on the reservations is actually the drunk drivers.  That is the thing to look out for.  Watch your speed and you will be okay.  Reservations I have ridden throughout the west the police will pull ya over for going much over--10 over wont cut it, do the limit.  Otherwise, you should be fine.

menace

inspector

Wonder if the muslums are going to put us on a reservation when they take over

HIPPO

Like the prairie version of the ghetto. Plan your stops to be outside of their jurisdiction or outnumber them and you will be fine.

Tsani

ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

MMOCGuy

I'm with Dennis The Menace.

Respect them as people, respect their way of life and rules - especially their speed limits. Also, understand that there is a very different sense of humor and, while they may sound very menacing and/or unfriendly, usually it is just teasing so bring your sense of humor with you. I have ridden through several reservations including the Navaho Reservation. I have also stopped at shops, restaurants and gas stations as well as stores on reservations both large and small in the West and have never had a problem. As Dennis The Menace said, "Respect".

Hope this helps.

NormS.

Dennis The Menace

I should have disclosed...I am part Cherokee, so a little biased.

Dennis

joelp34252

I got caught doing 90 in a 25 zone on a res.  B'S' ed the tribal policeman for about 15 minutes and he let me go. Any state trooper would have hauled my ass to jail.  Just reporting an incident.  Do no not try this on my acct.
Joel 2001 FLHT

HIPPO

They are entitled to their culture and their laws, but IMO they should have no jurisdiction on federal or state highways.

If one goes for example to Mexico one exposes himself to capricious laws based on whatever, but simply by the act of leaving the US and crossing the border one pretty much consents to this.

Traveling within ones own country from point A to point B one is not granting that consent.

Further under the Dawes act indian land is owned by the United States as sovereign and the indians are granted right of occupancy.

http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jan/1/241490.html

f-x-d-w-g

I rode my 450 cc Honda through East St. Louis back in '72.  Rode my DWG through Wounded Knee in '06.  No problems either time...
Dan
Tijeras, NM

L-

Without your "papers" you ain't Indian on any reservation. Situational awareness is everything.  Best respect is to stay off "their" land.  My job has taken me to Pueblos to deal with lots of issues.   Money solves everything. 

L-

Kansas

July 31, 2009, 02:02:25 PM #18 Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:14:16 PM by Kansas
A few years ago my ignition switch mounting nut on a 1994 Low Rider came undone in tribal lands in South Dakota. Fortunately the key fob retained the nut so I was pretty lucky.  I tore off all my gear, removed the seat, and got it fixed at a general store/gas station in the middle of no where.  It took about an hour and I only saw one other white person the whole time and a lot of people came and went.  Everybody went about their business and ignored me and my crap spread all over.

Ardy

I've rode SD18 every time on the way to Sturgis, never any trouble and a nice ride...no traffic. The only trouble I have ever had on the road was in Kansas. Back in the 70's buddy and I were in a restaurant for breakfast and a couple of redneck, buckle wearing goobers thought it was okay to make fun of our hair. Of course they were surrounded by their redneck boys so they were tough. Who stuck up for us? Big 'ol Indian gentleman, his hair was longer than ours. The good old boys could only stare at their plates. Doesn't matter where you are there's $hit people every where.

Stop in Mission there's ususally a stand or two selling jewelry. Nice stuff. If you don't feel safe on SD18 hit the slab I90.
Guns don't kill people.
Drivers on Cell Phones do.

Azgunner

Rode thru a few of the various reservations in Utah & Az. & have never had a problem. Often get waves from kids & teenagers who're walking along the side of the road. There have been a few times I could sense animosity at some of the stores I've stopped at though. Definitely not a good idea to be around a group of drunk indians though. Alcohol & indians DO NOT mix well. Not meant as a put down just a fact.

A reservation wouldn't keep me from getting to my destination, just another place where you've got to realize you've got to pay more attention & be considerate of another culture.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Milehog

I grew up around Indians and consider myself fortunate to have called a few friends. What Azgunner said about the booze is true, these friends I mentioned were all ruined by it.
Respect goes a long ways but the times they are a changing in certain areas. Sadly I see some Indians learning victimology from other minorities and it is just as destructive to them as any other group.
I see no problem riding through, just mind your own business as you would anywhere else. What MMOCGuy said about their sense of humor is accurate. If you are anxious they may have some fun with you.
Let me qualify this by stating my experiences have been with Pacific Northwest (Salish) tribes. Dunno how different other tribes-cultures general attitudes may be.
Enjoy the ride.
Proud IBA member

HIPPO

Just to clarify, it's not a concern for personal safety.

My problem is with tribal police having the ability to stop and question you on a state or federal highway, even if they are just fishing for a couple of bucks. It's the principle. I could care less if they have some authority within their own community.

I have no problem with feds, state police or DPS that have legitimate authority, we get along fine.

Ultrashovel

July 31, 2009, 05:33:48 PM #23 Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:13:45 AM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: 86fxwg on July 30, 2009, 02:35:45 PM
Respect, not a problem.Ever try riding thru east st loius? not smart if u know what i mean!

I chuckled to myself when you mentioned East St. Louis (Illinois). My brother and I took a trip in his '39 Lincoln coupe from Chicago to St. Louis many years ago. When we saw East St. Louis, we locked the doors and got the hell out of there. It was scary even back then and I suspect, it's not much better now.

In the L.A. Area, the only places that are a match for it are in East L.A. If you get caught there, you may not be leaving alive. A few years back a tourist strayed in to one of the neighborhoods near the downtown interchange and the whole family was shot to death. Nice.

HroadhogD1

Been through the reservations more than a few times.  Like was said respect was everything.  The worst that ever happened was asked for money (which I did not give) and a cigarette(let him have one). 

apes

There is a lot of history along that road, Pine Ridge and Wounded Knee...it'd be worth boning up before going...
East LA = Berdoo is getting so bad the African Americans are moving out

FLH_Rider

Show of respect gets you a long way anywhere,,,

HIPPO

August 10, 2009, 01:46:43 PM #27 Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:48:55 PM by HIPPO
Interesting.
Now we have a federal court agreeing with my position.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/28/2864.asp
http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2009/us-bressi.pdf

"Tribal police has no jurisdiction over non-indians on state highways that go through reservations"

Ran into it by chance just now, and figured it is relevant to the discussion a week or so ago.

"We conclude that a roadblock on a public right-of-way within tribal territory, established on tribal authority, is permissible only to the extent that the suspicionless stop of non-Indians is limited to the amount of time, and the nature of inquiry, that can establish whether or not they are Indians," the court ruled.

seattledyna

that would really confuse traveling microsoft employee's... "why yes sir..I am from Mumbai India, I am Indian as you speak of"

Kansas

That's funny, seattledyna.  But I guess you would know being from Washington home of Microsoft.

L-

We have had our share of the "governors" of indian affairs putting up those concrete barricades and threatening to put them up, on state roads.  It is all M-O-N-E-Y.  Yep, the sign says state road this or that but they patrol it.  I really don't have a problem with this but sometimes it turns ugly.  But what a better road to test your bike and hit the hills at 110 mph or better if only indian law is there?

L-

Dennis The Menace

Mike, dont get me started....my job is going over there, just a matter of time.

Dennis

HIPPO

Quote from: seattledyna on August 10, 2009, 02:13:25 PM
that would really confuse traveling microsoft employee's... "why yes sir..I am from Mumbai India, I am Indian as you speak of"

Different tribe   :teeth:, even Navajo's would not have jurisdiction over Apaches for example. Tribal police jurisdiction is strictly limited to the members of their own rez as presumably they agreed to be under their jurisdiction. Basically just like a security guard has no jurisdiction or authority anywhere other then in the store that hired him. And even that is real questionable.

seattledyna

Quote from: Kansas on August 10, 2009, 02:41:18 PM
That's funny, seattledyna.  But I guess you would know being from Washington home of Microsoft.

yep, we lived in Redmond WA., home of Microsoft, we were pretty much the only people in the neighborhood that didnt work there, lol, we really did like all our east Indian neighbors though, they are a very polite people by nature...just lousy drivers!

Bigs

Been out West many times and talked to many Native Americans. Sometimes it took a little time for them to trust us or maybe understand what we were doing there. It seemed that when they knew we were only interested in better understanding their culture and not trying to put them down or make fun of some of their customs they would open up and we would talk maybe for hours. We found it interesting and thanked them for talking with us. A lot of it has to do with how you treat people.
   Bigs

Jeffd

all reservations are not created equal.  Montana has many and most are great and I work/worked and grew up with many natives many good people.  On the other hand my wife and I drove thru a reservation in Minn.  Red lake or something like that did not seem like a friendly place to camp for the night.

Paniolo

My only suggestion is RESPECT, and bring your own beer. Out in parts of AZ you get on reservation lands and there is NO alcohol. So don't to pull into the Quickie Mart and expect to find it in the refridgerated section.

The thing I found amazing was the toughness and the resiliancy of the native American people. I remember riding down a reservation road for miles in the middle of nowhere and see a guy walking along the road. There was NOTHING in either direction for miles and here he is walking. And I mean a fellow older than me walking in 100 temps under the blazing sun. No water, no sunblock, no fancy LLB heat shielding clothes. Just boots, jeans and a long sleeve shirt with a wide brim hat.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Bladesmith

Here in New Mexico Native Americans Love Harleys...Go ride thru the 4 Corners region and you'll be amazed at the amount of Indian Bikers...Couple of years ago I went on a Poker Run for Native American causes...Great bunch of crazy ass bikers!!....Remember these folks are the real Americans...We've always treated them like dirt yet their ready to fight in every war..
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

Fast04Deuce

The tribal police can give you a ticket or arrest you anyplace in the state, on or off the reservation. You can not be tried in an Indian court, they have no jurisdiction over non tribal members. I know this to be a fact because I got nailed off the reservation by a Navajo cop and convicted in Flagstaff superior court. I pleaded the no jurisdiction thing and the judge told me "I guess you aren't as smart as you thought you were."

wholehog

I got picked out of the middle of a line of 5 vehicles on a 2 lane road through tribal nation in AZ by oncoming moving radar.....he says I was going faster than everyone else....told me that I could choose between a speeding ticket or a ticket for "wasting non-renewable resources" for $25

wavlovr1

I have a friend who works for the schools on a res. My advice is avoid them if possible and definitely do not be on one at night. The favorite sport is to race cars on the two lanes at night with no lights on...

jb

s-glide76

If you have a weapon with you you are legal as long as you are on the highway, but if you pull into a gas station or anywhere else on a reservation chance's are you are breaking their laws. I know here in Arizona a couple of reservations recognize Arizona's CCW but I can't ever remember which one's so my philosophy has always been concealed means concealed.
I like to support reservation businesses and to bs with the locals. Treat them with the respect they deserve and they will do the same.
                                                                                                                                                          Later, Mike

thealaskan©

Never really gave it much thought, but it was a good read... good info to know.  Thanks for the input.

Fast04Deuce

Quote from: Fast04Deuce on August 17, 2009, 10:51:17 AM
The tribal police can give you a ticket or arrest you anyplace in the state, on or off the reservation. You can not be tried in an Indian court, they have no jurisdiction over non tribal members. I know this to be a fact because I got nailed off the reservation by a Navajo cop and convicted in Flagstaff superior court. I pleaded the no jurisdiction thing and the judge told me "I guess you aren't as smart as you thought you were."

"The district court relied in considerable part on the authority of tribal officers to investigate violations of state and federal law by any person within the Reservation. When tribal officers discover such violations, they may detain the violators in order to deliver them to state or federal authorities."

Of course they do not have to detain the violators in order to deliver them to state or federal authorities, they can just give you a ticket.