May 09, 2024, 12:48:31 AM

News:

Computer for Dyno

Started by hrdtail78, September 22, 2009, 07:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdtail78

What are most doing for this.  Building your own?  Modifing store bought ones?  I am having a tough time finding anything newer with XP or RS232 ports or 2.    Would like to hear about what people out there have set up.  Was thinking of 1 computer strickly dyno and another for whatever else is going on.
Semper Fi

FLTRI

Quote from: hrdtail78 on September 22, 2009, 07:23:36 PM
What are most doing for this.  Building your own?  Modifing store bought ones?  I am having a tough time finding anything newer with XP or RS232 ports or 2.    Would like to hear about what people out there have set up.  Was thinking of 1 computer strickly dyno and another for whatever else is going on.
Try calling Dynojet for suggestions. I bet they can steer you to just what you need.
Bob
PS - Assuming you are talking about a DJ?
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Admiral Akbar

Most of the newer USB to RS232 converting cables work pretty good. I've not seen problems with them in a while.. Use em mainly for communications to test equipment with RS232 interfaces and to embedded systems. Should be easy to get a PC with a ton of USB ports.. Dynojet could probably recommend a converter cable to use..

If you have pci bus slots you can add a card from Digi, National instruments, or Kontron.. These guys all have good stuff. The also have a number of different way to get RS232.. from Ethernet, USB  etc.. You can also build a nice rack mount PC from Kontron with a bunch od PCI slots but it will be pricey. Digi has plug-in serial card that will support up to 32 RS232 channels IIRC.

http://www.digi.com/products/serialcards/index.jsp
http://www.ni.com/
http://us.kontron.com/products/boards+and+mezzanines/   -- Bottome of page.

Heck if you got an ISA bus slot, you used to able to get 2 ports for 15 bux.. I may have one around here that you can use.. Beware. It ain't plug n ply like the new stuff..  :wink:

Max

Herko

HT78.
Drop me a PM.
Quick chat on phone is better for me.
I've been through the paces.
What conventional wisdom would say works best, doesn't work best for tuning I've found.
With help from a member that is geographically located between us, I've got a good kick azz computer now built from the ground up just for tuning that happily multi tasks etc.

Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

FLTRI

Quote from: Herko on September 23, 2009, 10:09:37 AM
What conventional wisdom would say works best, doesn't work best for tuning I've found.
With help from a member that is geographically located between us, I've got a good kick azz computer now built from the ground up just for tuning that happily multi tasks etc.
:up: :up:

wurk_truk

Off topic a bit.  But anymore, I have to buy Dells or HP laptops online and buy the model that still has a serial port installed.  I, too, find most converters work decent, but... there are times... so the laptops all get serial ports.  These are all XP, too.
Oh No!

hrdtail78

Herko,
  Sending you a PM.  Probably be the weekend before I get with you.  Going through a TTS class this week.  Thank you.  BTW, I do like the dual monitor setup.

DJ just regurgitated the manual of the minimums.  Said I should be able to run down to the store and pick whatever up I need.  I dont live in Vegas myself so stores are a little different around my neck of the woods.  They also don't want to talk about any other tuning devices besides the PC.  Go figure.  They say a serial to USB wont work.
Semper Fi

Herko

Reply sent.
Weekend is better time here too.

FLTRI

Quote from: hrdtail78 on September 23, 2009, 06:33:21 PM
DJ just regurgitated the manual of the minimums. 
Isn't that what you wanted?
They say a serial to USB wont work.
That is correct for the DJ dyno, at least that's what we've found.
Who's teaching the TTS calss?
Bob

hrdtail78

Doc is teaching the class at my shop.  So for great class.  Was looking more on the lines of a computer that would allow me to run winpep and TTS.  Mine will do it, but it needs to be upgraded.  Like I was told at the beginning of this week.  Why have a garage sale tower running a $25,000 machine?  So... I think I am going to build one and be done with it.  Thanks

Herko,
No PM recieved.
Semper Fi

Herko

Returned your email to your hotmail addy.