May 09, 2024, 02:48:05 PM

News:

front caliper on a 84 flh

Started by 77flglide, July 29, 2009, 08:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

77flglide

I striped out the threads on the front caliper where the brake line attaches. can this be repaired with a coil insert  or drill and tap?
thanks

Lew

Ouch!!  There might be a repair kit for this...dunno.  In the distant past I've repaired these by welding a half inch or longer slug over the top then drilling and tapping it out to eighth inch tapered pipe.  Need to weld a piece on top to get enough meat for the taper pipe tap to tap far enough to work.  Then I use a brass fitting to get the brake line hooked up.  Use a brass fitting and leave it in the caliper threading the brake line into it instead of the soft aluminum.  When drilling the slug for tapping make sure to keep the fluid hole (through hole) the same size as stock then drill for the eighth inch pipe tap without going through into the piston bore.  Drill the slug using the fluid hole size first then use a rod or drill bit through the slug into the fluid hole for alignment before welding. It'll be better than new!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

stroker800

What Lewy said,,,ots bout the only fix I,ve heard of,,,or new caliper.
Dave

btalley

I have a set of dual calipers from an 83' flh I'll sell for what I paid for them.

Thanks

77flglide

Thanks for the replys.I had my local shop tap the caliper to take a female fitting and new brake line to the master cylinder works great