May 03, 2024, 05:04:06 AM

News:

OEM paper cyl base gasket

Started by xlfan, Yesterday at 06:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breeze, sporty88, 98fxstc, flstffxe, mike8875, capn, SP33DY and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

xlfan

Has anyone got a magic formula for a liquid that can dissolve this base gasket besides harsh mechanical removal with the risk of damaging the cylinder base gasket surface?

rigidthumper

Sometimes you can soak them in Knock'er Loose and then scrape with a plastic blade.
Sometimes it's easy, sometimes you wanna buy a lathe so you can machine that stuff off  :wink: .
(I bought the lathe)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

SP33DY

I tried a few things that didn't work!

Now when I get an Evo cylinder with baked on gaskets, I use a mandrel to hold the cylinder in the lathe and carefully skim it off. Often when I do this I find out that the base is no longer flat. There are areas that didn't "clean-up" once the gasket is mostly gone. It usually only takes a skim of a few thousandths of an inch to restore the whole base to flat. It's faster to do it this way than with the old Trock lapping plate. Going back together, I like to install oil drain pigtails (V-Twin 16-0912). To tap the drain hole I use a spiral flute "drill tap" (McMaster Carr 3464A21 or 2748A47). The drill tap is a close fit in the hole so the tapping operation is straight.

drill tap 1

drill tap 2

SixShooter14

Quote from: SP33DY on Yesterday at 08:00:26 AMI tried a few things that didn't work!

Now when I get an Evo cylinder with baked on gaskets, I use a mandrel to hold the cylinder in the lathe and carefully skim it off. Often when I do this I find out that the base is no longer flat. There are areas that didn't "clean-up" once the gasket is mostly gone. It usually only takes a skim of a few thousandths of an inch to restore the whole base to flat. It's faster to do it this way than with the old Trock lapping plate. Going back together, I like to install oil drain pigtails (V-Twin 16-0912). To tap the drain hole I use a spiral flute "drill tap" (McMaster Carr 3464A21 or 2748A47). The drill tap is a close fit in the hole so the tapping operation is straight.

drill tap 1

drill tap 2

Exactly how I did it after a few days of wrestling with plastic razor blade scrapers and carb cleaner, it went on the lathe.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i